Synth of the year - 2014 (your thought)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

Anyone wants to share your own thought "synth of the year" ?

If it was released within 2014 then I'll say Blue II. But I think someone will say "Dune 2" or U-he's Bazllie.

Regards!
Cowby

Dune 2 :hihi:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

PPG Wavemapper 2

Other nominations are:
Electra 2, DUNE 2, Waves Codex, XILS 4, Arturia Matrix-12V
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Hive.

Just getting in there first :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

For me definitely Serum. Still has work to do to cut down cpu usage and it needs a new reverb badly. But, it has quickly become with Diva as the two best sounding software synths i have ever heard and easily my favourite Gui. Some don't like its full bandwidth sound with an open sparkly top end. But different strokes for different folks.
Rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Serum

bazille for the unique sound :D

Xils 4. Modular analog with endless possibilities and incredible programming depth. Very organic and analog character sound as well ( for those who like that )

Codex sounds nice to my ears also. ( Serum : Digitalness doesnt come only from the bandwidth. Filters for example have something to do with that as well. Note that digitalness isn't bad per se. Its just something that belongs, or less, to the character of a synth)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:Xils 4. Modular analog with endless possibilities and incredible programming depth. Very organic and analog character sound as well ( for those who like that )

Codex sounds nice to my ears also. ( Serum : Digitalness doesnt come only from the bandwidth. Filters for example have something to do with that as well. Note that digitalness isn't bad per se. Its just something that belongs, or less, to the character of a synth)
Far be it for me to argue with the Lotuzia :-), and I am sure you have done your own programming of it too, but when I listening to Hollo banks and some of the presets in Skippy's banks, it really doesn't sound that digital to me at all.
I think others have said, that many of the filters are digital sounding, but the german and french lp dont' really possess that quality much. ymmv

rsp
sound sculptist

virtualcz, as something missing and as a great emu.

I really like Bazille. Great sound and interesting possibilities. But the one that blew me away was Serum. The UI is super user friendly and it is easy to tweak to come up with something I like. I'm not much of a synth user so I really appreciate all that has gone into making it so user friendly. Couple that with a sound I really like and it is definitely the best of the year for me.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

For me it's a tie between Bazille and Serum, both are of excellent quality and both offer something unique. And most importantly, a joy to program.

Monark!

Dune2 it seems. Can cover 90% of my needs - substractive, FM and wavetable. Then just activate unison to make any desired sound as big as you wish. Simple and clear to program, just bigger brother of Sylenth1.

Serum gives impressive sound quality and potentially fantastic possibilities, but I didn't have a chance to dive in yet and will afford it only next year.

I also tried Blue2 and learned a lot from it, but it's too big and complex to manage. Some sound designers may enjoy it, but I got lost.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

lococontrol wrote:Monark!
Wasn't that released in the first half of 2013?

Return to “Instruments”