One Synth Challenge #68: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks. Reminds me to Amiga modtracker songs. :tu:

Hi all,

This time I want to dedicate the song to the creator of this amazing synth: Ichiro Toda :clap: :tu: :clap:
He did a great job. The synth is so capable to create a variety of sounds and uses so less CPU. A real pleasure to work with.

And I used for the first time Reaper as my DAW. It may displace Cubase for a while. Let's see.

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/photo ... iros-theme

24 instances of Synth in Reaper

Filter: ReaEQ, BootEQmkII, MQ57
Dynamics: TDRFeedBackCompressor, GClip, FluxBitterSweet-II, ReaComp
Delays: IxoxDelay
Reverb: EpicVerb, FreeverbToo
Analyzer: Span, TT Dynamic Range Meter
Stereo: GStereo

Dynamik Range according TT Dynamic Range Meter: DR=12
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote:... and uses so less CPU ... I used for the first time Reaper as my DAW. It may displace Cubase for a while.
Quick note: I used Cubase SX3 as my only DAW for a long time. When I switched to Reaper, all the plugins used 1/2 the CPU. I could literally get twice the plugin count doing exactly the same stuff. So, yes, Synth 1 is nice and CPU efficient; also some of what you see may just be that Reaper is better than Cubase. :)

Lots of good entries again this month. Took a quick listen today to see what I'll be up against. ;) Great stuff from some talented musicians and a great synth.

Looking forward to hearing everything and posting my results once I've tested my mix on my friend's 8-track.

ImNotDedYet wrote: ...once I've tested my mix on my friend's 8-track.
Hehe! Note to self ... re-record the track onto my crossfield autoreverse AKAI 2 track for that lovely real tape saturation :hihi:
I agree, some stonking tracks already ... what's to come? Yikes!
dB

doctorbob wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote: ...once I've tested my mix on my friend's 8-track.
Hehe! Note to self ... re-record the track onto my crossfield autoreverse AKAI 2 track for that lovely real tape saturation :hihi:
I agree, some stonking tracks already ... what's to come? Yikes!
dB
I'm not interested in the sound so much from the 8-track as I am ensuring it translates to all possible scenarios. ;)

Hi people... this is my first entry to the One Synth Challenge... :party: Amazing synth!!

https://soundcloud.com/mostlyjustj/thank-you-ichiro

Here is the description of how it all went down:

The entire tune is made up of 35 instances of the Ichiro Toda's Synth1 (12 of which are muted... too lazy to clean them up - for a total of 22 live tracks) inside of a Reaper project. I love this synth!! I downloaded a BOATLOAD of nicely organized freely available soundbanks from here: http://veryrandomstreams.blogspot.ca/20 ... -free.html (special thanks to the author of the LiKwid DaTaBaSsEs bank - killer!!) and from there explored and tweaked to arrive at this entry. The bigger synth sounds make good use of Reapers' routing capabilities - combining several instances of Synth 1 playing the same MIDI pattern all funneling into a bus. The only effects not "In the Synth" that were used, was Reaper's EQ in order to gradually bring in the opening, and Reapers' Delay on a single saw-ish synth that comes in at the end because I was in a hurry and was finding that using Synth1's internal delay was fussy when dealing with longer feedback delays. There is also alot of automated Volume per track. That's about it! Hope y'all like it! :)

Whee, an OSC compo using my favourite toy :D (not quite true, that would be the D-50, so let's say software toy...). My track still has loose ends everywhere, but hopefully I will manage to finish something by friday. Using 100% self-made patches.

sagamusix wrote:Whee, an OSC compo using my favourite toy :D (not quite true, that would be the D-50, so let's say software toy...). My track still has loose ends everywhere, but hopefully I will manage to finish something by friday. Using 100% self-made patches.
Awesome! :) :phones: :phones: :phones:

My entry is HalloW
DAW Reaper 64bit ver 4.732
instances of synth1 14

external effects 0

https://soundcloud.com/key88/key88-hallow

More fun!

I have a track nearly ready, but I wanted to clarify something in the rules regarding external effects. I have my DAW's stock reverb plug-in, iZotope's Vinyl (freeware), and EZMix as my effects. Does EZMix need to be removed since it's not freeware, and are the other two effects ok to use?

DAW reverb:
o.k.

iZotope's Vinyl (freeware):
should be o.k. (distortion fx allowed).

EZMix:
If it's not free it isn't allowed.

hwangman wrote:DAW's stock reverb plug-in
This one is perfectly fine!
hwangman wrote:iZotope's Vinyl (freeware)
If it generates sound, it is not allowed. I believe this may actually generate the sound crackles rather than just adding 'distortion'. What does it do on an empty audio track?
hwangman wrote:EZMix ... not freeware
Correct, this is not allowed. I'd love to use my FabFilter Pro-MB!!!! :) Looks like it's a multi-effect. If you are using certain modules from it, perhaps we could suggest free alternatives. For example, Limiter 6 is very good mastering limiter. Easy-Q is a very good freeware EQ.

Thanks, everyone.

iZotope Vinyl does nothing on an empty track, as it just processes whatever signal is incoming. It does add some crackling and saturation, so I guess I should remove it?

I was using EZMix for some filtered sounds, so I'll mess with Ableton's stock filters/EQs instead.

hwangman wrote:... I'll mess with Ableton's stock filters/EQs instead.
Yeah, Ableton's EQ is pretty much the best EQ of any DAW, in my opinion; certainly allowed.

Also, some good submissions, you all. Awesome, exciting month so far; can't wait to hear the last minute stuff people submit! :)

Return to “Instruments”