SFZ Designer Project (0.25)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
sforzando SFZ Designer

lastest version: 0.25 beta
http://mildon.me/sfzdesigner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtT6W6jp12s

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

I'm building a visual sfz designer, and I'm just looking to hear some thoughts/ideas/suggestions before I wrap up. screenshot attached below.

Done with:
-draggable key-range and root key (piano roll)
-adjust velocity ranges by dragging the splits
-add unlimited round robin files per velocity layer
-set tune,vol,pan per file
-set vol,pan,transpose per key-range or group
-unlimited key-ranges (groups)
-up to 8 velocity layers (only 8 max for now, as that's all that can fit inside the velocity layer box. I'm planning to make a full-screen or a windowed velocity layer editor in the future.)

Now working on:
-ADSR panel: does this need to be graphic or would sliders be fine?
-loop modes

Contemplating:
-importing of entire folders and auto-group based on filename patterns
Like you can save your samples as: c4_hi_1.wav
Then you can specify the pattern in the program
[root]_[var1]_[var2].wav
Then you can set if-then rules based on the tokens in your pattern
It can work with any naming convention. :wink:

-SFZ import - this could be messy so maybe later.

Coming very soon. =)

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mildonm on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Looks fantastic!! I'm pretty sure people will love this. I would say just make sure to include opcodes for the filters, envelopes, loop points, etc. so that there can your designer will be at least full sfz 1.0 implementation.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Thanks! I'll be adding support for the other opcodes once I'm done with my present goals.

Great idea! I've often wondered about the lack of this. I think sliders from my point of view. The one thing I would like to see if I used it would be the ability to increment samples in a folder for easy replacement (like in Kontakt). It makes life easier when you have lots of groups of multi-samples in the same folder, rather than having to load them via a browser etc...

Are you releasing it to the public?

Looks good :tu:

This looks very useful for mapping large numbers of samples without going crazy. Weirder mappings would still probably be need to finalized in something else (sfzed, spreadsheet or text editor) but that's fine.

Couple of thoughts.

Does the number of velocity layers have to be the same for all notes, or can it vary?
mildonm wrote:Thanks! I'll be adding support for the other opcodes once I'm done with my present goals.
Even just an "add any opcode as freetext" button with no actual support for them would be a big help.

Astralp wrote:Great idea! I've often wondered about the lack of this. I think sliders from my point of view.
Thanks. I'm also more inclined to using just simple sliders.
The one thing I would like to see if I used it would be the ability to increment samples in a folder for easy replacement (like in Kontakt).
Do you mean a way to import an entire folder with samples? I'm also thinking of the best way to do this that would be compatible with any naming convention. So my idea is that the user can specify a filename pattern and then specify if-then rules, like I described above. Like if I name my files like this:

filename: 60_90-127_1.wav
I can set the pattern [key]_[lovel]-[hivel]_*.wav
then I can say to the program, set pitch_keycenter to [key], set lovel to [lovel]... and so on...
Are you releasing it to the public?
Yes! Nothing is final yet, but I plan to make it free for personal use. I will definitely release a completely free version with no restrictions while it's still in beta.

DSmolken wrote:Does the number of velocity layers have to be the same for all notes, or can it vary?
It can vary. When you're starting with a blank project, the default is you have 1 velocity layer. Then you click the + button and you will be able to create splits. To adjust the lovel/hivel you simply need to drag by the splits. In the screenshot, the first group has 5 layers, and the second has only 2. =)
Even just an "add any opcode as freetext" button with no actual support for them would be a big help.
That's an excellent idea. =)

Here's what happens when you double-click a velocity layer. The file fields will appear.. The interface is not yet done, but it should give you an idea. =)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kriminal wrote:Looks good :tu:
:)

As someone focused mainly on drum mapping, I'd mention the following:
- mapping by CC - so I can map CC4 (Foot Controller) to hi-hat
- mute groups and choking - so closing the hi-hat will trigger a group that mutes any open sounds

I'd also suggest some support for target-specific opcodes (i.e. non-standard ones), such as "sample=*silence" in ARIA Engine (Sforzando), as these can be very useful.

pljones wrote:As someone focused mainly on drum mapping, I'd mention the following:
- mapping by CC - so I can map CC4 (Foot Controller) to hi-hat
- mute groups and choking - so closing the hi-hat will trigger a group that mutes any open sounds

I'd also suggest some support for target-specific opcodes (i.e. non-standard ones), such as "sample=*silence" in ARIA Engine (Sforzando), as these can be very useful.
I'll consider that, thanks. I think I have a nice idea how to squeeze it into the current workflow/interface. =)

Nice !

mildonm wrote: Do you mean a way to import an entire folder with samples?
For my workflow, I tend to have a collection of multi-sampled instruments, say 4 samples each mapped across the range in a single folder. In Kontakt I can build the 1st instrument manually and then on the samples page there is a '>' button to increment the sample used in the folder. This then means I can make a mouse record macro to trigger to very quickly map the next instrument. It's a great way of working which I use a lot when working on similarly mapped collections which saves a lot of time.

Having the option to use file names is an excellent idea and would make this product stand out from the rest i will be watching this one.

Looks good Mildon. Glad to see you on the forum again. Are you still continuing to develop and update your other plugins, or did you decide to retire for awhile? Glad to see you made it through the bad weather, too.
Does personal use mean we can still use it as a tool for our own recordings that might be sold eventually?
Jim

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”