How large should a UI be at the most? Post your opinion.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like the title says.

How large should a static (i.e. non-resizable) UI be at the most.

The idea is to find out where the point is when most people would find a UI too big.

how long is a piece of string?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:how long is a piece of string?

Exactly. You're asking in the wrong forum: A single phone call will tell you! :tu:
chuck-norris-knows-how-long-a-piece-of-string-is-thumb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It must fit in a monitor with 1,200 x 800 resolution.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:It must fit in a monitor with 1,200 x 800 resolution.
except on my monitor that is double that.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

one pixel only

Resizable vector graphics

You shouldn't go over about 1440x1080 if you actually want to fit on the majority of screens. Ideally you want things to be as small as possible with reasonable 10 to 12 pt font at the smallest without being cluttered.

A user with a high-res screen can always use a doubled resolution version of your GUI which should be trivial enough to produce a "skin" for (assuming your code is good) but a user with a low-res screen will never be able to use a GUI that is too large. Worst case, the high-res screen can simply be zoomed without increasing the size of the content but the low-res screen can not be dealt with this way without introducing aliasing and making the text difficult to read.

Xhip for example is 762 x 516, although this is a bit smaller than I'd prefer it feels comfortable on the screens I own up to 120dpi. At 200dpi or more I would likely just zoom 2x.

Another project I've recently worked on is 950 x 680.

So this is the general range I think is best suited to current monitors/resolutions, and unfortunately higher res screens are nowhere in sight at this point despite the promise of higher DPI screens used in tablets.

I'd love to see smaller (20" or less ?) 200 dpi screens at resolutions like 4608 x 2880, that just seems unlikely to happen any time soon.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

SJ_Digriz wrote:how long is a piece of string?
Usually as long as you make it.

Thats not the topic though, i was more interested in "It shouldnt be larger than <size>".

Thanks anyway.

sjm wrote:Resizable vector graphics
^^ this :tu:

Yes, resizable vector graphics. In this day and age of ultra high resolution displays, resizable should be the norm.

Doing actual math instead of just throwing numbers out there:

sqrt((4608/240)^2 + (2880/240)^2) = 22"

So my suggested screen size would be 22" 240 DPI 4608 x 2880.

This is unrealistic however as the majority of people don't see the benefit of higher resolution. If you're watching a film (on a PC? why? WTF?) the film is most likely blurry enough that people won't be able to see the difference at a normal viewing distance.

If you're working with artwork however (aka vector graphics) and text I think 240 DPI would be excellent.

In any case that isn't happening so the best resolutions are less than 1440 x 1080 or so.

The "resizable vector graphics" idea is stupid, as people don't seem to understand that this dictates the sort of graphics presented and requires an insane amount of hardware acceleration and additional investment in the code. By all means, if you're creating gradients and lines and shapes for something like CAD or mapping or a web browser, use re-scalable graphics rather than bitmaps.

That just isn't likely to be how you design a GUI for a plugin.

Don't trust what people ask for, customers don't know what they want and when they do they're absolutely terrible at explaining it clearly.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:You shouldn't go over about 1440x1080 if you actually want to fit on the majority of screens. Ideally you want things to be as small as possible with reasonable 10 to 12 pt font at the smallest without being cluttered.
This is very close to what i was thinking.

Thanks.
aciddose wrote:A user with a high-res screen can always use a doubled resolution version of your GUI which should be trivial enough to produce a "skin" for (assuming your code is good) but a user with a low-res screen will never be able to use a GUI that is too large.
Thats why i was asking.

Ive gotten a little sick of miniature knobs and microfonts, so i was thinking of redoing an old project of mine and make everything real large, but im not sure how far i should go since not everyone is using a 1920x1200 screen. (Or even bigger.)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
sjm wrote:Resizable vector graphics
^^ this :tu:
Like i said, static.

Resizable would of course be optimal but usually thats not supported.

(Not in many cases anyway.)

It should fit on a 15 inch laptop screen :x
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Return to “Instruments”