2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

Conceptual things:

Some days ago I bought this beautiful singing bowl:

So tonight I mangled this picture with ArtMatic and Photoshop, created about 10 derivatives, then extracted a tuning file from a single bowl strike, then made some presets with these images and the waveform, then processed an impro I played some days ago (which is already processed with some reverbs) with several of those presets which results in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60aBtq7-DjI

Now that I've researched singing bowls, that is pretty fascinating. I learned a thing or two. What happens when you back off of the damping? Does it get harsh?
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

rustman wrote:Now that I've researched singing bowls, that is pretty fascinating. I learned a thing or two. What happens when you back off of the damping? Does it get harsh?
Not more harsh than with other input sources, in fact this particular singing bowl has such a pure tone with only a few harmonics/partials that the resonators react very specific. Of course in double string mode with the wrong (or right) setting, anything can sound shrill or harsh in KS.

Simon, this synth seems so completely right up your alley, a world you'd want to live in, perfect for you :)

I don't have an actual question or point or anything, just seems like a match made in heaven...

Note the Hi Cut knob... at 50% of the knob rotation it has a filter cutoff of 512hz.

Don't be afraid to use it. KS is as bright/shrill as you want it to be. If you feed it white noise and don't EQ/filter anything, of course it will be quite bright.

If you use a forth order Hi Cut filter in both Input and Output routing, you have a 48dB per octave filter! If you use a low cutoff freq, the result will certainly not be bright...

KS can be as bright, or as whatever-the-appropriate-adjective-is-that-is-the-opposite-of-bright-in-this-context as you want it to be... :wink:

the default Hi Cut filter point is 4096. This roughly equal to the fundamental freq on a piano (4186.009045 if using 12-ET and A440 as a ref, or exactly 4096 if you are using C=256, A = 432). Don't be afraid to use it. You might even try lower...

depends completely 100% on the content, the input signal spectrum, and what your goals are... and how the sound will sit in the mix.

but, yes, without some filtering it is easy to get very bright things. Soft and Hi Cut are your friends... :hug:

dwozzle wrote:Simon, this synth seems so completely right up your alley, a world you'd want to live in, perfect for you :)

I don't have an actual question or point or anything, just seems like a match made in heaven...
Thank you - I agree, it took a while to fall in love, but then she took over :party:
...and it's precise you're calling KS a "synth" because that's what it is for me, even when used as an effect to process external audio, it can create so much on top but directly related to the input source, similar to crusherX in the granular department which can also create very complex textural layers on top of things or synthesize sounds on it's own without an external source.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Conceptual things:

very cool! :tu:

Another new tool to explore noise input is the free NoisR from Isotonik (for those with M4L):

http://isotonikstudios.com/audio-outlaw/

jc_vt wrote:Exploring noise input only can get interesting using the free Melda MNoiseGenerator to introduce subtle variations and modulations...

Galbanum wrote:
KS can be as bright, or as whatever-the-appropriate-adjective-is-that-is-the-opposite-of-bright-in-this-context as you want it to be... :wink:
...that adjective could be "boring", or "lame", or "marshmellowish", or "east-german", or "satanish", or just "whatever-the-appropriate-adjective-is-that-is-the-opposite-of-bright-in-this-context" - I like that one the most.

Gorgeous, I would love one of these, I only have some smaller ones and a couple of pairs of Chakra Tingsha cymbals.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Galbanum wrote:
...that adjective could be "boring", or "lame", or "marshmellowish", or "east-german", or "satanish", or just "whatever-the-appropriate-adjective-is-that-is-the-opposite-of-bright-in-this-context" - I like that one the most.

hehehehe :o

aMUSEd wrote:

Gorgeous, I would love one of these, I only have some smaller ones and a couple of pairs of Chakra Tingsha cymbals.
And I got her for an amazing price on eBay, I could well have paid 5 times as much - first I checked out my favorite stores and online dealers to get a price reference for a bowl that size, then I placed my bid dividing the average price by 4, someone almost snitched it from me 6 seconds before the auction ended, but my original bid was high enough, so she was mine all the way :)

Galbanum wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Galbanum wrote:

hehehehe :o
...of course adjectives like "warm", "soothing" and "embracing" also work, KS does all of that and some.

A very basic piano sound playing a very basic chordal impro turns into this wondrous texture...KS, I love you (and my wife knows it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITvkhKPuFl4

Sampleconstruct wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:

And I got her for an amazing price on eBay, I could well have paid 5 times as much - first I checked out my favorite stores and online dealers to get a price reference for a bowl that size, then I placed my bid dividing the average price by 4, someone almost snitched it from me 6 seconds before the auction ended, but my original bid was high enough, so she was mine all the way :)
It is gorgeous, definite 'score'! and the vid/sound is way cool. :tu:

[aside] Back in the mid-to-late 80's, and throughout the 90's, my 'ex' and I were referred to as "the bowl people", by several shop owners, where we acquired upwards of 40 of them, as well as other cool percussive toys.

Had to sell them all, and my studio gear, 'bout 12 years ago [had an accident, w/no medical insurance... shit happens], but am very gladly 'collecting' again, as of late.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Effects”