I guess it's synth month because U-HE is finishing the new Hive synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: if a synth doesn't wake up my CPU cooler, then I find it very unlikely that I will like how it sounds.
I feel like this plugin (or Sylenth too) will prove that you don't need to slaugher the CPU to provide a pleasant sound. :) My point of view always has been that you don't have to mimic every single details in real world stuff virtually to get a good result. Synths or plugins which create hundreds of voices without using your CPU as a frying pan show that it is possible, and that it isn't always necessary to be 100% authentic. Especially for a musical result, it probably isn't necessary to catch every detail.

http://www.u-he.com/downloads/Hive/HiveBell.mp3

Bell sounds are often the least "digital" sounding synth sound, yet that Hive mp3 still made it sound a bit digital. I hope this new trebly/digital/Serum approach to sound creation isn't the "next new thing" that Hive is trying to copy. :evil:

-_- Don't be ridiculous.

That bell sounds great.

martingifford wrote:that Hive mp3
mp3 means that you are not listening to lossless format, so an mp3 will sound "more digital" than the finished product anyhow ;)

It sounds okay as a one-off. Many Serum patches also sound okay as one-offs. But if they all have that trebly/digital/harsh quality, then it's quickly irritating to some ears. In other words, if that is the timbre of the whole instrument, then it's bad.

martingifford wrote:It sounds okay as a one-off. Many Serum patches also sound okay as one-offs. But if they all have that trebly/digital/harsh quality, then it's quickly irritating to some ears. In other words, if that is the timbre of the whole instrument, then it's bad.
Can't judge a book on the cover

Can't judge a synth on the basis of an early mp3 preview

:evil: :evil: :evil:

It sounds a bit digital that's true and harsh, but not that bad in the end. Could work in some context. But I will judge the quality when I get to play with the demo
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

I quite like the sound of the bell... It might sound digital but in a very pleasing way.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I've listened about 7 times in the last 2 hours. That last listen really made my skin crawl. It's like nails on a blackboard. It hurts right to the level of my brain cells. I guess the cheezy muzac arpeggios don't help.

I just played it again, and I instinctively held one hand up between my head and my computer screen as I pressed the link. When I heard it, I ducked and cringed. I'm scared of Hive! Buzzing Digital Bees!

Pity there's no smilie for running in terror.
Last edited by martingifford on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hahaha, you're a funny man, thanks for the laughs (and I don't mean this in a bad way ;) I was literally laughing out loud by reading your description)-

Just listened to the clip again and quite strange this crackling distortion at the end of the clip, is it because of too hot levels or mp3 compression? You can hear it very clearly.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

martingifford wrote:http://www.u-he.com/downloads/Hive/HiveBell.mp3

Bell sounds are often the least "digital" sounding synth sound, yet that Hive mp3 still made it sound a bit digital. I hope this new trebly/digital/Serum approach to sound creation isn't the "next new thing" that Hive is trying to copy. :evil:
Sounds quite Zebra-ish actually. With characteristic Zebra's "plasticky" high frequences.

But I don't think this clip actually tells aything about the sound character of the whole synth - at least if it has decent filter drive it should be able to sound somehow warmer.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

FWIW, i thought the filters sounded pretty harsh in the demo video posted too. But then, you can't really tell much of it, as it's probably heavily processed too. As written by other people elsewhere already, i think the biggest challenge will be to get it sound right, and not to disapoint people who see it as an alternative to Sylenth1. I know a lot of people are convinced of the sound of u-he plugins. But the target audience has been a completely different one so far.

It seems that this bell clip is not relevant to the Hive synth
Urs wrote:
The bells were done with a very rudimentary test environment that I coded in two days. I think it needs another month of fine tuning, so we rather drop that idea for now, and bring it back later, maybe elsewhere.

I'll post proper example mp3s in a few days.

- Urs
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

chk071 wrote:...the biggest challenge will be to get it sound right, and not to disapoint people who see it as an alternative to Sylenth1. I know a lot of people are convinced of the sound of u-he plugins. But the target audience has been a completely different one so far.
Precisely.

penguinfromdeep wrote: Could work in some context.

:roll: :)

Return to “Instruments”