RELATED
PRODUCTS
Guitar Gadgets

Brilliant!!! ;-)

Great news, will check it out asap.

Thanks!

Have fun ! :wink:

Hey Wolf, don't work on my DAW...
AMD 64 with Windows XP SP3 (32bit), Nuendo5, Studio One 2, WaveLab 6 and FL 9, all 32bit... o.O

That's not normal, I didn't change a lot of things since the last version...
Could you tell me if you have copied the last preset folder on the previous one, if the 1.2.2 worked for you, and if there is still a problem with the DAW Reaper ? I will investigate this tomorrow ;-)
Thanks !

PS it's already working on my computer on Windows XP SP3 32 bits with Reaper and Live 9.1

Well, the 1.2.2 version and works perfectly!
I think probably I need some other .dll in the System 32 folder... That dll in that case?
I cannot give up the Niagara Falls on my guitars!!!

I have changed nothing in the compilation process, so you don't need other DLLs... The only thing which is different is the preset system. If you still have the preset folder with presets in the 1.2.2 format, it might be the crash reason...
I'm going to grab the DAWs you are using and see if I can reproduce the issue...

I wonder also if the issue is related with SSE2. I haved added the support fo SSE2 instructions very recently, I don't remember if it was there on 1.2.2. Since your CPU is a AMD64, and people reported having issues with SSE2 instructions uses on other applications with this CPU, it might be the guilty one. I will provide a non SSE 2 DLL tomorrow ;-)

Re-Downloaded and tried here (Laptop 64 bit, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Studio One 32 bit) and here works perfectly!
I usually put all into a folder called "Musical Entropy" and works great... Very strange!!! :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ok that's it, the AMD 64 has SSE2 support only on 64 bits OSes, so it is just not possible for Guitar Gadgets 1.3.0 to work on your computer. I will update the windows zip with a non SSE2 version.

Sorry, I assumed that nowadays everybody which is still on 32 bits OSes has at least a CPU with SSE2 but I was wrong ;-)

[quote="Wolfen666"]Ok that's it, the AMD 64 has SSE2 support only on 64 bits OSes, so it is just not possible for Guitar Gadgets 1.3.0 to work on your computer. I will update the windows zip with a non SSE2 version.

Thanks Man! :hug:

Sorry, I assumed that nowadays everybody which is still on 32 bits OSes has at least a CPU with SSE2 but I was wrong ;-)[/quote]

No problems but (try to understand) I can't survive without Niagaras Falls on my clean guitars!!! :wink:

Didn't have time for an extensive test but looking good so far (fine on W7 32 bit, Reaper and Ableton).

I think I need to learn to play Sideways as it's quite a sensitive/reactive effect and different to how my old zoom did things (not worse just different).

I think the zoom would retrigger every time you played another note whereas Sideways seems to trigger then stay open for a while (until the signal drops?) letting subsequent notes through un-swelled. I can see this could be very useful, swell in gentle chords followed by a few notes to emphasise the melody etc. The zoom way is probably cruder though useful if you dump a whole load of delay and reverb after it (so the first chord is still bouncing around when you play the next).

Anyway, I need to spend more time playing with it (it did seem that harder picked notes always came through unswelled which was strange..?)

Thanks so much for your efforts, just sideways followed by niagara is pretty much ambient heaven already. :)

Turello > a new archive for Windows is online, featuring a non SSE2 version of Guitar Gadgets 1.3.0. That should solve your problem :wink:

GaryG > I agree with all your comments. I think the algorithm is not optimal for all the cases, and it is different of what I remember from the Zoom 707 II I owned in the past. However, I liked the fact I can do chords with the auto-swell, play a little, let the sound stop, and play again chords with the auto-swell. It works well also on single notes.

However, I really would like to have a Zoom 707 II-style auto-swell effect as well. So I thought I would develop it too, and put a switch on Guitar Gadgets' Sideways to choose between the two. I might do that very soon since I think I have already the good algorithm in my head :D

Wolfen666 wrote: I think the algorithm is not optimal for all the cases, and it is different of what I remember from the Zoom 707 II I owned in the past. However, I liked the fact I can do chords with the auto-swell, play a little, let the sound stop, and play again chords with the auto-swell. It works well also on single notes.
Absolutely, nothing wrong with your algo at all, I think once I've 'learnt' it it's going to be a really creative effect.
However, I really would like to have a Zoom 707 II-style auto-swell effect as well. So I thought I would develop it too, and put a switch on Guitar Gadgets' Sideways to choose between the two. I might do that very soon since I think I have already the good algorithm in my head :D
That would be awesome. :)

Thanks for your comments :wink:

Anyway, I think I might drop the current auto-swell algorithm, since... the new one I have just developed and played with this morning sounds so awesome after a few minutes of test :lol:

The current one as I told you is based on a creative use of a noise-gate. That's why the volume drops if you try to sustain notes, and that's why the retrigger happens only when the volume has been decreased after the auto-swell. It works for slow chords and it has indeed a few creative uses, but it is complicated to control in general and has some drawbacks.

The new one is a little different in its architecture. The retrigger can happen even if there is still some sound, if the signal is far enough from the threshold but not too much. It uses a lookahead (30 ms delay) to catch all the peaks and to start the auto-swell on them. The extra latency shouldn't be a problem since it doesn't have any sense to play fast with such a slow effect. And you can put the threshold low with a high attack to have again the slow chords swelled + melody lines unaffected. But you can also put the threshold higher with a low attack so you can play solo notes and swell them all. Finally you can still put the threshold at max so the auto-swell never happens, and you can have fun with the depth to transform the effect into a standard chorus + tremolo.

I'm ready also to add the improvements I talked about on the convolution engine, so the CPU load of the Convolutor and the Micro-Cassette will decrease a lot even with low audio interface buffer sizes and for people with very old CPUs :wink:
Last edited by Ivan_C on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”