All good things come to those who wait.. the Synth Squad 2 thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Amber (DCAM: Synth Squad) Cypher (DCAM: Synth Squad) Strobe (DCAM: Synth Squad)

dave dove wrote:a proper/modern wavetable synth with DCam tone would be a killer

dave
with Cypherite FM, of course! Gosh, I love that thing
Brzzzzzzt.

I'm intrigued by the new ultra square aesthetic appearing in GUIs at the moment. Windows 10 being the biggest example. Where has that style arisen from? Is it because more high resolution screens can show very sharp lines, without looking cheap and underworked?
I'd say it's a few things.

Partly, just what you've described above.

Heavy doses of chromed bitmaps scale poorly. UIs are expected to be, to a greater or lesser degree, responsive and resolution-independent. Clean and straightforward wins the day here.

Also it's a confidence/perception thing to some degree.. software is what it is, and it'll work better if it's allowed to be - instead of trying to ape hardware 1:1. I hope we're past the era of software-with-an-inferiority-complex - "Does it sound as good as hardware XYZ?". There is middle ground though - UI metaphors can help people bring established knowledge across from a different domain, we've aimed to build Strobe2 with an undeniably and unapologetically software UI, but anyone familiar with hardware synths (or emulations of them) should be able to find their way around it.
a proper/modern wavetable synth with DCam tone would be a killer

with Cypherite FM, of course! Gosh, I love that thing
Examples please of synths (hard or soft) that combine FM and Wavetable and do it well & musical sounding (either PM/FM of wavetables - or a wavetable source sending PM/FM to another oscillator).. need some inspiration here.
strobe-19-dark.png
strobe-19-light.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Angus_FX wrote:I hope we're past the era of software-with-an-inferiority-complex - "Does it sound as good as hardware XYZ?".
I hear you haven't been to Gearslutz a lot lately :hihi:

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

The GSers compare hardware with hardware, software with software, and software with hardware. It's all good!

What I'm talking about is the de-facto assumption that software can't or won't sound as good. Prior to the last couple of generations of softsynths & circuit modeled virtual outboard, that was pretty much a given - software had to fight hard just to acheive parity, in terms of public perception. Nowadays, not so much.

That's not to say that software is always better or equal to hardware in every scenario.. just that it's not starting at an automatic disadvantage.

AngusFX wrote
Examples please of synths (hard or soft) that combine FM and Wavetable and do it well & musical sounding (either PM/FM of wavetables - or a wavetable source sending PM/FM to another oscillator).. need some inspiration here.
Serum?

Dave

dave dove wrote:AngusFX wrote
Serum?

Dave
Def serum fo sho
~Pyrotek45

Angus_FX wrote: Examples please of synths (hard or soft) that combine FM and Wavetable and do it well & musical sounding (either PM/FM of wavetables - or a wavetable source sending PM/FM to another oscillator).. need some inspiration here.
Dune2

Dune2 has oscs that are switchable between WT and FM - was definitely thinking more like Serum, where you can FM an WT oscillator - or use a WT osc as an FM source.

Have to admit I've not been able to get anything very musical out of that approach yet though. FM tends IMHO to work best with harmonically simple source and destination waveforms; WT waveforms tend towards complexity. If you had wavetables specifically designed for it, though, great.

Angus_FX wrote: Have to admit I've not been able to get anything very musical out of that approach yet though. FM tends IMHO to work best with harmonically simple source and destination waveforms; WT waveforms tend towards complexity. If you had wavetables specifically designed for it, though, great.
Since you're obviously looking at new synthesis methods - might it be safe to assume that SS2 is a blink around the corner? :)

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Angus_FX wrote:Dune2 has oscs that are switchable between WT and FM - was definitely thinking more like Serum, where you can FM an WT oscillator - or use a WT osc as an FM source.
you can do it too, by modulating osc1 to osc2 with audio rate modulation

Since you're obviously looking at new synthesis methods - might it be safe to assume that SS2 is a blink around the corner? :)

/C
Strobe 2 yes. Amber/Cypher a little further off.

Angus_FX wrote:
not sure how i feel about those GUIs.. time will tell.. anyway.. inspiration...

for oscillators.. you can do a lot worse than the cylonix cyclebox.. easy to be dirty but can be very musical and has many different modes that change the internal routing in complex ways.. worth a gander at the manual.. there are quite a few complex oscillators in the modular world.. buchla 259 is pretty amazing.. w/the harmonic section it's pretty amazing at focusing on the musical/harmonic aspects of a complex oscillator. soon to be (more or less) available in eurorack as the sputnik dual oscillator. vactrols are your friend. :)

http://www.intellijel.com/eurorack-modu ... clebox-ii/

I got a little video of Strobe2 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qBFRJmGS8k
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

AngusFX wrote
Waldorf Blofeld

Aiynzahev wrote:I got a little video of Strobe2 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qBFRJmGS8k

Return to “Instruments”