Cubase 8 is out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

rustman wrote:I wonder if the quadrafuzz is based on the old project that Craig Anderton designed back in the late 70's? I used to read his articles in the guitar mags.
In the Steinberg video, they say it was indeed based on Craig Anderton's original QuadraFuzz, and that the man himself has checked it out, and approved.

All respect to the old one, but QF2 really sets a new bar. Amazing plug-in.

I just downloaded, installed and registered Cubase 8, but when running it I get an error message about that DWM is not installed and that I should install an aero theme!
Googled a bit, and found out that if I turn on the Win 7 standard theme it starts. Before I had the classical boring blue background - Windows Classic.
I then after starting switched back to the Classic view but all of a sudden Cubase crashed during startup.
I´m now starting with the Win 7 standard theme and managed to start cubase. However, when switching to my Classic theme, Cubase is crashing immidiately.
So I´m forced to use the fancy and colorful aero theme which I really don´t like until a fix has been found.
I´m using Home Premium btw.
Another problem: I loaded a project where one of the track has a delay of 17 negative ms in the track settings. The instruments timing is now very unstable.. sometimes it does as it should, other times it´s delayed half a sec!
The other tracks - which have no special settings for the timing - sound how they should.
Weird: Changing latency from 512 to 128 seems to have solved that problem - still not a nice solution if you run a cpu hungry project.

Best Regards

Roman Empire
Last edited by Roman Empire on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote from another thread:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
chk071 wrote:
MachineClaw wrote:having to enable AERO under Win 7 is kind of a bummer.

I have it switched off currently.
Is there a particular reason for that? It actually makes a lot of things possible, like transparency, animations, window preview and so on. So basically, by turning it off, you detruncate your Windows of some handy and nice features.
it's more than that .. it also enables proper GPU hardware acceleration. Having it disabled greatly reduces the performance of Win7.

chk071 wrote: it's more than that .. it also enables proper GPU hardware acceleration. Having it disabled greatly reduces the performance of Win7.
[/quote]

I did not know that. I've been using classic all along, and have had to turn off hardware accelleration in things like Firefox because it was causing issues. I think I'll turn Aero back on now. I've got two cards running in crossfire, so I'm not going to be straining for resources.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

rustman wrote:I've been using classic all along, and have had to turn off hardware accelleration in things like Firefox because it was causing issues.
If your problems are related to the flash plugin just right click on a flash video and disable hardware acceleration for flash on the menu that will pop up.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

So I guess no Yosemite support for those wishing to stay with 7.5

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... emite.html

romanred wrote:So I guess no Yosemite support for those wishing to stay with 7.5

I suspect they'll update it for 10.10 eventually.

Oh! MR816 is compatible with Yosemite...to upgrade or not to upgrade...

I just viewed a bunch of the Steinberg vids, and I must say- I am sold, sold, sold. I expect the first release bugs, but the new stuff, now that I have a grasp on what it is, is fabulous. Lots more cool stuff than I had imagined from just looking at the list of new features. The options for render in place are gonna be sweet. The VCA channel will save time dealing with repetitive automation tasks. The chord assistant improvements should help me with my weak music theory. Getting ready to get my machine online and buy it now.

Didn't Cubase 7 come out last year ? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

fedexnman wrote:Didn't Cubase 7 come out last year ? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
2 years ago
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:
fedexnman wrote:Didn't Cubase 7 come out last year ? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
2 years ago
Indeed. 7.5 was last year though, as a little point release costing a hamburger or two.

I think this release has been a fairly concerted effort to muscle in on Pro Tools' territory. For music work (as opposed to post) there's really very little difference feature-wise in audio between PT 11HD and Cubase Pro 8. Cubase has vastly superior midi tools as well. Vanilla PT is so crippled it's not worth serious consideration.

The biggest difference is of course price. You can't buy PT11 without hardware now, so you're looking at circa $5k to start with the most basic interface, then it's $600 pa to stay current with updates (and this you must maintain - miss a day, and your license is locked at that version forever). By contrast, C8 costs $550 and my upgrade cost from C7.5 to C8 is 82 euros.

I'm amazed some folks are complaining about price. The feature set in Cubase 8 Pro is breathtaking, indeed a fully professional product.

So I'm now fairly confidently predicting Pro Tools inevitable demise. It's already started at the low end and now the rot setting in at the mid tier. It won't be long before more and more studios have Cubase (and Logic) installed alongside PT, and their clients will increasingly use them - because that's what they're running on their own laptops and home studios. Audio Post will be the last refuge for PT, I give that another decade before Nuendo and who knows what else begins to make really serious inroads. But I strongly suspect it will come eventually.

Cubase now has a terrific range too, from Cubasis, through Elements up to Pro, with everything transferrable upwards. It's a thought through ecosystem relevant to how music is made now (yes, I'm aware Ableton has dance music covered better, and watching their progress will be very interesting and Studio One et al will also be worth watching). I'd have a hundred feature requests and wishes for Steinberg if anyone from the company asked (and more fool them), but right now I'm cheering them on. Avid have gotten slow, arrogant and lazy, and Steinberg might well become the rightful heirs to their crown at the top of the Pro tree.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I made certain to download the full installer so that 8 can exist concurrently with 7 and 7.5 on my machine. The install went without a single hitch. It's too late to explore fully tonight, but projects are loading and working just fine. Gonna sort my plugins folders tomorrow. Happy so far (knocking on wood).

noiseboyuk wrote: Avid have gotten slow, arrogant and lazy, and Steinberg might well become the rightful heirs to their crown at the top of the Pro tree.
Then there is the whole Sibelius thing with Avid milking it for cash and starving development. The main authors decamped to Steinberg and are working on a new scoring app which will presumably be integrated with Cubendo at some level.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

romanred wrote:So I guess no Yosemite support for those wishing to stay with 7.5

They will release a 7.5.40 update with Yosemite support, probably on February.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Got the free grace period upgrade after activating my 7.5 license yesterday. Damn, that 9.2 GB is gonna take a while, and fingers crossed that the connection is not lost. I wish Steinberg would allow resuming of downloads. Or is it already possible?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”