Why doesn't Sound on Sound mag. have an FL Studio section?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Woah! :)

I'd just like to point out that I did agree with sjm here ...
Image-Line wrote:that FL Studio
sjm wrote:ranges from absolutely fine to a massive PITA, depending on what you are doing
If you are recording a vocal or a vocal and a guitar over your project, no problem. If you start recording 8 things (impatient band members) and over multiple takes and then partial takes, it's going to get messy. That said, my experience with other DAW software is that they can get messy under the same circumstances too, but not in the same way as FL Studio.

IMO it all comes back to the fact you can't set an affinity for audio to record onto a particular Playlist track and the comping functions that you have at your disposal once it is. Although many people don't realise you can do basic things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA4zPaSwN7Q

Or use the mute tool etc

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Hink wrote:It's lovely all these people make so much money using FL, I am not in it for money...I play because it's my passion and that is the case with many, many more people?
So are you saying that our Power Users (who are just a tiny fraction of the quality musicians and composers using FL Studio) are not as passionate as *you* about their 'art' ?

Check Aleksander Vinter (Savant) ... he is off the hook passionate about what he does. Definitely not in it for the money. He releases 100's of free tracks and will show anyone exactly how he makes his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyXMhf0NbOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PItUDGA9x38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFM4qahWo6E

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

They don't cover Pyramix either, but if you've heard it on the radio, it's most likely been through a Pyramix mastering stage.

Hink wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:
bluedad wrote: I didn't say FL Studio is no good, merely implying that for audio it's nowhere near intuitive.
I envy folks that work in it; it looks cool, has imaginative tools..it's just not intuitive for me.
edit - Maybe SOS should have a section just for that reason alone, us guys who just don't get it, but would like to.
I couldn't understand it at first, then I watched this video, and it's been easy from then on (I never record audio, so your mileage may vary...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQDvnfleST0

I just find it a bit odd that they haven't reviewed FL10 or FL11, and don't even have a section on it - there are plenty of very successful artists who use FL Studio (who are listed on the Image Line site). It's no skin off my nose, I don't buy magazines.
please forgive me but I think you're missing a point here, some of us older folk have been recording in different ways forever and the thought of needing a video to explain how to record audio appears to be more complicated than it needs to be. Than you see another host where it's so straight forward you already know what to do which in turn is more comfortable. I cant speak for bluedad but myself I find when things suit my workflow and are comfortable it means less think and at least for me sometimes less think means more creativity.

Again, not saying anything against FL...it's just better at other stuff :)
Would like to hear more about this host where you're born knowing its workflow.

Image-Line wrote:
If you are recording a vocal or a vocal and a guitar over your project, no problem. If you start recording 8 things (impatient band members) and over multiple takes and then partial takes, it's going to get messy.
is a drumkit an impatient band member?

you really don't get our point, do you?
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Chopper wrote:
Image-Line wrote:
If you are recording a vocal or a vocal and a guitar over your project, no problem. If you start recording 8 things (impatient band members) and over multiple takes and then partial takes, it's going to get messy.
is a drumkit an impatient band member?
Of course. Where do I suggest it isn't?

Regards Scott

my point is that recording 8 things is very common and necessary... not down to ''impatient band members''....

look, it seems to me that you are not getting our point (which is simple: FLstudio caters for one side of the music spectrum, and caters for it well. other softwares are better for some of the other sides. nothing unusual there).

force feeding us videos of EDM artists is actually making that point even stronger.

Now, speculating about the RECORDING industry, passing very distorted opinions about what it involves to carry a recording session and so on is in itself highly dubbious and doesn't work in your favour if you want to channel the image of a reputable company.

you are not defending your software here (it doesn't need to, as we are not putting it down, we are just stating some obvious facts that you renforce by posting EDM artists interviews), what you are doing is in itself very unprofessional in my view.

Chopper wrote:my point is that recording 8 things is very common and necessary... not down to ''impatient band members''....
What is the point of your keeping raising the situation where multi track recording tool shines at? As I suggested in the last post leave it to PT or other second class recording tools. I don't like encouraging momentum that forces every daws evolve into same form.
Last edited by tooneba on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

The original question has been answered well and truly by now, why keep going on about it?
tooneba wrote:
Chopper wrote:my point is that recording 8 things is very common and necessary... not down to ''impatient band members''....
What is the point of your keeping raising the situation where multi track recording tool shines at? As I suggested in the last post leave it to PT or other second class (not quality, market share) daw. I don't like encouraging momentum that forces every daws evolve into same form.
Because it's a type of workflow that requires a specific set of tools. The "traditional" hosts i.e. Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Sonar all excel at this kind of workflow. I frequently record 16 channels of audio simultaneously in Logic while performing with hardware sequencers and synths, and then add additional sounds and processing using software.

FL Studio does not work well in this situation. It has other talents and I'm certainly not slagging it off, some of my friends who do not record multi-track audio produce great electronic music with FL Studio and love it.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

spot on...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Because it's a type of workflow that requires a specific set of tools. The "traditional" hosts i.e. Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Sonar all excel at this kind of workflow. I frequently record 16 channels of audio simultaneously in Logic while performing with hardware sequencers and synths, and then add additional sounds and processing using software.
We know there is a market where needs a tool for recording and sequencing like PT that is not expensive as Avid gears & softwares packages.

It's up to strategy the company has chosen whether spending developing resource into following the footsteps of PT's or evolving in other way. Why do not all companies try to follow the footsteps of PT? Because that's not effective way to do business. Beside being impossible to beat Avid, it makes hard to attract consumers.

By the way, people in the KVR has consensus that we use best tools for each purpose, right? And I asked "Why keeping FR for the purpose other tools shines at?" and you answered like "Because I need All-Purpose tool." If this interpretation was right you seem to have different opinion at least than me.

tooneba wrote:
What is the point of your keeping raising the situation where multi track recording tool shines at?
well, in the context of this thread that would be because that 'situation' is the main focus of Sound On Sound magazine in the first place..
I don't like encouraging momentum that forces every daws evolve into same form.
And yet this thread is a complaint that FL should be (forced) onto the pages of a magazine where the focus is on a 'form' that FL doesnt have.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

tony tony chopper wrote:
Kriminal wrote: So everyone who has any outboard hardware should stop recording it because then can do it all with fruity loops? :dog:
I think that's what everyone who's not a hardware fetishist is already doing, using plugins to do the same thing, if not much better.
That must be why they dont make hardware synths anymore and all the companies have gone bust :roll:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”