Wolfgang Palm WaveMapper 2 is out for PC and MAC

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PPG WaveMapper 2 For Mac And PC

thetechnobear wrote:what options are there for mac users for creating waveforms?
(Ive got audio term running via crossover, but not figured it out yet)
… wavegenerator is ok, but its a bit fiddly with mouse, given no zoom feature, and not many tools to smooth curves, etc.

also are there any good sources for waveforms?
I never owned a Mac so i could just guess. There are multiple sources for waveforms including some synths that include waveform editors and could export WAV files like e.g. Diversion or Tone2 Nemesis.

Anyway you would still need a way to create a wavetable if you do not use e.g. Wavegenerator or Audio Term that bot hcould create compatible wavetables.
One is to use an audio editor like Wavelab (or the much cheaper Wavelab Elements version) to combine multiple waveforms in one WAV file that could be imported as a wavetable into Wavemapper 2 via the Analyzer/resynthesis.
For this as already mentioned the waveforms should not be to big, a good size seems to be 512 or 256 samples.

If you also got Serum you could try to create and export waveforms there or try to convert a Serum wavetable to a format that could be imported into Wavemapper 2 (e.g. 16-bit WAV file, waveforms at 512 samples).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

PietW. wrote: 7 days should be more than enough to test this software.
There was some other synth (not PPG or Palm's) in the past where I installed the (time-limited) demo, played with it a bit, didn't immediately like it.

Then several months later -- while I was working on a different style of music -- my interest was renewed and I wanted to demo it again, but I couldn't because the demo period expired.

I suppose I could write to that company's support and ask for some kind of time extension on the demo, but the path of least resistance is simply to say "I guess they aren't really interested in my business" and move on.

thanks for your reply Ingo. I think as there is currently only 50 euro difference between the bundle and one of the synths I'll probably get the bundle and go from there.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

The Wavemapper 2 Demo version for PC and Mac is out now:

http://wolfgangpalm.com/new-products/pp ... or-mac-pc/

Demo restrictions seem to be the same as for Wavegenerator.

I also added a thread in the Wolfgang Palm KVR forum:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=424069

UPDATE:
The links for the demo seem to be removed, instead you have Instead you have to fill out a form with e-mail, name and other informations. After sending those you will receive a demo link by email.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I also created a new thread where people could post their free custom wavetables. I just added one with 256 waveforms there (231 of my own waveforms + 25 by interpolation done in Audio Term):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9#p5925719

The wavetable was created based on 231 single cycle WAV files which usually is impossible with only uisngWavegenerator + Wavemapper 2. I tried to explain this shortly in the new thread at the link above.

I am also still working on free patches for Wavemapper 2 (should be published at the website of Mr. Palm when finished).

ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:The Wavemapper 2 Demo version for PC and Mac is out now:

http://wolfgangpalm.com/new-products/pp ... or-mac-pc/

Demo restrictions seem to be the same as for Wavegenerator.
The links for the demo seem to be removed, instead you have Instead you have to fill out a form with e-mail, name and other informations. After sending those you will receive a demo link by email.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Another hint concerning the wavetable paths:

In other synths you got a "WT Position" knob to select interpolated waveforms even if the wavetable only includes few waveforms. Sometimes such "mixed/interpolated waveforms ae more interesting than using the original waveforms form the wavetable. I am talking about uisng single waveforms without a wavetable sweep.

This is also possible in Wavemapper 2 if you set the Wavetable envelope mode to "Const". If you set a path between waveforms the EnvL" knob will now work like a "WT position" knob in other synths and you could use an interpolated waveform instead of the "original" waveforms from the wavetable.

Here is a screenshot that shows this (the green dot represents the constant "WT position" adjusted by the "EnvL" knob):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... on%201.png

The way how "smooth" this morphing is is adjusted by the "Blend" knob (like with wavetable sweeps) where the Blend knob at 0 represents the smoothest blending/morphing.

If you like you could also set the path between two waveforms only.
The scale of the "EnvL" knob is related to the length of the path, not to the length of the wavetable.

If you do not use a path (only a single dot) there wil be a "normal" switching of the waveforms without morphing.

PS:
I also posted this in my new wavetables thread at the Wolfgang Palm KVR forum:
Ingo Weidner

I tried the demo last night, and it's quite fun to play with.

The sounds are extremely digital, but in a warm kind of way. Felt a bit like having my old Gravis Ultrasound back (which is a compliment btw). I demoed the WaveGenerator at the same time, and they sound kind of similar, but WaveMapper is more fun to play with.

Be warned though, some problems:

- The presets are clipping like crazy

- Dragging the icons, or hitting the randomize button can sometimes create
*extremely* loud sounds. I was listening with headphones and my right ear hurt
for quite a while after, so be sure to add a limiter to your master output.

- The big envelope in the center of the OSC section glitched out and produced
such a loud sound that CoreAudio shut down automatically to not let it spread to the
outputs. I had to reset the sound driver to get sound back again.

When does the special bundle offer expires?
Fernando (FMR)

asksol wrote: - The big envelope in the center of the OSC section glitched out and produced
such a loud sound that CoreAudio shut down automatically to not let it spread to the
outputs. I had to reset the sound driver to get sound back again.
I am sorry but i don't understand this. At the center of the OSC page the wavetable display ("Wave Map") with the playback path is found. Could you please explain this further with some more details?

Not directly related to PPG Wavemapper 2 but I am also responsible collecting and checking bug reports for the current Waldorf plugin updates (posted by the testers or other sources like KVR) and multiple times i had to ask for a more proper bug report to be able to replicate the problem.
asksol wrote: - The presets are clipping like crazy
Which Host software and plugin format are you using? I tested in Live 9, Reaper and Studio One (at Windows) and for most patches i don't see a problem (also dpeneding on how many notes are played).

Could you name a few patches that cause the biggest problems so i could check those?

For me the patch "Canyon Bass" could clip dpending on how many notes are played. IMO this was designed as a monophonic patch while the mode used is polyphonic legato,
fmr wrote:When does the special bundle offer expires?
Based on the website at the 25th of November 2014.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
fmr wrote:When does the special bundle offer expires?
Based on the website at the 25th of November 2014.
Thanks Ingo. Have to mark the date on my agenda :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Ingonator wrote: I am sorry but i don't understand this. At the center of the OSC page the wavetable display ("Wave Map") with the playback path is found. Could you please explain this further with some more details?
Right, it's not an envelope but there are 2 points you can drag, it seems to be called the Wave Map.

All I did was dragging the points while playing some chords and this happened.
It's not super uncommon for me to see such bugs in plugins. Most recently it was Nerve by Xfer that could occasionally crash CoreAudio when browsing quickly through samples. Steve recently fixed this bug in a Nerve beta on the forum.

I would guess that some unwanted artifact is being produced on playback, and this particular sample has such a high amplitude that CoreAudio will shut down to protect the system. There's a click sound when this happens (often loud), which could be another unwanted artifact sample played just before the illegal one, but that isn't so loud it will exceed the protection threshold.

After this loud click no audio will be output: not from Logic, and not from any
other applications on the system. The audio interface will keep power, and you can actually hear the direct audio signal from monitoring input, but again no sound from the computer, that is until you switch to the 'Builtin interface' and back, effectively resetting the CoreAudio driver.

I imagine something similar would happen if you sent something like a Word file, or random data directly to the sound driver.

My system is Logic 10.0.7, OSX 10.10.0. Also using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface but I don't think that matters because it's not using any drivers, only the generic CoreAudio API.
Ingonator wrote:
asksol wrote: - The presets are clipping like crazy
Which Host software and plugin format are you using? I tested in Live 9, Reaper and Studio One (at Windows) and for most patches i don't see a problem (also dpeneding on how many notes are played).

Could you name a few patches that cause the biggest problems so i could check those?
I use Logic X with prefader metering.

Guardians, will go to +2.4db if you hold a note in the higher ranges, around G5, but not always so maybe depending on modulation.
Magical experience, same but even more if you play notes in sequence.
Step Motor Dance, high velocity
For me the patch "Canyon Bass" could clip dpending on how many notes are played. IMO this was designed as a monophonic patch while the mode used is polyphonic legato,
Rusty Gear and flunder, lots when playing chords, not exactly great chord sounds, but I was just browsing around
Last edited by asksol on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ingonator wrote:Another hint concerning the wavetable paths:

In other synths you got a "WT Position" knob to select interpolated waveforms even if the wavetable only includes few waveforms. Sometimes such "mixed/interpolated waveforms ae more interesting than using the original waveforms form the wavetable. I am talking about uisng single waveforms without a wavetable sweep.

This is also possible in Wavemapper 2 if you set the Wavetable envelope mode to "Const". If you set a path between waveforms the EnvL" knob will now work like a "WT position" knob in other synths and you could use an interpolated waveform instead of the "original" waveforms from the wavetable.

The way how "smooth" this morphing is is adjusted by the "Blend" knob (like with wavetable sweeps) where the Blend knob at 0 represents the smoothest blending/morphing.

If you like you could also set the path between two waveforms only.
The scale of the "EnvL" knob is related to the length of the path, not to the length of the wavetable.

If you do not use a path (only a single dot) there wil be a "normal" switching of the waveforms without morphing.

PS:
I also posted this in my new wavetables thread at the Wolfgang Palm KVR forum:

Thanks for the tip with the WT button. Since I wanted to ask Wolfgang if he does it with the next update. :tu:
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Ingonator wrote:I also created a new thread where people could post their free custom wavetables. I just added one with 256 waveforms there (231 of my own waveforms + 25 by interpolation done in Audio Term):

The wavetable was created based on 231 single cycle WAV files which usually is impossible with only uisngWavegenerator + Wavemapper 2. I tried to explain this shortly in the new thread at the link above.
Another hint concerning the wavetable i posted and also for other wavetables:

Those who got Wavegenerator could use the copy/paste feature in the Spectrum editor to copy single waveforms of one wavetable to another one.

This is done by loading a wavetable (e.g. mine at the link), slecting the desired waveform in the Wave grid display, using the "Copy" feature at the Spectrum Editor drop-down menu ("=" symbol at the upper right), load a new wavetable, select the desired location in the wavegrid and choose "Paste" from the drop-down menu at the Spectrum editor.

This way it is posible to create your own wavetable based on waveforms multiple other wavetables.

You could also use the copy/paste feature to first copy the same waveform to multiple locatioms and then add small or bigger changes with the editor.

You could also use the S-PATH feature (instead of SAVE) that saves a new wavetable that includes only the waveforms marked with a dot in a path. This is an easy way to save a certain part of a bigger wavetable as a new one.

In different words this is also explained in the Wavegenerator FAQ:
http://wolfgangpalm.com/WaveGenVst/qfaq/faq.htm#wave

ingo
Ingo Weidner

yeah const WT envelop + CY (or CX) is a great way to get expressive timbre changes. if you use VpC you can then then if do this 'per note'
... pretty much my favourite way of using WM and WG.
(can even work nice 'globally', e.g. use a breath controller to push the WT position around :))

Return to “Instruments”