What was the first computer you owned?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JCJR wrote:Years earlier lusted bad for an IBM 360 after programming them in college, but never had a spare half-million bucks laying around. :)
I never owned one, but that's the first computer that I touched when I was four years old. My father was a programmer and an IBM 360 was the first computer he worked with back in the sixties.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

JCJR wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Image

This thing...the Altair 8800... :scared:
Hard-core! Wanted one, couldn't afford it at the time. Initially, before they got boot roms, didn't they have to be booted by flipping the switches in sequence to toggle in the boot loader?
and had to be in correct order. :) :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Apple Mackintosh Classic. Monochrome display, whopping 40 MB hard disk space.

warp x wrote:whopping 40 MB hard disk space.
I always have to think twice before i tell people that. "Was it really 20MB ? That's nothing,had to be a 20GB,no wait it WAS 20 MB"

I had the Sinclair ZX81 with 16k RAM expansion that would wobble and crash the computer everytime someone walked across the floor.
Boy was I glad to get the C64 after that.

trimph1 wrote:
JCJR wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Image

This thing...the Altair 8800... :scared:
Hard-core! Wanted one, couldn't afford it at the time. Initially, before they got boot roms, didn't they have to be booted by flipping the switches in sequence to toggle in the boot loader?
and had to be in correct order. :) :lol:
I once had to do some PDP-11 programming with front-panel switches.

What a pain in the tits that was.

First computer I owned was a 1K ZX81. First I ever used/programmed, though, was a Cromemco CP/M system.

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

bluedad wrote:I had an IBM 286(?) in 1987. Had to upgrade the ram from 16k to 32k (which cost around $250, I think..it was a lot for that time) just to run Voyetra's Sequencer Plus. Also had to get a compatible Roland MPU interface.
Sure about that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Person ... IBM_XT_286
In 1986, the XT 286 (IBM 5162) with a 6 MHz Intel 80286 processor was introduced. Despite being marketed as a lower-tier model than the IBM AT, this system actually ran many applications faster than the ATs of the time with 6 MHz 286 processors, because the XT 286 had zero wait state RAM, which could move data more quickly.[1]:95 It came with standard 640 KB RAM on its system board (128 KB actually on board, plus 2 x 256 KB SIMMs) and with an AT-style 1.2 MB high density diskette plus a 20 MB hard disk.[7][8] Despite these features, an Infoworld review from March 1987 declared it a poor market value.[9]

My first PC was a 80086, 640K, 20MB hdd, MCGA graphics.
In those days, I wished I had an Amiga 500 instead :dog: , mostly for the quantity & quality of the games. Those trackers & the sampler looked cool too. :love:

Commodore 64.

I was a real computer musician back then, I had this:

:phones:

Those early 90's laptops didn't have a touchpad, instead you could get a "roller mouse" add on.

Kind of sad that those rollers has disappeared completey, they were handy

I can't get to grips with either rollerballs or touchpads.

But worse than all of these were these little sods...

I did some access database stuff for a guy I used to work with and he had one of these joystick thingies in the middle of the keyboard. After the second day, I made him buy a little mouse for it becasue I was about ready to throw his lappie at the wall in frustration with it.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

ATARI 1040 ST, I also used it live on stage for sequencing, the drummer had a click, sometimes it crashed so then we improvised until I had rebooted it. Exciting times!

Numanoid wrote:Those early 90's laptops didn't have a touchpad, instead you could get a "roller mouse" add on.

Kind of sad that those rollers has disappeared completey, they were handy

Trackballs?
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=172499

My first was an Atari 520st running Pro-8 ...

Used it for playing live in the 90's (it's still flight cased up with my two 1040STe's). :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”