Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Neat stuff! What type of copy-protection does Serum use?

bmrzycki wrote:Neat stuff! What type of copy-protection does Serum use?
A simple serial number.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Karten wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:Neat stuff! What type of copy-protection does Serum use?
A simple serial number.
:clap: :clap: :tu: :tu:

I can't believe my ears and eyes. This synth is amazing.
SoundCloud * Albums:"Elarchimeriac" "Imnixtimnuor" "Paustiufrutaa"
Join me and other ambient music passionates at AmbientOnline.org

Cyforce wrote:
billcarroll wrote:It's alive!

Hope you like this preset :hihi: :D

One of my favorites... Serum is really a monster - a great monster. Next to Spire surely one of the few top synths for the next years. Can`t wait to make a soundset for Serum :phones: :)
I actually chose the pic because I like the preset. :)

Yeah, so ... nice work! I have a feeling I'll be more than happy to buy your upcoming Serum sound set.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Really a synth worth considering for the production arsenal! I was a little concerned when a few of the pads maxed out my quadcore i7 with only 1 voice playing - but hopefully the code will be optimized a bit down the line.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Having fun with the demo. As lots of folks have mentioned, the ability to easily bring in your own samples and create wavetables is key. I've always wondered why other wavetable synths haven't provided the same function, or if so, have made it so clunky to do.

My single suggestion: I realize the point of this synth isn't expressive playing, but it's versatile enough that it certainly could do quieter, more expressive lead synth sounds. In order to do it right, though, it needs to allow for pitch vibrato. And in order to manage that, you'll need to add LFO Amount as a mod destination. Right now, only LFO Rate is present. If LFO Amount could be controlled by the modwheel or aftertouch, then you could do a proper pitch vibrato and play much more expressively. Hopefully you'll consider it.

Thanks, and congrats on the great release!

Dan

dreadnought wrote:If LFO Amount could be controlled by the modwheel or aftertouch, then you could do a proper pitch vibrato and play much more expressively.
You can do this in the mod matrix -- see p. 33 of the manual, "Mod Matrix: Mod"
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…

PaulSC wrote:
dreadnought wrote:If LFO Amount could be controlled by the modwheel or aftertouch, then you could do a proper pitch vibrato and play much more expressively.
A-ha! Looks like you're right. It's done in an unfamiliar way, so I'll have to check whether it gives exactly the same effect. Thanks for the tip!

dreadnought wrote:
PaulSC wrote:
A-ha! Looks like you're right. It's done in an unfamiliar way, so I'll have to check whether it gives exactly the same effect. Thanks for the tip!
Check the line where lfo is controlling the Pitch (fine) and just select the Aux source as Mod wheel or basically anything you want and select inverse multiply.....you can also alter the curves, Now that is future proofing the expressiveness that is possible in Serum
B Ray - Embrays - RAY
Valhalla Delay - 120 Presets, D16 Repeater - 80 Presets, Soundtoys Effectrack 150+ Presets, PA Unfiltered Audio BYOME - 100 Presets, Venomode Phrasebox - 100 Presets - https://gumroad.com/embrays

This looks like a very real Massive killer, to me.

It seems to out-do Massive in just about every area, while sounding great, offering more possibilities, and being able to easily do all the same types of sounds Massive can do, and beyond.

And with a gui done right. Looks like a great synth!

This one sounds stunning.. :o Great effects section too. CPU/sound quality ratio is also really good. Amazing! The Sylenth1 of the new era?? (not because of the features, but because of the sound quality/cpu ratio and EDM presets/popularity) :hyper:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I definitely don't think it has the sound quality/cpu ratio as sylenth.
rsp
sound sculptist

It's not as CPU friendly as Sylenth, but Sylenth is much more limited in its featureset. I'd bet money on the fact that Sylenth's limitations are what allowed Lennard to optimize it so ridiculously well (plus IIRC a good bit of it was written in straight assembler).

That being said though, Serum's sound quality is incredible, and it seems to have less CPU hit than Massive despite being sonically superior IMO. Sure it's not going to stay at <10% CPU all the time like Sylenth does, but Sylenth is pretty unique in that respect. Besides, it's been almost exactly 8 years since Sylenth was originally released at this point (think 2GB of RAM and dual core CPUs being top of the line), we've come a LONG way.

Serum's got a seriously great balance of sound/performance/flexibility behind it, it does a lot more sonically than Sylenth does while still being more CPU friendly than Massive. I think it's got a strong chance of becoming an EDM mainstay
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true

colinssx wrote:It's not as CPU friendly as Sylenth, .......................but Sylenth is pretty unique in that respect. ..........
that was my point, wasn't disputing that this sounds great etc, but I disagreed with what I interpret him as saying as it has roughly the same sound quality to cpu ratio as sylenth. Some of the patches are cpu hogs on my relatively new machine and I do have a few synths (Diva, Zebra2, Omnisphere, impOscar 2..... and something soon to be released) that I prefer the sound. Of course sound quality is a personal preference, but I too do think Sylenth is unique in that respect.

colinssx wrote:.......Serum's got a seriously great balance of sound/performance/flexibility behind it, it does a lot more sonically than Sylenth does while still being more CPU friendly than Massive. I think it's got a strong chance of becoming an EDM mainstay
that I agree is very possible.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”