Unconventional Plug-ins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@BBFG# Oh, Omnisphere certainly POPULARized a number of things that were once weird and now undoubtedly CONVENTIONAL, but stuff within it is purpose-made for unconventional results — like the granular aspect of the engine. That's more obvious with the V2 additions, of course. Granular synthesis is still weird-ass to many people out there...

I'm not referring to the companies or overall tools so much as features/benefits within them which are relevant to what Ridan requested. :)

On a critical but constructive note: I'm really disappointed by iZotope Iris on a number of fronts, I've gotten some good sounds out of it but much of what's included feels uninspiring to me, and it doesn't help that patch browsing feels sluggish (on an SSD). I don't like how Iris leapfrogged to v2 without fixing fundamental performance bugs in v1 (like clicky artifacts during realtime performance). Those usability issues get in the way of its vision, though I can't judge based on v2 because I haven't upgraded (I lost interest).

I think in learning from others, I'm really enamored with tools that feel like a child's playground and can produce surprising and desired results very quickly — given a kid's metaphorical "color outside the lines" approach, they could be very strange to unadventurous ears. But devoid of labels and other words, I may simply love these arranged sounds as pure constructs.
Friendly greetings! I'm Torley. I amplify your awesome.
My music and more are @ torley.com!

It's funny the only thing you got out of my post was putting Omnisphere out of this category.

What it does, it does well enough and even better than many other romplers.
It just seems, sounds and operates VERY conventional to me.

But moving on (or repeating from that post). There are some Kontakt and Reaktor offerings I do find unique enough from the start, as well as many of the modelers already mentioned, (even if somewhat quirky and limited).

In the ET page, I like the Wavechaser and Arcwave and might even pick up Mogi if another sale bounces around. Like I said though, the neon GI can hurt your eyes after awhile.

@BBFG# Yeah, a sense of humor is important to spark new ideas. :) I reckon if someone is going to pay for Omnisphere — a relatively sizable amount! — that they oughta know HOW MUCH IS INCLUDED OMG. Its scope is really gargantuan and doesn't invite direct comparison easily, and limiting one's preconceived definition of it as a "rompler" isn't useful, since it can factually do a lot more. So I getcha. I adore seeing that joy when someone discovers new things can be done with a tool they've owned awhile. That's why I don't deplore presets off the bat, they should be useful starting points to set a framework and the tone for what a musical tool is capable of, and also invite experimentation to adjust an increasing amount of stuff to customize one's "signature sound" as intended. It can be intimidating to dig deeper though when there's so much going on, I understand. Patience is important, it's been several years and I'm still exploring Omnisphere (it's like one of those generational ships en route to the outer reaches of the cosmos)...

BUT GIVE ME MORE RANDOM/MUTATION CONTROLS PLZ I want to feel like a laboratory making all manner of Dr. Moreau-listic critters, sans the ethical quandaries.

Also, in looking at my shortlist of what I continue to enjoy, I need to give top votes to the remarkable stylings of both http://twistedtools.com/ (superb approach to Reaktor ensembles — so much that Native Instruments included their Polyplex, descended from S-Layer) and http://www.glitchmachines.com/ (the name says it almost all... wish Polygon allowed for modwheel support but they have many fresh approaches). They've both done a lot to advance the craft and make biomechanical sound design (a la Amon Tobin's ISAM but beyond) a lot more accessible.

I hope that longer-term, this thread will serve as a useful compilation of eclectic tools that inspire future googling musicians in search of the strange yet under-curated. I remember the times it's been difficult for me to seek out such tools — sometimes under the "FSU" or "glitch" categories — but otherwise it can be tricky to categorize by nature.
Last edited by Torley on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

In true form. Nothing worth getting into though.

How about the multitude of other things that do fit the OP though?
Certainly many more unconventional for better on topic discussion here.

BBFG# wrote: How about the multitude of other things that do fit the OP though?
Certainly many more unconventional for better on topic discussion here.
I've named a few I hadn't seen already mentioned, and am excited to learn of more underrepresented gems out there! :tu: :phones:

Ridan and others who dig Kinetic Metal, you'll want to subscribe to Jeremiah Savage's blog to learn what he's up to next: http://echoexist.tumblr.com/

Ah_Dziz wrote:Spectrumworx along with a good reverb and compressor are sound design heaven.
Wow! I'd never heard of that one before.. and have to say within a few moments of messing with the trial that I am very impressed. Thanks for mentioning this!
Torley wrote:BUT GIVE ME MORE RANDOM/MUTATION CONTROLS PLZ I want to feel like a laboratory making all manner of Dr. Moreau-listic critters, sans the ethical quandaries.
Completely agree with you, Torley! As much as I enjoy exploring presets and tweaking controls on an init patch, playing with a synth's randomize function can be endless fun! I wish more plugins had a randomize button...

Naenyn wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:Spectrumworx along with a good reverb and compressor are sound design heaven.
Wow! I'd never heard of that one before.. and have to say within a few moments of messing with the trial that I am very impressed. Thanks for mentioning this!
Torley wrote:BUT GIVE ME MORE RANDOM/MUTATION CONTROLS PLZ I want to feel like a laboratory making all manner of Dr. Moreau-listic critters, sans the ethical quandaries.
Completely agree with you, Torley! As much as I enjoy exploring presets and tweaking controls on an init patch, playing with a synth's randomize function can be endless fun! I wish more plugins had a randomize button...
No problem. I shout it out every chance I get so that more people will buy it and it will continue developing. In case you haven't noticed in your demoing, every single parameter has its own LFO and every module can effect just part of the spectrum and also has a wet dry control. I'm hoping one day they will allow for parallel editing and a feedback path with the ability to set a delay time and insert modules into the feedback path. Also be sure to try it at all different fft bin sizes. It changes the sound drastically as with most fft based processors. Look out for bugs though. It has been known to crash from time to time.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

PANO - Procedural Ambient Noise Orchestra
A real-time multichannel synthesizer dedicated to dynamic ambient noises.
I recommend the full version with granular synth to create own presets.

http://www.noisemakers.fr/pano

The Container for Kontakt
A massive 220 lbs plain metal container, played with all kinds of sticks and mallets, including double bass bows, super balls, hand drumming, and other accessories.
Outstanding integrated mixer for many mic positions and granular synth options :o
Combined with a good step sequencer or arp you get spectacular organic rhythms.

http://www.spaectrumarts.com/products/thecontainer

Image this one is slightly unconventional. bubllsy

Using a tracker can lead to interesting results. Modplug, Renoise...

highkoo wrote:+1 on lacking documentation in the Reaktor UL...
The wonky GUIs dont bother me much, but it does seem like the weirdest stuff is often the least documented- and also, often a big hit on the cpu...

Oh, great thread for this! :)
Case in point, the weirdest-
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/co ... l/1793753/

Insane GUIs, insane sounds, insane CPU hits, but genius!!
Easily too much for a 'serious' musician, but I really love them.
His YouTube vids are amazeballs;
https://www.youtube.com/user/UMBAHproject/videos

I think we need more stuff like this, what with all this technology available to all of us. We can use some of it for wacky experiments. :hyper:

I would love to use cal scotts reacktor ensembles in some of my music creations but it overloads my audio interface and shuts it down :(
I cannot work out how to get around this?
Any advice from folks would be appreciated.
I have komplete audio 6,windows 7 64 bit home, ableton 8.4.2
It shuts down in standalone mode as well.

thanks

Just yesterday I was trying to use some of them for more than playtime...

I havent had any interface problems, but boy they are incredibly heavy on the cpu. Im guessing the graphics needs are pretty taxing on a system too.
I have an i7 and a mountain of ram and most of his .ens crush it.
Most of them run ok for me, but the cpu use makes it very difficult to use them 'live' in a working project...

Dunno about the interface crashing...
Maybe try with asio4all drivers and see if you get the same result?

Also, you can contact Cal Scott via the email address for Admiral Gial Ackbar on his page. :hihi:
He replied in good humor and sent me the one .ens that is no longer online.
Although, it does not seem like he is very concerned with 'optimization'. :hihi:
ImageImageImageImage

spidergod wrote: I would love to use cal scotts reacktor ensembles in some of my music creations but it overloads my audio interface and shuts it down :(
I cannot work out how to get around this?
Oh, hey,
You can drop the sample rate down in the upper right of reaktor and turn it back on.
I did have to do that with one of em.
ImageImageImageImage

+1 for omnisphere for unique sounds, doubly so for the orb.
+1 for kinetic metal and Heavyocity Damage

and this http://www.native-instruments.com/en/co ... l/1793753/

Just wow! I had no idea reaktor could host such complex synths. Its a mesh between synthesis and video gaming of all things. Its quite refreshing and has seriously peaked my interest for reaktor. Please list some other cool ones that I can take a look at.

To add to the list, I really like the Herbatos Kontakt Libraries, some really weird but high quality sounds in that one.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Return to “Instruments”