Best wavetable synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 19 times in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:Here is a list I just compiled of current Wavetable softsynths. I may have missed a few so I'll add them in later:

Native Instruments Massive
Xfer Records Serum
Waldorf Largo
Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V
Mux Modular
u-he Zebra 2/HZ
Waves Codex
Synthmaster One/2
Sonic Academy ANA 2
Tone 2 Icarus
Tone 2 Electra 2
Rob Papen Predator 2
Vengeance Avenger
Parawave Rapid
UVI Falcon
Spectrosonics Omnisphere 2

You forgot

Waldorf Nave
Steinberg Halion
PPG Wavemapper2
PPG Wavegenerator *edit* oops forgot this one too.
:borg:

Dune 2 does wavetables too. Not sure if Electra2 really qualifies, IMO it rather does wave sequencing than wavetable (in the sense of morphing between wavetables with hybrid inbetween).

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egbert101 wrote:Here is a list I just compiled of current Wavetable softsynths. I may have missed a few so I'll add them in later:

Wavetable Synthesizers
Native Instruments Massive
Xfer Records Serum
Waldorf Largo
Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V
Mux Modular
u-he Zebra 2/HZ
Waves Codex
Synthmaster One/2
Sonic Academy ANA 2
Tone2 Icarus
Rob Papen Predator 2
Vengeance Avenger
Parawave Rapid
UVI Falcon
Spectrosonics Omnisphere 2

EDIT:

Dmitry Sches Thorn
Waldorf Nave
Steinberg Halion
PPG Wavemapper 2
PPG Wavegenerator
Synapse Audio Software Dune 2

Pseudo-Wavetable or Hybrid?
Image-Line Harmor
Tone2 Electra 2
Here is a list of wavetable synths i currently own myself:

A) hardware:
- Waldorf Blofeld desktop (+ SL expansion)
- Novation UltraNova

B) software:
- Waldorf Nave
- Waldorf Largo
- Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V
- Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V (in Waldorf Edition 2)
- PPG Wavegenerator
- PPG Wavemapper 2
- Tone2 Icarus
- Tone2 Electra 2.5 (offers wavetables in the osc section too)
- Xfer Serum
- Synapse Audio DUNE 2.5
- VPS Avenger
- UVI Falcon
- KV331 Audio Synthmaster 2.8
- KV331 Audio Synthmaster One
- NI Massive
- Waves Codex

I also preordered the upgrade to Live 10 Suite (from Live 9 Suite) which will include a new wavetable synth too.

Recently the most used ones here seem to be PPG Wave 3V, Largo, Icarus, Serum and Avenger. Wavetables created in Icarus or Serum could be also imported in Avenger with the "Resampl" feature.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

<delete>

egbert101 wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Recently the most used ones here seem to be PPG Wave 3V, Largo, Icarus, Serum and Avenger. Wavetables created in Icarus or Serum could be also imported in Avenger with the "Resampl" feature.
Yeah but which is the best wavetable synth? Has your opinion changed since you posted several years ago?
Could you define what is "best"? My most used one seems to be PPG Wave 3.V even if feature wise most others are superior.
Both PPG 3.V and Largo do not offer importing custom wavetables but still they are just great "as is" and you could do tons of patches with them.

If you want a wavetable synth with a powerful wavetable editor Icarus and Serum are the "best" while overall in terms of sound and features i would prefer Icarus from those.

Avenger and Falcon offer tons of features but do not offer a built-in wavetable editor. I mostly need Icarus and/or Serum for that task.

Overall there is no "ultimate" wavetable synth for me. All of those i mentioned got their own combination of basic sound and features and none of them could replace all the others.
Besides that none of them got all the features that it could be close to replace all others. And if you have one with a huge amount of features it just has a different basic sound than the one you try to replace...

Also the selection and quality of included wavetables is important. Persoanally i really like the Waldorf synths in that respect.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

<delete>

I am looking forward to the wavetable synth included in teh upcoming Ableton Live 10. I had prefordered the upgrade to Live 10 Suite.

I have not used the Live 10 beta yet as i avoid using betas of DAWs/hosts while i had done a lot of beta testing for plugins...

Here are 2 videos about the wavetable synth in Live 10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1DptkbkSnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctu7kAke01A

As Live is my main host since v6 (and the Suite version since v8) it is great to finally have a wavetable synth included there.
Ingo Weidner

<delete>

we should add: Tranzistow by Hrast programmer,
it"s an incredible, deep and powerfull synth, with some exclusive options
and perhaps, reaktor,
we could add Mpowersynth too, if we include Thorn and zebra,
additive synth and wt are often link together....
Last edited by kokotte on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ableton's Wavetable sounds great. I can't help but wish it had a few more features, but it's like Operator in that respect, enough to make your own sounds and you can extend it with clip envelopes and max for live.

egbert101 wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Could you define what is "best"?
Obviously not, but thanks for an informative post.
As for me 90% of a synth is its sound, i'd define best as "best sounding". But, it's true that it pretty much depends on your preferences, what you consider as "best".

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

another one:
Surge by Vember audio.
My top are:
serum,icarus,dune2,zebra,avenger,rapid and tranzistow,
the best interpolation and analyse between an imported wave files, for me : rapid follow by icarus and dune2.
but we can't judge a synth by only one focus feature.
about tranzistow, visit the site, if you make a preset bank, the dev could send you a free licence, tranzistow is near the solaris

Return to “Instruments”