I guess it's synth month because U-HE is finishing the new Hive synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Echoes in the Attic wrote:What's the other synth?

Simon and Garfunkel....sheesh, I've said too much :scared:

chk071 wrote:
It could well be that it is the infamous "that plugin". :P

Well, recursive one's last post should make it more clear.
Oh I assumed it wasn't the Sy..1 synth because I thought it was much more cpu efficient than 27% on a patch. Didn't think it got that high.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
chk071 wrote:

Oh I assumed it wasn't the Sy..1 synth because I thought it was much more cpu efficient than 27% on a patch. Didn't think it got that high.
This confuses me too. Maybe an old/slow machine is used to test the peformance?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Kriminal wrote:Similar, but thats unison. 2 diff things.
Not really. What else is a supersaw than x voices of sawtooths detuned (and perhaps volume adjusted and stereo-spread) according to a certain law?

Looks my RGB mechanical keyboard will have to wait damit.

The JP 8000 is the best supersaw though so does Hive one do it better or just different smell.

EvilDragon wrote:
Not really. What else is a supersaw than x voices of sawtooths detuned (and perhaps volume adjusted and stereo-spread) according to a certain law?
I find supersaw vs unison interesting, and I also love the resulting timbres, so I'll add my 2 cents. Ultimately, they are two techniques for achieving similar sounds. In fact, I'm pretty sure supersaw was invented entirely as a low-CPU (actually low-DSP) and polyphony-friendly approach to achieving the unison sound. So you could argue that, philosophically & musically, they are the same thing. However, if you accept that technically correct is the best kind of correct, they're different. :clown:

Supersaw is implemented at the oscillator level. Its an alternative waveform to saw, square, triangle etc.
Unison is implemented at the synth level, by running multiple instances of the synth engine with detuned / panned / etc parameters. Typically, unison means running the filter N times, which can create quite a CPU hit.

Take as an example the classic Zebralette. You can, of course, achieve a decent supersaw-style timbre by choosing a pure saw waveform, setting some detune, and cranking the VCA up to 11 (7 or 9 might be closer to JP8000 as alluded to in the u-he forum's thread about hive). Alternatively, you can draw Adam Szabo's derived JP8000 waveform directly into the wave editor and get a pretty convincing supersaw timbre with the VCA still at 1. So 1 instance of the synth engine. AND you can also turn THAT up to 11 for maximum stupendousness. Wait, why do I use other synths again? :?

One advantage of true unison is that you can have super-anything: supersaw, supersquare, superraveorgan, etc. You could of course derive "super" waves for any of those and offer them up at the oscillator level, as synths like DUNE etc do, IIRC. And then apply unison on top of that. And then derive a wav from THAT and pump it into e.g. Serum and have all the saws... :borg:

HTH

chk071 wrote:

Could be Spire. EDM-synth, supposed Sylenth killer.

27% seems way to much for Sylenth, you're right...

psmacmur wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
I find supersaw vs unison interesting, and I also love the resulting timbres, so I'll add my 2 cents. Ultimately, they are two techniques for achieving similar sounds. In fact, I'm pretty sure supersaw was invented entirely as a low-CPU (actually low-DSP) and polyphony-friendly approach to achieving the unison sound. So you could argue that, philosophically & musically, they are the same thing. However, if you accept that technically correct is the best kind of correct, they're different. :clown:

Supersaw is implemented at the oscillator level. Its an alternative waveform to saw, square, triangle etc.
Unison is implemented at the synth level, by running multiple instances of the synth engine with detuned / panned / etc parameters. Typically, unison means running the filter N times, which can create quite a CPU hit.

Take as an example the classic Zebralette. You can, of course, achieve a decent supersaw-style timbre by choosing a pure saw waveform, setting some detune, and cranking the VCA up to 11 (7 or 9 might be closer to JP8000 as alluded to in the u-he forum's thread about hive). Alternatively, you can draw Adam Szabo's derived JP8000 waveform directly into the wave editor and get a pretty convincing supersaw timbre with the VCA still at 1. So 1 instance of the synth engine. AND you can also turn THAT up to 11 for maximum stupendousness. Wait, why do I use other synths again? :?

One advantage of true unison is that you can have super-anything: supersaw, supersquare, superraveorgan, etc. You could of course derive "super" waves for any of those and offer them up at the oscillator level, as synths like DUNE etc do, IIRC. And then apply unison on top of that. And then derive a wav from THAT and pump it into e.g. Serum and have all the saws... :borg:

HTH
this...

fwsuperhero wrote:If i remember right, "classic" supersaw is so powerfull because it doesnt have any aliasing.
Actually, doesn't the JP8000 supersaw sound the way it does due to audible aliasing?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I love it when u-he release synths :D :party: Bring it on!

Hey Urs, any chance this thing will allow full control of each of the oscillators in a supersaw stack, i.e tuning in octaves, semitones and cents, volume and phase control? That would be very interesting! :wink:

zerocrossing wrote:Do we have any clues as to the nature of this new synth?

Hm. VA? Unlikely. Why create something that competes with what's already thought of as the gold standard of VAs?

Wavetable? Zebra covers that and hopefully will even get better in v3.

FM, see Zebra.

ROMpler? Possibly, but for some reason I don't see it.

Additive/resynthesis? Hm, I bet if U-He took what they learned emulating hardware in Diva but used a novel additive/resynthesis engine... we'd have something quite magical.

Urs? Can you throw us a bone?
There's been plenty of talk about it for a while at the u-he forum. It's a supersaw focused synth. Straight forward architecture, a couple oscillators with sub orcs, 2 filters. You can even see an old gui in one of the threads there.
Oh, sorry. Haven't been following, but if that's the case, consider me uninterested. I got supersaws, ultrasaws out the yazoo. I don't even get out of bed for anything less than a megasaw.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I thought it was much more cpu efficient than 27% on a patch.
Highly depends on the polyphony and unison settings. 16 voices x 32 saws is "512 voices" in Sylenth speak.

oops...he said it.

Return to “Instruments”