---

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xNiMiNx wrote:
UltraJv wrote:Its not meant for joe public. They don't even know about it. Its a tech preview. Meant for devs. Its not a public release. Are you a dev? - no. They are open about what its meant to be. Would you rather that its operation and data discolsure was cloaked in mystery and that someone had discovered it by accident? If you worry about these things, you've got too much time on your hands, seriously. NOW, if the final version meant for joe public has all the data collection, THEN you will have a point. It wont. When you go to install an app on Android, it tells you what data it will collect. You can choose not to install it. Im glad that some systems are open about what they process. You need to take the third world order conspiracy somewhere else :-)
Im sorry but i think youre totally wrong. Read the info posted on their site:

"Things to keep in mind

Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.
"

If Devs need to be told to back stuff up for a tech preview (why is important info / files being used for tech previewing?), then we are screwed as consumers, or else this is really ment to be for Devs and MS just views Devs as morons who in 2014 need to be told to back up files for a tech preview build. Sure seems like they know Joe is going to run this, IMO.

But ill repeat, im glad they, in plain language, were upfront about what this preview build will be doing. My concerns are that some idiot is going to have access to this keylogger / data mining, and be able to copy / paste it back into a virus for the final release later on.

Im really sad to see phones / tablets / pc all bundled into one OS. They say theyre listening to their customers, but are they really? Win 8 was a flop as far as MS is concered, IMO the reason theyre jumping to v10. They say theyre trying a new direction, but it seems to me the same direction 8 was.

OT, according to someone who muted me, VM loading of an OS is as if im not using it, so maybe Pydaw should drop the virtual builds, waste of bandwidth, we never used it!
Time will tell as to what it becomes. Ms say that its not attall fully featured. I think it was a mistake to release it as is. My take on it was that they didnt want Apple to get all the attention with the new OSX Yosemite version. So MS released a very premature beta. Really - its an alpha.

sellyoursoul wrote:Let me get this straight.... Given the hideousness of the Windows 10 tech preview privacy policy, some of the apologists are saying that it isn't intended to be used for any real work or everyday use. First, that would imply that ms has no intentions of gathering data pertaining to the use of Windows 10 for real work and everyday use, which is completely backward to the reasons for having a tech preview. I mean, it should be common sense that you have to really use an os in order to find out where it's faults are. And to really use an os, you have to do the things that you normally do...work, play, web surfing, whatever it is that you use a computer for, which is most likely what the majority fo tech preview users are doing right now. Second, if it isn't intended for real use, then why is ms collecting personal data in the first place? You mean to tell me that they went through the trouble of collecting names, email addresses, phone data, voice data, searches, web history, etc. with the expectation that people won't be using the tech preview for real things? I don't want to sound too cynical, but give me a break.
Did you EVEN try to install it before you post? Did you bother to check for your self what are the problems, etc.? Or are you just bashing because you have nothing better to do?

I have installed Windows 10 as na upgrade to na existing Windows 8.1 I had in a secondary machine, just for testing purposes. It installed smoothly, and everything was preserved (applications, user settings, everything. It even preserved the dual boot loader (I also have a Windows 7 in that machine - it is used by my son). So, before bashing, at least pick it up and install it. Besides, all this bullshit about data collecting, etc., seems to just exist when we talk about Windows, when it is tpday a transversal thing, that exists even more in mobile apps and OSes - na I don't see people concerned about that.

And how would you want MS to take reports seriously if they couldn't collect some data about the systems people are reporting on? This is a TECH PREVIEW - for those that are willing to help develop the OS. It should be clear by now what it is, since they wrote and told about it loud and clear.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:I have installed Windows 10 as na upgrade to na existing Windows 8.1 I had in a secondary machine, just for testing purposes. It installed smoothly, and everything was preserved (applications, user settings, everything. It even preserved the dual boot loader (I also have a Windows 7 in that machine - it is used by my son). So, before bashing, at least pick it up and install it. Besides, all this bullshit about data collecting, etc., seems to just exist when we talk about Windows, when it is tpday a transversal thing, that exists even more in mobile apps and OSes - na I don't see people concerned about that.
This guy has me muted, but this is the 'Joe' installing the tech preview i speak of. He doesnt care about the data collecting, but now his sons OS is free range for MS to collect and add to His MS account, along with network activity, and all the rest. Not implying that fmr's son is a deviant who does illegal things, but to think that a parent knows exactly what their child does on a computer / online 24/7, and agree with 100% of it to be 'linked' to it, is a stretch.

Also the data collecting 'bullshit' isnt just concerning windows. There are phones specifically sold (at premium) and marketed to be harder to track. Blackphone anyone? Just search 'black phone' and you find other products sold to protect privacy. The more people learn about all the tracking, the more they dont like it.

But i agree UltraJv, this tech preview seems premature. No idea about the OSX link, i definately fall into the MS 'fanboi' crowd. Ive worked on Apples on and off, but ive worked on / built / recommended PC's for decades.
Last edited by xNiMiNx on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Further info reveals that the tech preview is meant for Corporates :

"According to the company’s marketing script, this preview is for enterprises to try. A consumer preview will follow early next year, and a developer preview in April, to coincide with the Build conference in San Francisco"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/03 ... 0_preview/

UltraJv wrote:
sellyoursoul wrote:Let me get this straight.... Given the hideousness of the Windows 10 tech preview privacy policy, some of the apologists are saying that it isn't intended to be used for any real work or everyday use. First, that would imply that ms has no intentions of gathering data pertaining to the use of Windows 10 for real work and everyday use, which is completely backward to the reasons for having a tech preview. I mean, it should be common sense that you have to really use an os in order to find out where it's faults are. And to really use an os, you have to do the things that you normally do...work, play, web surfing, whatever it is that you use a computer for, which is most likely what the majority fo tech preview users are doing right now. Second, if it isn't intended for real use, then why is ms collecting personal data in the first place? You mean to tell me that they went through the trouble of collecting names, email addresses, phone data, voice data, searches, web history, etc. with the expectation that people won't be using the tech preview for real things? I don't want to sound too cynical, but give me a break.

Its not meant for joe public. They don't even know about it. Its a tech preview. Meant for devs. Its not a public release. Are you a dev? - no. They are open about what its meant to be. Would you rather that its operation and data discolsure was cloaked in mystery and that someone had discovered it by accident? If you worry about these things, you've got too much time on your hands, seriously. NOW, if the final version meant for joe public has all the data collection, THEN you will have a point. It wont. When you go to install an app on Android, it tells you what data it will collect. You can choose not to install it. Im glad that some systems are open about what they process. You need to take the third world order conspiracy somewhere else :-)
Actually, it is meant for Joe public, hence it being publicly available and the pr all over popular sites such as youtube, reddit, and tech related sites. Nowhere does ms say that it is meant for devs only. They do say that participants should be 'pc experts' or 'it pros'; anyone comfortable running software that is an unfinished state.

I'm glad that they're being open about the data collection, too, but I would rather that they not collect personal data at all. I'm not sure what would make you think otherwise. There is fundamentally no difference between collecting personal data now and collecting it later.

sellyoursoul wrote:
UltraJv wrote:

Its not meant for joe public. They don't even know about it. Its a tech preview. Meant for devs. Its not a public release. Are you a dev? - no. They are open about what its meant to be. Would you rather that its operation and data discolsure was cloaked in mystery and that someone had discovered it by accident? If you worry about these things, you've got too much time on your hands, seriously. NOW, if the final version meant for joe public has all the data collection, THEN you will have a point. It wont. When you go to install an app on Android, it tells you what data it will collect. You can choose not to install it. Im glad that some systems are open about what they process. You need to take the third world order conspiracy somewhere else :-)
Actually, it is meant for Joe public, hence it being publicly available and the pr all over popular sites such as youtube, reddit, and tech related sites. Nowhere does ms say that it is meant for devs only. They do say that participants should be 'pc experts' or 'it pros'; anyone comfortable running software that is an unfinished state.

I'm glad that they're being open about the data collection, too, but I would rather that they not collect personal data at all. I'm not sure what would make you think otherwise. There is fundamentally no difference between collecting personal data now and collecting it later.
Just because its posted everywhere by people who shouldnt be posting it, dosnt mean its meant for everyone. MS might stop that. There is only ONE place to get it officially. From the Ms website :

"A preview for PC experts

Windows Technical Preview is here today, but it’s a long way from done. We’re going to make it faster, better, more fun at parties...you get the idea. Join the Windows Insider Program to make sure you get all the new features that are on the way. If you’re okay with a moving target and don’t want to miss out on the latest stuff, keep reading. Technical Preview could be just your thing.

Download and install the preview only if you

Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.

We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you."

That dosnt sound like joe public does it? If you installed it then its down to you to accept it, not Ms.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... q#faq=tab0
Last edited by UltraJv on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fmr wrote:
Did you EVEN try to install it before you post? Did you bother to check for your self what are the problems, etc.? Or are you just bashing because you have nothing better to do? .
I read the privacy policy. Installing it isn't going to change the privacy policy.

Did you even read my post? I'm not bashing the os. I'm saying that microsoft's privacy policy isn't a good thing. We may disagree on that issue.

UltraJv wrote:
sellyoursoul wrote:
UltraJv wrote:

Just because its posted everywhere by people who shouldnt be posting it, dosnt mean its meant for everyone. MS might stop that. There is only ONE place to get it officially. From the Ms website :

Windows Technical Preview is here today, but it’s a long way from done. We’re going to make it faster, better, more fun at parties...you get the idea. Join the Windows Insider Program to make sure you get all the new features that are on the way. If you’re okay with a moving target and don’t want to miss out on the latest stuff, keep reading. Technical Preview could be just your thing.

Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you.

That dosnt sound like joe public does it? If you installed it then its down to you to accept it, not Ms.
If ms didn't intend for the tech preview to be public, they wouldn't have invited the public to use it. But they did invite the public to use it.

And yes, it does sound like Joe public. I would wage a bet that a large portion of the public know what bios is and how to use use an iso file. If anything, ms is only trying to steer away those people who don't know what those things are so as to avoid unnecessary headaches from people who don't know how to install an os.
Last edited by sellyoursoul on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I dont think its directed only at corporations. "Checking out Windows 10 for your company? Get the enterprise edition." This is why i asked if anyone has signed up for the enterprise edition, id like to know if its larger or smaller than the one theyre dumping out to 'Joe'. Then theres also the videos, some are general 'windows 10', and then they have the corporate / enterprise videos, pretty much dumped out at the same time.

It reminds me of the batman movie quote of penguin to catwoman, something about sending mixed signals.

sellyoursoul wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
sellyoursoul wrote:
UltraJv wrote:

We're not kidding about the expert thing. So if you think BIOS is a new plant-based fuel, Tech Preview may not be right for you.

Yes, it does sound like Joe public. I would wage a bet that a large portion of the public know what bios is and how to use use an iso file. If anything, ms is only trying to steer away those people who don't know what those things are so as to avoid unnecessary headaches from people who don't know how to install an os.
ah cmon, most people who have a PC don't know a thing about it. When it goes wrong they call a friend or family or company. Thats joe public. KVR is a tech place. SO we try this stuff :-)

UltraJv wrote:ah cmon, most people who have a PC don't know a thing about it. When it goes wrong they call a friend or family or company. Thats joe public. KVR is a tech place. SO we try this stuff :-)
I don't disagree, but there are plenty of people out there who know at least enough to be able to install an os, being that installing windows is about as difficult as installing an application these days. And don't underestimate the tech saviness of kids these days. But it's too bad that they're growing up in an age of terrible privacy violations, without realizing that it wasn't always this way, and without realizing the implications. The adults could be helping on that front, rather than ignoring it as if it is completely normal. If I somehow collected your kid's names, email data, phone data, search data, keystrokes, likes, and dislikes, you probably wouldn't like it very much. Yet, in some peoples' minds, it has become ok for companies to do so, as if it is normal.

sellyoursoul wrote:
UltraJv wrote:ah cmon, most people who have a PC don't know a thing about it. When it goes wrong they call a friend or family or company. Thats joe public. KVR is a tech place. SO we try this stuff :-)
I don't disagree, but there are plenty of people out there who know at least enough to be able to install an os, being that installing windows is about as difficult as installing an application these days. And don't underestimate the tech saviness of kids these days. But it's too bad that they're growing up in an age of terrible privacy violations, without realizing that it wasn't always this way, and without realizing the implications. The adults could be helping on that front, rather than ignoring it as if it is completely normal. If I somehow collected your kid's names, email data, phone data, search data, keystrokes, likes, and dislikes, you probably wouldn't like it very much. Yet, in some peoples' minds, it has become ok for companies to do so, as if it is normal.
I agree about the privacy violation, but don't fool yourself - they're here to stay, and if something, it will get worse with time. So, we have one of two options: Learn to live with the conscience we may be exposed anytime, anywhere, and therefore adjusting our behaviour to that (I personally have no problems with that), or exile ourselves in a desert Island and learn to live out of palmtrees and coconuts.

I try to teach my children about these problems, risking to appear to them as na old paranoid guy, but that's all I can do. Hopefully, they listen to me, and avoid risky behaviours. Fortunately, AFAIK, the societies in Europe are not as paranoid as in USA, so citizens are not so scrutinized, but not long ago, we had a political situation in Portugal where expressing opinions was a risky business, and people lived with the for almost 50 years. That didn't stop people to have opinions, and express themselves.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:...or exile ourselves in a desert Island and learn to live out of palmtrees and coconuts.
You mean, pull out the ethernet plug?

Zombie Queen wrote:
fmr wrote:...or exile ourselves in a desert Island and learn to live out of palmtrees and coconuts.
You mean, pull out the ethernet plug?
It's a way of putting things :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

If you keep up with wiki leaks, youll know that pulling out the ethernet plug doesnt help, not with them 8 mile wireless thingies. ;(

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”