orchestral setup with kontakt

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

clockwiser wrote:
jancivil wrote:this is typical:
Not typical at all. You picked the least-featured instrument from low brass there...

Low Brass Tuba:
I showed what I had loaded at that moment.
Sorry, you're not repping 'loads of' to my view. I think these typify Spitfire and I'm not talking out my ass here. That they are shorting us on articulation of tuba and cimbasso is actually revealing, how they underprioritize such things in their choices. It's true that a mute in a cimbasso is not often called for, but...

Here's one of the matrices of my preset for the VSL Piccolo (one duplicate - no, two, flutter and stac but I've slotted a second articulation layering for 'oomph' in these.

OP wants 'kontakt' so if that's off topic, it would show where I'm coming from with my statement. The Spitfire offers really underwhelming control for my money.

as to the VE Pro Epic Orchestra sort of demo, the strings sound fantastic. There is only staccato, sus and fast sus, sfz, tremolando and pizz; and it's 'Strings', ie., you can't really sort eg. celli from violas where they overlap but for that sound [this is a lite 'Appassionata Strings' patch] it's absolutely gorgeous.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HcDoom wrote:Hm, funny that no one mentioned Berlin Strings and Woodwinds... ;)
Good library I think, better articulated than some. Also, the room they go for [Teldex] is one of the rooms VSL uses in both MIR and Hybrid Reverb if someone chooses to go for the gusto. Orchestral Tools is very expensive in terms of HDD space and known to be a bear on your resources.

jancivil wrote:well, whether one loves the Spitfire ways or not, one thing they do not provide is a lot of articulation, it's just barely more than what you get with the VSL Orchestra demos in Kontakt factory.
I think Mural and Sable (the large and small string section libs) come with quite a few articulations, and –unlike the Kontakt patches– with RR, multiple dynamic levels, etc. You do have to buy all 3 or 4 volumes to get them all, though. But even then it still isn't as expensive as all of the VSL products (hehe).

jancivil wrote:
clockwiser wrote:
jancivil wrote:this is typical:
Not typical at all. You picked the least-featured instrument from low brass there...

Low Brass Tuba:
I showed what I had loaded at that moment.
Sorry, you're not repping 'loads of' to my view. I think these typify Spitfire and I'm not talking out my ass here. That they are shorting us on articulation of tuba and cimbasso is actually revealing, how they underprioritize such things in their choices. It's true that a mute in a cimbasso is not often called for, but...

Here's one of the matrices of my preset for the VSL Piccolo (one duplicate - no, two, flutter and stac but I've slotted a second articulation layering for 'oomph' in these.

OP wants 'kontakt' so if that's off topic, it would show where I'm coming from with my statement. The Spitfire offers really underwhelming control for my money.

as to the VE Pro Epic Orchestra sort of demo, the strings sound fantastic. There is only staccato, sus and fast sus, sfz, tremolando and pizz; and it's 'Strings', ie., you can't really sort eg. celli from violas where they overlap but for that sound [this is a lite 'Appassionata Strings' patch] it's absolutely gorgeous.
If I may say, you are not providing a balanced argument, first you pick a spitfire instrument with the fewest articulations to demonstrate your point, you then go on to detail the full vsl software which isn't available in Kontakt. Indeed, anyone who has the kontakt vsl instruments that are part of the standard library knows they are seriously limited.

Its fine to have a preference comparing one company with another, but skewing statistics to achieve it is not playing the game imo.

I recommend Kirk Hunter libraries.

Return to “Instruments”