Waldorf Music at NAMM 2015: Nave for PC/Mac, Waldorf Edition 2, Attack for iOS, nw1 Eurorack module

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nave Waldorf Edition: Attack Waldorf Edition: D-Pole Waldorf Edition: PPG Wave 2.V

GreyLion wrote:I got this upgrade as soon as it hit the market. I have extremely fond memories of Attack, and was hoping that the new version would be even more awesome.

Then came all the problem reports and the intimations that it really wasn't an update, just a shinier GUI. Looks like there was unfinished business as far back as a few months ago, and no new patch for reported issues since then.

Is this thing ready to be installed, and worth the effort at this point, or should I continue to lay back and hope for improvement?
Attck v2 includes a lot more samples than v1 (when you click at the "Samoples" button in the Oscs) and has new effects (v1 only had a Delay). You could use a different effect (or the same effect with different settings) for each of teh 6 audio outputs.

PPG Wave 2.V and D-Pole indeed do not seem to have additional features except a new GUI.

krandr wrote:[
I'll buy it only after "preset exchange" implementation (Attack iOS <-> Attack PC/MAC). :x

Cross exchange works fine for Sugar Bytes and Arturia products for example.
When the Beta of Waldorf Edition 2 was done Attack for iOS did not really exist (except in an Alpha version maybe). Not sure if in a future update import/export is planned but theoretically it could be an option.

Anyway certain features in the iOS version do not seem to be included in the VST plugin yet. Not sure how far it is planned to make both the iOS and VST fully compatible in the future (ike done with Nave).

As already mentioned i do not own an iPad and have only played with Attack for iOS at the Musikmesse which was before the official Beta testing.
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Thanks, Ingonator! :hug:

I think I'll give the install a try this evening. I'm hoping for the best, as Attack really was something special, back in the day.

Just wondering if there is any news on the update for attack and the crash problem.

chuckwood wrote:Just wondering if there is any news on the update for attack and the crash problem.
Actually we just started re-checking the plugins starting with Waldorf Edition 2 (Largo + PPG 3.V later).

BTW which crash do you mean exactly? AFAIK you did not post in this thread yet.

Could you please give details like Plugin version, OS, host and a short description of the bug?

PS:
Personally i am currently able to test on this setup:
- all Waldorf plugins (except LE versions)
- OS: Windows 7 64-bit (maybe Windows 10 upgrade next week...)
- Hosts: Cubase Pro 8.0.20 64-bit, Cubase 7.5.40 64-bit, Cubase 7.5.40 32-bit, LIve 9.2 64-bit, Studio One 2.6.5 64-bit, Reaper 4.78 64-bit, Bitwig Studio 1.1.10, Pro Tools 11.3.1

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Thanks for the reply.
Apologies, I may have posted on the wrong thread but I seem to remember a similar report to mine about a month ago so I didn't add my own post as it appeared an update was in the works. (I don't have internet at home at the moment so finding forum posts on a phone is difficult, sorry for lack of specifics here.)

I'm using waldorf edition 2 LE on win7 64 bit with the latest release candidate of reaper 5 rc9.
If I try to launch attack as an instrument either vst2 or vst3 it crashes reaper. Interestingly if I add it as an effect it doesn't crash.
I don't have Reaper 4.78 installed anymore but I can install it tonight to see if I get the same problem (only able then to test vst2)

chuckwood wrote:Thanks for the reply.
Apologies, I may have posted on the wrong thread but I seem to remember a similar report to mine about a month ago so I didn't add my own post as it appeared an update was in the works. (I don't have internet at home at the moment so finding forum posts on a phone is difficult, sorry for lack of specifics here.)

I'm using waldorf edition 2 LE on win7 64 bit with the latest release candidate of reaper 5 rc9.
If I try to launch attack as an instrument either vst2 or vst3 it crashes reaper. Interestingly if I add it as an effect it doesn't crash.
I don't have Reaper 4.78 installed anymore but I can install it tonight to see if I get the same problem (only able then to test vst2)
Hi,

i only got the full Waldorf Edition 2 (v2.0.1) here. On Windows 7 64-bit and Reaper 4.86 64-bit i do not seem to get a crash with the Attack 64-Bit VST2 plugin.
Usually most people at Waldorf do not seem to tset on Beta versions of hosts for plugin testing, same for myself. Would be nice if you could also check in Reaper 4.78.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

OK so I've installed Reaper 4.78 and I've spent a bit of time trying to pin down the cause of the crashing in Reaper.

Loading a second instance of Attack on the same track crashes Reaper instantly.
Loading one instance of Attack as a floating window for more than about 5 seconds will crash Reaper when I then close that window. It doesn't need to be a floating window, it will eventually crash when I open the interface or close it no matter what my docking preferences are. (I initially thought this happened when I had several instances opened over seperate tracks but found it was still happening with just one instance.)

It's the first crash I've had in Reaper in a very long while and I am able to replicate it every time. I've also tested it with a portable install of Reaper and I've reinstalled waldorf edition.

Just as a side note, (as this may be useful when Reaper 5 comes out of its beta phase,) Reaper 5 is crashing even more rapidly. It seems to be the opening and closing of the UI, if I have 'auto-dock new FX chain windows' selected in preferences, the crash is immediate. If I don't have 'auto-dock new FX chain windows' selected, it will crash when I open or close the interface a few times, or just wait a while and then close it, much like with Reaper 4.78

Hmm, I don't get those crashes over here in R5 latest RC...

EvilDragon wrote:Hmm, I don't get those crashes over here in R5 latest RC...
It's very weird. Are you using waldorf edition 2 LE or full version?

chuckwood wrote:OK so I've installed Reaper 4.78 and I've spent a bit of time trying to pin down the cause of the crashing in Reaper.

Loading a second instance of Attack on the same track crashes Reaper instantly.
Loading one instance of Attack as a floating window for more than about 5 seconds will crash Reaper when I then close that window. It doesn't need to be a floating window,
But why do you load a second instance of Attack on the same track?

In some other hosts like e.g. Live 9.2 or Cubase Pro 8 it is not even possible to do that.

If i really need a second instance (while usually a single one with the 6 audio outputs is enough) i ad it to a second track.

FWIW even if i do not think it makes much sense to add a second instance in the same track here at Reaper 4.78 64-bit this seems to work without a crash.

Also tried the same in Bitwig Studio 1.1.10 where it is possible to add multiple instances to a single track too. No crash there too.
Anyway as Attack is no FX plugin the output for the first instance on that track with 2 instances will be muted until you remove the second instance.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
Sorry if my post was unclear, most of my post was referring to just one instance loaded. I also just happened to notice that loading a second instance made the crash instant and thought this might help the crash replication.

So just clarifying, it only takes one instance of attack to crash reaper on my system.

I've just tried within Tracktion to see if that is any different. Tracktion is unable to process attack when I do a plugin scan. D-pole and ppg wave went through the scan fine.

chuckwood wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
Sorry if my post was unclear, most of my post was referring to just one instance loaded. I also just happened to notice that loading a second instance made the crash instant and thought this might help the crash replication.

So just clarifying, it only takes one instance of attack to crash reaper on my system.
I could not replicate a crash here with either one or two instances on one track so far.
As Evil Dragon mentioned (he is a Waldorf tester too) he did not have a crash yet too.

BTW didn't you mentioned that you use the LE version of Waldorf Edition 2 ? Maybe there is a problem with that one in Reaper while i only got the full version here for testing at the moment.

Another question: Did you install the latest official version from the official website?

chuckwood wrote:I've just tried within Tracktion to see if that is any different. Tracktion is unable to process attack when I do a plugin scan. D-pole and ppg wave went through the scan fine.
Got 6 hosts here for testing (mostly major ones including e.g. Live, Cubase, Studio One and Pro Tools 11) but no Tracktion at the moment. Anyway in all those 6 hosts Attack seems to work without crashes.
Ingo Weidner

Oh man, I thought I had it for a minute there. I tried manually cleaning the registry as there seemed to be a duplicate entry, possibly from when i installed 2.00 but it's back to usual crashing.

It's near 1am here and i have a big shoot tomorrow morning so I will call it a night but thank you for the help, much appreciated. You are probably right with it being a possible issue with the LE edition.

Update:
I'm able to repeat the crash on another computer using a clean install with a freshly downloaded version of waldorf edition.

I have also noticed that the crashes start happening after I have input my licence info so I've emailed waldorf in case there is something wrong with the licence.

Return to “Instruments”