Camel Audio ceasing sales? [Update: CA acquired by Apple]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Mushy Mushy wrote:
scintillator wrote:What do YOU know mushy?
Absolutely nothing. Hence my lack of posts on the matter.
:D
Hang on - if we're only supposed to talk about things we know about....nah, never happen :lol:

scintillator wrote:
Hunter wrote:
scintillator wrote:
Hunter wrote:
goldenanalog wrote:What's a little confusing to me, although maybe it shouldn't be - is that if CA's disappearance is truly that big of a deal that warrants 4,000 posts on KVR, then why doesn't someone here who has Ben's personal contact info simply give him a call or whatever, and ask him point blank what he can or cannot say about CA?

He may refer you to an attorney - but at least that's something -
That's getting pretty stalkery. I'm good friends with him and I've already said a few times, he is alive and not rolling around like a puppy in a mythical 8 figure mountain of cash. It's also well known on here they are a nice bunch of guys who've always gone out their way to support their customers, so in answer to your question, it would appear fairly obvious nothing can be said by him about camel audio at the moment...
Oh, so if he's not dead or filthy rich, he must be having some problems with the law. Nothing but those 3 could explain the silence.
I admire your imagination, but he isn't having any problems with the law :lol:

I imagine this thread is giving him facepalm problems though
FFS. So what? I can't speculate, just like everyone else? What do YOU know mushy?

It could be a divorce... Or he's been caught with a bag of drugs... Or he's been caught cooking the books of Camel Audio... Or he has been preparing a terrorist bombing campaign...
Wow. scintillator...you must have a lot of police knowledge to come up with that bit of infamy.

Mind cooling your jets a little? :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Apparently Ben at CA wanted to pursue a new career in novelty furniture upholstery.
He sold CA because he needed the money to buy second hand furniture and fabrics.
Last edited by spaceman on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

double post
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Hunter wrote:I imagine this thread is giving him facepalm problems though
Ceasing sales with the customer base they have (had?) and maintaining this silence......he could have anticipated that :bang:

Hunter wrote:I imagine this thread is giving him facepalm problems though
Aha!
(runs off to Google "Man admitted to Edinburgh hospital with bizarre forehead injury")
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

Hunter wrote:
goldenanalog wrote:What's a little confusing to me, although maybe it shouldn't be - is that if CA's disappearance is truly that big of a deal that warrants 4,000 posts on KVR, then why doesn't someone here who has Ben's personal contact info simply give him a call or whatever, and ask him point blank what he can or cannot say about CA?

He may refer you to an attorney - but at least that's something -
That's getting pretty stalkery.
He's running a software business (and it aint cheap software), which by its very nature has a strong emphasis on support. Customers have been bluntly & suddenly told that support is ending soon with no reason given as to why and no indication that this would be happening. Some customers would have literally just bought the software, so it's no minor thing.

Sorry but it is nowhere near "stalkery" to simply contact the owner of a business via his personal line if he's been ignoring the business line when these requests for info are made. In any other business it would not be unreasonable for a customer to contact the owner in this way if after sales service was suddenly removed with no reason given.

ymmv.

I really hope Ben isn't reading this thread because it's enough to make anyone give up - on everything.

But if he or the others are - thanks for the great software, thanks for the support on even the unsupported products , hope all is well with you and I guess we just need to wait. At some point something is likely to come out - my personal belief is that the Camel crew aren't communicating because they don't care - but because they can't.

We'll just have to be patient. I know that seems an odd thing in these days of "download it now" culture but there it is.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

If the manufacturer who made your car suddenly closed up shop and said sorry, we will no longer fix your vehicle under warranty after X months, would we just simply sit back and take it? Would we not be up in arms?

Why is it that just because CA is a VST maker, we're just supposed to take this sudden "Screw you all" (especially if you just bought the synth the DAY before the announcement, which I am sure there has to be at least a FEW people) like it's perfectly acceptable and have no right to be angry about it?

We wouldn't accept this from our phone, cable, auto, Internet, or any other company in the "real" world. But because it's software we're just supposed to say "Oh, okay CA. Have a nice life. Wish you well."

It's total BS. Anybody defending them, I'd love to see how you react when you go to bring your 3 month old car to Honda for service (still under a 5 year powertrain warranty) and are told, "Sorry, we're out of business."

I doubt you would be this gracious and forgiving.

wagtunes wrote:If the manufacturer who made your car suddenly closed up shop and said sorry, we will no longer fix your vehicle under warranty after X months, would we just simply sit back and take it? Would we not be up in arms?

Why is it that just because CA is a VST maker, we're just supposed to take this sudden "Screw you all" (especially if you just bought the synth the DAY before the announcement, which I am sure there has to be at least a FEW people) like it's perfectly acceptable and have no right to be angry about it?

We wouldn't accept this from our phone, cable, auto, Internet, or any other company in the "real" world. But because it's software we're just supposed to say "Oh, okay CA. Have a nice life. Wish you well."

It's total BS. Anybody defending them, I'd love to see how you react when you go to bring your 3 month old car to Honda for service (still under a 5 year powertrain warranty) and are told, "Sorry, we're out of business."

I doubt you would be this gracious and forgiving.

Did we get a warranty with our software licenses? I remember no such guarantee.

edit: Further, I'd say the Adobe agreement is likely similar for most:
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT: ADOBE HAS NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED OBLIGATION
TO CONTINUE TO MAKE THE SOFTWARE OR ANY FEATURE THEREOF AVAILABLE NOR
INTRODUCE ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES COMPATIBLE WITH THE SOFTWARE.
Last edited by VitaminD on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daags wrote: In any other business it would not be unreasonable for a customer to contact the owner in this way if after sales service was suddenly removed with no reason given.

People on this thread have been receiving replies from support I think? I can't be bothered looking through to find the posts.

Anyway enough stirring, I'll just point out my last sentence in my previous post and leave it there.

'mon the conspiracy theories

In this context, being "absolutely screwed" means:

- No more free updates to a product that was already at the end of it's free update cycle and getting no more free updates (major new version was coming out imminently)

- No major new version coming out for sale (so you can't choose to buy a product/upgrade that doesn't exist)

- Nobody to spend their time answering dumb questions and walk you through how to fix the mess you made when you randomly deleted a bunch of files and now nothing works

- No way after another 6 months of being able to download the same files you've downloaded and saved in multiple different places already

Yeah, boy we all are royally screwed, here. "Screwed" is absolutely the correct term to use, and is in no way at all an over-dramatisation of the actual scenario. Maybe some form of legal action to cover our damages and emotional distress..?

I mean, after all, I bought my Alchemy license, and we all know there is an implicit understanding that the developer is now your bitch for life. How *dare* they leave us?

beely wrote:
I mean, after all, I bought my Alchemy license, and we all know there is an implicit understanding that the developer is now your bitch for life. How *dare* they leave us?
:hihi:

Hunter wrote:
beely wrote:
:hihi:
I think a reasonable attitude lies about half way between 'Saint Ben' and 'bitch for life'.

And here is why the whole "Sales stop immediately" is just plain wrong all the way around.

One day before CA makes their announcement, John Doe has just finished demoing the product. He really likes what he hears. Read that there are tons of sound banks available for the product. Something he's really interested in. So he buys Alchemy and says to himself, "Tomorrow, I'm going to pick up a bunch of these libraries."

Tomorrow comes and CA has shut down their doors. No more sales. John Doe just sunk $249 into a product that is now worthless to him because he can't buy all the accessories he wanted for it.

In what universe is that fair or right?

Really, the more I think about what has gone down here, the more pissed off I'm getting and if I could speak to Ben to his face, I'd tell him just what I think of him and the crappy thing he did.

It was just plain wrong. Period.

Return to “Instruments”