Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Krakatau wrote:
Galbanum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
rustman wrote:I've never heard it called tea before.
I stopped doing that long time ago, so today it is in fact tea, not a synonym for it :)

I'm lost. What are we talking about now? :?:
infused science...

:D
Nerever heard of anyone infusing it, you can smoke it alright but you don't infuse that shit :nutter:
Frensch translation (apparently untranslatable : "science infuse" (pretence of spontaneous knowledge)

From the Larousse dictionary :

il croit qu'il a la science infuse he thinks he's a fount of knowledge ou he's omniscient
je n'ai pas la science infuse ! I don't know everything !

the right translation for infused should be : infusé ...this metaphor obviously belongs to the deep, frensh litterature

..i thought it would have been a subtle joke if it ever made sense in english

NEVERTHELESS ...never heard of anyone smoking it, you can infuse it alright but don't smoke that ....tea !!! :P

_____

P.S. back to the topic, don't worry !!!

:)

This is confusing.

Three tangential questions with respect to the creation of KS raw materials:

Is a single cycle (2048 sample) waveform extracted from a sample a derivative work?

Is a tuning file extracted from a sample a derivative work?

Is an image created by whatever means from a sample a derivative work?

Sampleconstruct wrote:This is confusing.
forget it...

:tu:

I have no idea what any of you are talking about anymore. Seriously, lay off the Kool-aid!

I do love a nice hot cup of genmai-cha though...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

lnikj wrote:Three tangential questions with respect to the creation of KS raw materials:

Is a single cycle (2048 sample) waveform extracted from a sample a derivative work?

Is a tuning file extracted from a sample a derivative work?

Is an image created by whatever means from a sample a derivative work?

I think those are good questions. Of course, I don't know the answers. It's not like I will ever choose to make music for commercial purposes, but if I did, I would not hesitate to use all of the above. Seriously, it would take some diligent work to forensically tie those things to any existing works. I'll bet there's a lawyer who will dissagree...
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Getting into the deep end of things: Kaleidoscope fed into another Kaleidoscope....

https://soundcloud.com/2caudio/ks-gen-ost-morph-fx

This sound is entirely Kaleidoscope and nothing else. (Two instances.)

The first instance creates the musical phrase -- the rhythmic ostinato thing. Input modulation creates this as a 1/2 measure loop. (note period is set at 2 measures, but we are only using 1/4 of the image, so 1/2 measure -- Scanning Mode is Equal Period here.) The Output modulation produces shifting variations in it over 32 measures... The sound is generated entirely by this first instance -- there is no input signal.

The second instance provides morphing delay-bases effects. Here use 128 different delay lengths! (most delay FXs have 1 or 2!!). The delays are tunned the same key as musical phase, but down several octaves... they use some variations of a harmonic scale (integers) but Triangle numbers in this case (look it up...) The low harmonics remain in perceuptual delay territory (i.e. they have a longer period and lower frequency than audio signals... ). The higher harmonics get into the audio rate range and produce additional resonance FX in-tune with the music. The middle-ground between these ranges produces something sounding like a spring reverb... 4 duplicates of each delay freq are used which give a diffusion effect as the delays decay. Each delay also has its own independent damping filter with a different freq for each.

Two Mod Images are used. The input mod uses a semi-discrete image which turns the various delays/on off and pans them. It uses an 8 measure period, but the X-size is 768/1024 = 75% of the width, so the period is actually 6 measures, but the time base and its sub-divisions is still in 1/2, 1/4. 1/8 etc of the tempo... The Output mod gives smoothly shifting variations again with a period of 9 measures... I.e. this is a FX preset that gives some morphing and panning combination of delays, resonance, and spring reverb (if you like to think in conventional terms...) You could of course use this preset by itself on normal audio signals too...

The total cycle of the whole construct is: 32 * 9 * = 288 measures long before the whole pattern repeats...

The pictures shows 4 instances just show I can show both input and output mod for both... notice two of them are disabled on the right...

http://www.2caudio.com/sitecontent/prod ... orphFX.png

http://www.2caudio.com/sitecontent/prod ... orphFX.png

Here is a creepscape created from 5 tracks, each the same Kate Bush interview processed differently with KS and B2, and one track dry straight from Spectral. One of the Bush tracks has MMultibandGranular on it as well.
A touch of Satin and Ozone 5 on the master.

https://soundcloud.com/rustman777/giger-1

rustman wrote:Here is a creepscape created from 5 tracks, each the same Kate Bush interview processed differently with KS and B2, and one track dry straight from Spectral. One of the Bush tracks has MMultibandGranular on it as well.

Dude, that's great!! :tu:

Kate Bush spoken interview was turned into this?? :?: :?: woaahhhhh :clap: :clap:

Galbanum wrote:
rustman wrote:Here is a creepscape created from 5 tracks, each the same Kate Bush interview processed differently with KS and B2, and one track dry straight from Spectral. One of the Bush tracks has MMultibandGranular on it as well.

Kate Bush spoken interview was turned into this?? :?: :?: woaahhhhh :clap: :clap:
Thanks Andrew. That's literally the only compliment I can recall ever getting for anything electronic. I think one of those tracks must have had the white noise above 100% at least most of the time, because I don't see how I could have gotten a repeating pad type thing going with an interview driving it. Everything else is unstructured, so I think they were all under 100%.

rustman wrote:
Galbanum wrote:

Thanks Andrew. That's literally the only compliment I can recall ever getting for anything electronic. I think one of those tracks must have had the white noise above 100% at least most of the time, because I don't see how I could have gotten a repeating pad type thing going with an interview driving it. Everything else is unstructured, so I think they were all under 100%.
Here comes your second compliment, just listened to it, liked and reposted it, great little sonic journey!

Sampleconstruct wrote:
rustman wrote:
Galbanum wrote:

Here comes your second compliment, just listened to it, liked and reposted it, great little sonic journey!
Well that makes two from a couple of folks who know a thing or two. Awe shucks. I'd be lying if I didn't say that makes me happy. Thanks.

rustman wrote: Well that makes two from a couple of folks who know a thing or two. Awe shucks. I'd be lying if I didn't say that makes me happy. Thanks.
would be awesome as part of the bladerunner 2 soundtrack... :wink:

you say "creepscape" and reference Giger. but, to me it is more like "awe/mystery" than than fear/horror. I find the tonality of the pad quite meditative in a fairly peaceful sort of way... it's like a warm blanket that lets the mind accept the more strange stuff happening to the vocal sample...

well, actually I would be really cool in a scene where you see the fist alien craft in Alien/prometheus etc. So, ya, Giger... But I think Giger architecture/design more than Giger monsters. This is the like the part of the story before things get ugly and the alien starts eating everyone. :o We know we have found something that is beyond us, but we don't quite yet know what it is. That is what I get from this piece. It's very cinematic.

very nice. :tu:
Last edited by Andrew Souter on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galbanum wrote:
rustman wrote: Well that makes two from a couple of folks who know a thing or two. Awe shucks. I'd be lying if I didn't say that makes me happy. Thanks.
would be awesome as part of the bladerunner 2 soundtrack... :wink:

you say "creepscape" and reference Giger. but, to me it is more like "awe/mystery" than than fear/horror. I find the tonality of the pad quite meditative in a fairly peaceful sort of way... it's like a warm blanket that lets the mind accept the more strange stuff happening to the vocal sample...

very nice. :tu:
My stuff gets named before it gets written. lol. I was initially expecting Giger. To me though, there is something very creepy about voices that you can't quite understand down in the mix. I think it takes me back to a vocoder section of a song by Skinny Puppy that I thought was really scary back in the days of industrial.

ya it's great. i edited my previous post and added additional thoughts. I think I listened to it 5-6 times now. ;-)

Return to “Effects”