Cubase 8 is out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

Just installed the upgrade, transferred some custom VST folders I'd setup to the new Cubase 8 folder.

Had a quick play around, can confirm whole application feels a bit more snappy but importantly I can confirm back 2 back, 7.5 vs 8 the same VST heavy project i'm working on 8 gave approximately a 30% reduction on the performance load / VST performance meter. Whilst still retaining that snappiness even during playback.

Impressed with that feat alone as new apps with more features very normally = worse performance on same machines.

That alone makes me want to upgrade.. I was planning on buying the upgrade, then registering it around this time next year to pickup 8.5 at no extra cost. But I might just upgrade now. :dog:

This new chord pad is very nice... I cannot remember that another DAW has similar features and it's so easy to find some interesting chord progressions. In combination with the new Pop Toolbox by Allan Morgan for Groove Agent it makes fun to play with it. It needs only 5 minutes to have some basic stuff running:

Frank Arnold - Toolbox

It looks like that:

There are some bugs with the new MDI Aero window management on Windows where the menu bar stays on top of the desktop without a window :D Or some plug-ins having problems if "always on top" is enabled (eg. Valhalla where the preset browser or stuff is not working with AOT enabled).
Performance is nice and there are 3 additional options for Asio Guard 2 in the device settings which can be used.
Great update.. love it!

I bought the upgrade from Cubase 7 to 7.5 in October and didn't activated until this week, so 49$ for the upgrade from 7 to 8!

I installed it, but so far, it keeps crashing when I try to play with some VST. I'm on Windows 7 64-bits.

On average I am liking the upgrade but I really do not like the new window system, it leaves a lot of empty space and only certain things can dock and as soon as you select the project window anything in front goes hidden behind. Also a number of plugins load file dialogs appear behind them. I am liking the chord track and chord pad stuff and the render in place and the VCA faders

I like the efficiency reports. I look forward to upgrading this weekend.

Quick question: I have the full Groove Agent 4, but it can be a bit cumbersome at times. Is the GA4 content (kits/grooves) easily accessible in the GASE and new GA Acoustic interfaces?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

My Cubase Pro 8 is running flawlessly. Of course I keep my DAW very clean, internet free, and NEVER tweak Windows settings. And that might be why Cubase has never crashed on me. I doubt the coders disable tons of services, etc., without letting us know which ones (which they have, and when they have, I have tweaked).

As I did deeper I will likely find some issues...

Like just now, but it is an issue with my Nectar Panorama. Track 1 on my P6 edits my Audio Input in Cubase instead of the first track. Sending a note to Nectar...

Jon

<<I wonder if the quadrafuzz is based on the old project that Craig Anderton designed back in the late 70's? I used to read his articles in the guitar mags.>>

Yes, it is an update of Steinberg's original Quadrafuzz plug-in, which was a virtualization based on my hardware design from the mid-80s. I want to make it very clear that Steinberg did not "rip off" the concept, even though I placed it in the public domain and they had no obligation to seek my permission or credit me in any way. They asked for my approval not only to use the name, but to confirm that the plug-in's sound quality and functionality was true to my intentions.
My educational website has launched! Read articles, see videos, read reviews, and more at https://craiganderton.org. Check out my music at http://YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit my digital storefront at https://craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Anderton wrote:<<I wonder if the quadrafuzz is based on the old project that Craig Anderton designed back in the late 70's? I used to read his articles in the guitar mags.>>

Yes, it is an update of Steinberg's original Quadrafuzz plug-in, which was a virtualization based on my hardware design from the mid-80s. I want to make it very clear that Steinberg did not "rip off" the concept, even though I placed it in the public domain and they had no obligation to seek my permission or credit me in any way. They asked for my approval not only to use the name, but to confirm that the plug-in's sound quality and functionality was true to my intentions.
Nice... the original Quadrafuzz was designed to emulate a pre-amp? I find this additional types very useful (tube, tape, deci,...) and the features like the delay very, very nice on bass sounds.

Anderton wrote:<<I wonder if the quadrafuzz is based on the old project that Craig Anderton designed back in the late 70's? I used to read his articles in the guitar mags.>>

Yes, it is an update of Steinberg's original Quadrafuzz plug-in, which was a virtualization based on my hardware design from the mid-80s.
Sorry Craig. I made us both look older than necessary. :hihi:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

I'm running 8 now and I've run into the hidden windows issue.

First time it was in Emulator X - when you do things on Emulator X it opens dialogue windows - these are hiden and so apparently it just freezes. Move some windows around and you will find them.

I've also found a varient of the problem with the Valhalla stuff - when you try and click on the browse for presets they merely flash up. If you click on the top frame of the plug in and uncheck "always on top" it will then be ok. For a while. This seems to be part of a bigger issue Steinberg are aware of.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote:I'm running 8 now and I've run into the hidden windows issue.

First time it was in Emulator X - when you do things on Emulator X it opens dialogue windows - these are hiden and so apparently it just freezes. Move some windows around and you will find them.

I've also found a varient of the problem with the Valhalla stuff - when you try and click on the browse for presets they merely flash up. If you click on the top frame of the plug in and uncheck "always on top" it will then be ok. For a while. This seems to be part of a bigger issue Steinberg are aware of.
Yes, "always on top" is not working correctly for some plug-ins on Windows. This option must be disabled. The bad thing is that the global option in the settings is not used (at least with my testing).

Steinberg says It will be fixed soon.
rsp
sound sculptist

Sorry, but I can't let this pass unnoticed. I didn't realize that Mr. Anderton (Sir Anderton?) was a KVRer.

To the uninitiated, please take note that you are in the presence of music/music tech royalty.

And may I personally thank you for all the music, columns, manuals and books over the years, without which, I'd still be trying to find the power switch.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

+1

I was a little excited myself. :party:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”