What was the first computer you owned?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:My first "music" computer was a ...
Mine was a Pentium II (Multi-purpose), somewhere between '93 and '97. I got my first dedicated one in 2011/2012, a Dell Latitude E6520 (i5 Sandy Bridge) laptop.

Doug1978 wrote:Image

Though I could never get it to play any games.
So I traded it for my best friend's BBC Micro B...

LOL :D :D :D
Wise decision..... NOT!!! :clown: :clown: :clown:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

My first computer was an Atari 520st ... used it to run Pro-12 when I was a Noob.

(used to play Lemmings and Galaxians a lot in those days) :hihi:

Hmmmm, let me think.

If my memory serves it was a 286 XT. I think that sounds right :shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

1984, an xt with a turbo that sped it up to 4.7 hertz
Cost 3K and I killed it stone dead in the first 15 minutes.
(I wonder what f/disk does?)
Whoops.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:1984, an xt with a turbo that sped it up to 4.7 hertz
Whoops.
Ouch.

Silly man. Funny though :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Whoops.
Ouch.

Silly man. Funny though :D
My brother brought it back to life..took him a few hours...of driving...and then three more to reformat everything.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

In the mid-80s, I bought and built a Sinclair ZX-81 kit. While technically a "computer", I never considered it a useful computer.

But in 1991, I got a hand-me-down Acer AT with an 8080 processor and two 5-1/4" floppy drives (no hard disk). The day job sprung for a trio of new 486 machines for the front office and surplussed their old stuff. I got one of the clunkers.

I tricked it out with a refurbed 100MB MFM hard disk, bought an under-the-counter copy of MS-DOS 4.01, added the full 640 kB complement of RAM :hihi: , and a really early MPU-401 MIDI interface. To my great delight, found it could run the old DOS version of Cakewalk. Never looked back.

Whoops.
4.7 Hz? That's a million time slower than mine was. :wink:

An Amiga 500.
Bought it to learn 10 finger typing originally so I could rewrite a novel for stage use.
Took me two weeks to learn the typing part (best thing I ever did), but then we didn't get the stage rights for the novel and the plan failed.

A while later I found "Bars n Pipes" (amazing modular concept for the time) and bought a Doepfer LMK3 and a Roland U-220...

Still the best keyboard I've ever touched (weighted, Fatar, non-hammer-action) - re-bought one from Ebay some years ago, repaired it, love it :-)

Oh the memories... :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Fujitsu i486 8MB RAM, 80MB HD. Good for Assembler and C programming. Actually a server donated to me.
Bought a Pentium II 233Mhz 256MB RAM, 2GB HD only when I felt MIDI sequencing and audio recording was OK on PC.

Still synched ADATs for audio to the MiDI on PC. Mixed that up with Emagic's AudioWerks PCI Card. The whole collection of rack modules like Ensoniq ASR10, and ROMplers. Now its all possible in the digital domain. Really miss patching stuff to the outboard gear like pre amps, compressors and EQs, playing with cable and mic selection. It really does sound different, but its cleaner and faster now.

The nice warm feeling of all that circuitry baking in the room. Blowing up occasionally. Audio cables, speaker cables, power cables, computer cables.
It don't mean a thing IIAGTS :D

deft_bonz wrote:
Doug1978 wrote:Image

Though I could never get it to play any games.
So I traded it for my best friend's BBC Micro B...

LOL :D :D :D
Wise decision..... NOT!!! :clown: :clown: :clown:
Hmmm.... you say that.
But bollocks to a Fairlight when you're nine years old and can catch gremlins (or whatever they are?) in your JCB Digger :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvguXRnlMZE

Doug1978 wrote: Hmmm.... you say that.
But bollocks to a Fairlight when you're nine years old and can catch gremlins (or whatever they are?) in your JCB Digger :P
You mean you had a Fairlight when you were 9? :o

Sure :hihi:

That thing still looks gorgeous up to today, even if I know that the results and workflow are not exactly up to current standards :love:
Last edited by fmr on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I wish ;)

(in truth: Beeb > Archimedes >PC)

put me down for a c64. dont remember if i got it in 82 or 83. i do rememebr i had it hooked up to my tiny 13 inch tv though. i loved it.

on a related note...my first game console was a telstar alpha...which makes me feel older than having a c64 does. :(

WOW...its got THREE electronic game sounds!!!!
ImageImageImage

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”