9 year old Sylenth1 just keeps kickin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Is 9 year old Sylenth1 the de facto standard for EDM?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:52 am

Of Course
45%
Are you kidding?
11%
Most top producers use it but I'm just not sure
11%
No, synth x,y,z has more features, PWM, is 64bit and has more modulation options.
34%

Total votes: 113

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sylenth1

Teksonik wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Sylenth1 is NOT worth $158.
Yes it IS........you can save your response........ :wink:
I will, because this isn't worth arguing over anymore.

wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
No it's not because you can't argue subjective. If S1 is not worth it to you then don't buy it........But don't assume that it's not worth the price to others. Someone else may consider it a bargain at that price. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
No it's not because you can't argue subjective. If S1 is not worth it to you then don't buy it........But don't assume that it's not worth the price to others. Someone else may consider it a bargain at that price. :wink:
Just out of curiosity, how much did you get your copy for?

wagtunes wrote: First of all, I am not cheap. I have spent over $10,000 on my music studio including all the plugins I've purchased.
Never let it be said that arguing on teh interwebz about gear is a cheap hobby.

Gamma-UT wrote:
wagtunes wrote: First of all, I am not cheap. I have spent over $10,000 on my music studio including all the plugins I've purchased.
Never let it be said that arguing on teh interwebz about gear is a cheap hobby.
It's not cheap. In fact, it can add up so fast. $60 for plug here, $35 for a plug there. You keep chipping away and suddenly April comes and it's time to do your taxes and your jaw drops to the floor with how much you've spent.

And the thing that bugs me more than anything is that when I got my PC for dedicated music production, I wanted to save a few bucks so I went with a Core 3. Had I know that the few hundred extra for a core 7 would have been a drop in the bucket next to what I've spent since, I would have gotten a better PC. The one I have is fine but having that little extra power would have been nice. Now, with everything that I have on this PC, no way am I upgrading and having to reinstall all this stuff. It would take me days.

But yeah, this "hobby" can get real expensive real fast.

wagtunes wrote: And the thing that bugs me more than anything is that when I got my PC for dedicated music production, I wanted to save a few bucks so I went with a Core 3. Had I know that the few hundred extra for a core 7 would have been a drop in the bucket next to what I've spent since, I would have gotten a better PC. The one I have is fine but having that little extra power would have been nice. Now, with everything that I have on this PC, no way am I upgrading and having to reinstall all this stuff. It would take me days.
Buy an i7 compatible with your motherboard, open your PC, unplug the i3, plug the i7, close the PC. Done.
I agree S1 is expensive but they start doing sales now.

GHOST19 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: And the thing that bugs me more than anything is that when I got my PC for dedicated music production, I wanted to save a few bucks so I went with a Core 3. Had I know that the few hundred extra for a core 7 would have been a drop in the bucket next to what I've spent since, I would have gotten a better PC. The one I have is fine but having that little extra power would have been nice. Now, with everything that I have on this PC, no way am I upgrading and having to reinstall all this stuff. It would take me days.
Buy an i7 compatible with your motherboard, open your PC, unplug the i3, plug the i7, close the PC. Done.
I agree S1 is expensive but they start doing sales now.
According to my PC tech it isn't that simple. Going from an I3 to an I7 is almost a certain Windows reinstall.

That's one of the great things about S1, it uses very little CPU even on my AMD computer :) Since it sounds so good, it's code must be highly optimized.

wagtunes wrote: According to my PC tech it isn't that simple. Going from an I3 to an I7 is almost a certain Windows reinstall.
You can safely change your processor, and your PC tech :)

GHOST19 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: According to my PC tech it isn't that simple. Going from an I3 to an I7 is almost a certain Windows reinstall.
And you'll personally guarantee me that if I get an I7 processor that exactly matches my mother board, or whatever it has to do, that I won't have to reinstall Windows and all my stuff and if I do, you'll personally come here and do it for me?

You will have reinstall the intel chipset drivers, and some Challenge/Response plugs will need re-authorizing as the machine ID changes, other than that it should be fine, I did exactly this (I3->I7) last year and at that time didn't reinstall windows or any software. Just be sure to get the correct socket 1155 or 1156. The biggest pain for me is that I have a quiet cooler which is bolted to the back of the motherboard, and so had to take the board out to get it off. If you use the stock or another front fastening heatsink/cooler it's easy enough.

wagtunes wrote:
GHOST19 wrote:
And you'll personally guarantee me that if I get an I7 processor that exactly matches my mother board, or whatever it has to do, that I won't have to reinstall Windows and all my stuff and if I do, you'll personally come here and do it for me?
You obviously don't understand how computers work, and that's quite hilarious...

Do you know how to make a backup image of your Windows installation using Macrium Reflect, MiniTool Drive Copy, or a similar program?

fluffy_little_something wrote:That's one of the great things about S1, it uses very little CPU even on my AMD computer :) Since it sounds so good, it's code must be highly optimized.
I agree!!!
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

basslinemaster wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
GHOST19 wrote:
You obviously don't understand how computers work, and that's quite hilarious...

Do you know how to make a backup image of your Windows installation using Macrium Reflect, MiniTool Drive Copy, or a similar program?
No, actually I don't. Why would I need to know a lot about computers to make music? I'm a composer, not a PC tech. That's why I'm asking and that's why I rely on my PC tech to tell me what can and can't be done.

Well, if you know how to install loads of VSTs, and you know how to use a DAW to make music, then there is no reason you shouldn't know how to make an image of your Windows installation... If you were only using your PC to surf the internet and send e-mails, then I can understand now bothering to find these things out, but this is pretty basic stuff, especially for somebody who has bought so many VSTs... And it puts a lot of the things you have said in this thread into perspective...

Return to “Instruments”