Which compressor do you actually use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sonalksis SV 315 MK2 and VC 2A (Softube/NI LA2A).

V-GER wrote:I do more and more experimental stuff with less and less percussive elements, and I don't use any aucustic instruments so I find myself hardly feeling much need for compressors the more I focus on what I'm actually interested in doing.
But when I do use some it's usually Fabfilter Pro-C or Pro-MB. They're about as userfriendly as they get while still fairly flexible. Some options that are always related to automatic calculations made by the plugin sometimes makes me uncertain how to achieve the results I'm after with Pro-MB though.
Sometimes but very seldomly Audio Damage Rough Rider for massive punch with percussion and a compressor that can be practically part of the sound design. The free Rough Rider Pro for some bizarre reason seems to work better for this sort of stuff than the paid Rough Rider Pro, go figure. Might be as banal as more apt initial settings for certain types of material or something, though I'm reluctant to admit that and have tried to come up with other explanaitions.
The free rough rider really surprised me first time I used it on my snare. It was exactly the sound I'd been looking for! Excellent freebie for character compression.

arkmabat wrote:The free rough rider really surprised me first time I used it on my snare. It was exactly the sound I'd been looking for! Excellent freebie for character compression.
It's the only compressor I use for obvious, sound design stuff, excellent.

My less-than-golden ears can't really hear a lot of the subtleties others rave about so my compressor usage is limited to ReaComp (transparent to my ears) and the CM freebie from EAReckon (Analog87?). Seems to just work and do what I need with minimal hassle.

Too many but for all jobs js compshaper... free... ;-)
Last edited by Turello on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlugIn wise there are quite a few

Vlad's Molot, Herbert's ThrillseekerLA, ThrillseekerVBL & Density, Fabien's TDR Feedback Compressor II. They cover a lot of ground and that's without spending a penny, Which is brilliant stuff. Also some which see use would be Waves C Series, Renaissance Comp & Axx, API 2500, SSL G Master Bus Comp & E & G Channels, V-Comp, JJP PuigChild 660 & 670, Kramer PIE, CLA Classic Compressors, H-Comp, URS CCS Pro 2 (many options inside it), Focusrite LiquidMix (again many options to choose from), Andy's Cytomic Audio The Glue, Klanghelm DC8C2 (Great range of options), Sonnox Oxford R3 Dynamics (If I'm not able to get any results with this on material then it is beyond the point of trying to save and will get tracked again), Sonalksis SV-315 Mk2 & TBK3, AbbeyRoadPlugIns RS124, Softube Tube-Tech CL 1B, Softube Valley People DynaMite, Digidesign SMACK!, IK Multimedia Precision Compressor/Limiter, PSP VintageWarmer 2 (plus the smaller versions are very handy), OldTimer ME & MixPressor 2, Voxengo PolySquasher (It is one I'm always surprised doesn't get mentioned, Its one of the greatest ITB compressors IMveryHumbleHO).

That is no particular order and really depends on many factors. I've probably forgotten to mention some (Stillwell, De La Mancha instantly spring to mind) but well it gives an idea

All the best

Dean :)

Performing better.

When re-recording isn't an option, TDR Feedback II or ThrillseekerLA, sometimes Molot when I really need control. Honorable mention to Blockfish and the Tbt compressors (whose license I still don't understand).
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Regulars:
Compassion
The Glue
Neodynium (one of a kind "upward" mojo..)
SuperCharger GT
FL Limiter (just for sidechains)

Sometimes:
FF MB (on master)
Sonalksis SV315 (was my go to for yeeeeears)
Soundgoodizer
Maximus

If you are looking for a go-to all-purpose I think Compassion is it. :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage

Mostly Rea(X)Comp and The Rocket (I looove that thing!)

I also have The Glue, which I'm thinking about to sell actually (but is it allowed to resell it??) and TDR Feedback Compressor II for on the master sometimes, but use it less often than those above.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

FabFilter Pro-C for clean, TRackS Black 76, White 2A and Bus Comp, The Glue, Bombardier, Rocket and Major Tom. Bus Comp, The Glue and Bombardier on the 2 bus primarily or Mastering. Others on busss/inividual tracks depending on the sound I'm going for.

Softube Tube-Tech CL 1B
Softube Summit Audio TLA 100A
Slate Digital VBC

Jafo wrote:Performing better.

When re-recording isn't an option, TDR Feedback II or ThrillseekerLA, sometimes Molot when I really need control. Honorable mention to Blockfish and the Tbt compressors (whose license I still don't understand).
Pretty sure what the TBT license is getting at is that you can't sell/rent the plugin since it's free. His last word was this:

"If you CREATE something with the sound that come out of the tool
then you can do what ever the f**k you want with it. If you use the tool itself for the
purpose of making money then that is not ok. If you don´t get that moral difference then f**k off! ;-)"

The guy certainly has some issues though...

Pro-C for clean
Supercharger GT for coloured
Pro-MB for multiband
Done :)

oh and occasionally have NI's Solid Buscomp thrown in for good measure.

Softube comps, Kush UBK1, Slate VBC, Vertigo VSC-2, The Glue, VoS, PSP Old Timer, Fab Filter comps...

DC8C.2 & LIVE Glue cover everything I need

...oh, and also using Ozone5 for the mastering

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Softube Tube-Tech CL 1B, Softube FET,
Softube Summit Audio TLA-100A, Softube Valley People Dyna-mite
Kush UBK-1,
Slate VBC (mu and red mostly),
Eventide Omnipressor,
Soundtoys DevilLoc (limiter, but still),
soundhack +compand (old habit)
The compressor in Eventide Ultra Channel

Will we have a thread for EQs as well? :)

Return to “Effects”