What would you want in a Bass VI sample library?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The twangy version, with mutes, interests me the most. For spaghetti western style stuff!
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Hi all,

I'm recording the bass for this one and will be switching over to roundwounds tonight to start a twang set. Guess I could do some harmonics too.

DSmolken's doing all the trimming, mapping, etc as I'm pretty new to this but I have been learning some Kontakt scripting so that could happen down the road.

thanks for doing it

Awesome! Can't wait!

Kontakt version would be good. Harmonics would be a bonus :tu:

I have one of these squires. I think it would be great as a kontakt instrument that had the little switches to turn on and off pickups and stuff. These things can get really twangy if needed. Lots of fun and variation in sound is available.

Bass VI is a great instrument. Yay! for whatever becomes of this.

Truely, most of the interest in it is in the oversize pianoguitar/twangy articulated sounds. Not so much in it as a bass guitar alternative. Seems so simple, but, thinking about it, i can see why nobody has tried much to crack this nut of an instrument.

Practically an ethnic instrument. like a sitar.

"Oh, that's good but not right" They all know it's something, but never played it and don't know what's not right! thank you, good wishes and good luck!

Ha, to be fair, I've never played one either.

This is going to be finished soon. SpaceCoyote recorded four different articulations. Spaghetti for spaghetti Western twang, various types of flat pasta for more bassy sounds.

fetuccine - neck pickup, fingered, flatwound strings
linguine - bridge pickup, picked, flatwound strings
tagliatelle - pickup combo, picked, muted, flatwound strings
spaghetti - not sure what pickup, picked, roundwound strings

766 samples and over 700 MB, it's quite a step up from our previous libraries. Now I just have to check the tuning and make adjustments as needed, add controls, and do a fancy "combo plate" mapping.

Nice! Looking forward to this!
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Awesome. I was actually coming here to bump this post and ask how the project was going. Glad to hear it's almost finished and I will try it out.

Yeah, I get samples recorded, then spend months sitting on them until I want to use them in a track. Here's a quick demo, some Chopin piano MIDI split into three to make use of the spaghetti, fetuccine and tagliatelle mappings.

https://soundcloud.com/karoryfersamples/minute-pasta

Still need to make the combo platter and add controls - release time, vibrato depth/speed/delay/fade, and maybe a high pass filter to emulate the original's bass strangle switch. I'll see if that sounds good. Plus voices, volumes and widths for the combo platter.

Any other controls anyone would want? Maybe a whole AHDSR volume envelope?

Almost done now... what I did was give the four regular mappings controls for release, vibrato, high-pass filter to simulate playing closer to the bridge for extra twang, and a slider to control envelope hold, decay and sustain all at once to simulate muting. Then the combo platter got controls for voices and width (up to 3 fetuccine and 3 spaghetti), AHDSR envelope, high-pass filter with resonance, and low-pass filter with resonance and envelope depth, attack and decay. The combo platter can be used as a natural chorus or if you mess with the controls more like some weird dirty vintage synth.

Just have to test that combo platter to make sure all the controls really do what I think they do, add a few more opcodes so that it doesn't use polyphony voices when their volume is set to 0, and write a readme. And hopefully a more guitar-style demo.

We'll put it up on our site officially in a couple of days, along with some electronic samples, for the first anniversary of Karoryfer Samples. But I've already put it up on Audiobombs, you can grab it from there: http://audiobombs.com/items/1090/pastabass

Thanks, I really enjoy your approach/aesthetic! Makes me think I should get off me arse and sample my own double bass, baritone, and bass guitars.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”