Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

BBFG# wrote:This thread has me more suspicious of this product than intrigued now.
Low posters chumming and all. AV scanning as a file to discard before saving to drive...
Seems like something that it is better to wait on until the developer gets the download cleared with the AV companies and then let the public beta-fest run its course to start.
I think I'll wait a month or so to see how it has progressed with others first.

and enters KillJoy.
sigh
rsp
sound sculptist

nah, his snake-oil software prevented saving :)

BBFG# wrote:This thread has me more suspicious of this product than intrigued now.
Low posters chumming and all. AV scanning as a file to discard before saving to drive...
Seems like something that it is better to wait on until the developer gets the download cleared with the AV companies and then let the public beta-fest run its course to start.
Absolutely! I'm running Serum with zero problems, and I've signed up over two years ago and posted 1500+ posts with no other intend than to inform you of this fact. Suspicious indeed.

zvenx wrote:

and enters KillJoy.
sigh
rsp
I don't think I've seen him post anything good about a new product. :?
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

db3 wrote:
Karten wrote:
db3 wrote:Let's say I'm working on a patch and I decide I want to go back to using the default wave. How do I reload the default wave without hitting init?
Open the wave editor and then click on "add/remove" then "init all".
Nice one! :tu:
I just made a very simple collection of Saw/Triangle/Sine/Square, for easy access in the wavetable menu. It's dead easy to make yourself of course, but uploaded here for everyone's convenience as well. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thank you BDeep
rsp
sound sculptist

Robmobius wrote:
Low posters chumming and all.
I don't see any 'chumming', it's more excitement about a new product and it's a good one. Have you actually tried the demo?
I downloaded, got the virus warning and saved anyway as a possible 'false-positive'.
However, after noticing how many threads have popped up about this, and the number of posters with less than ten posts to just a couple of hundred, I do consider there to be some 'chumming of waters' going on here.
I also tend to see anything claimed as 'the best and superior to all others' as a possible indicator of cognitive distortion that never ends up worth dealing with in the long run.
So once this fervor subsides, it may have a more rational outlook and output is all.
And that could mean giving the developer time to also submit it to the AV people to quash 'false-positives' in scans.
Far too many 'flags' here.
I'm merely adopting a wait and see on this one.

BDeep wrote:I just made a very simple collection of Saw/Triangle/Sine/Square, for easy access in the wavetable menu. It's dead easy to make yourself of course, but uploaded here for everyone's convenience as well. :)
Cheers :tu:

BBFG# wrote:...
whee, paranoia these days...

Robmobius wrote:I don't think I've seen him post anything good about a new product. :?
You see only what you choose to see then.

e.g. Mangle; Cycle; and quite a few libraries for Kontakt have all found certain favor.

(Suffice it to say it is a Taoist thing w/ RBT)

BBFG# wrote:I'm merely adopting a wait and see on this one.
Which you will doubtless repeat multiple times for the next ten pages.

May I suggest new angles such as "I haven't tried it but it smells funny/has too many vowels in the name/doesn't rhyme with anything."

or "I haven't tried it but it's just like this other synth I haven't tried."

or "I downloaded it, and ran it backwards and it told me 'I killed Paul'."

And of course, invoking claims of groupthink.

BBFG# wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
Low posters chumming and all.
I don't see any 'chumming', it's more excitement about a new product and it's a good one. Have you actually tried the demo?
I downloaded, got the virus warning and saved anyway as a possible 'false-positive'.
However, after noticing how many threads have popped up about this, and the number of posters with less than ten posts to just a couple of hundred, I do consider there to be some 'chumming of waters' going on here.
I also tend to see anything claimed as 'the best and superior to all others' as a possible indicator of cognitive distortion that never ends up worth dealing with in the long run.
So once this fervor subsides, it may have a more rational outlook and output is all.
And that could mean giving the developer time to also submit it to the AV people to quash 'false-positives' in scans.
I'm merely adopting a wait and see on this one.
Well one way to cut through the chumming of course, would be to try the demo. But if you're not going to do that just yet, you're not likely really brining anything tangible to the table so-to-speak.

But I'd agree with you about the 'best ever' comments. People do get excited about new stuff, myself included. :) Truthfully, It can only ever produce a vague barometer.

I've tried the demo. It's architecture is sublime. It sounds very nice to me... I was a bit surprised at the omission of an arp. But lets hope that there is one included at some point. I much prefer it to Melda's new synth, but that just a matter of taste, and I've never got on with Melda's GUI.

I'm getting paid tomorrow... But I'm still not 100% sure if I need this synth. Not because it isn't great, more because I've a lot of synths already.

So I ask myself do I need another? Either way, I think Xfer have done a fantastic job here. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Then it should only be better down the line.
And it is nice to see at least three or four of the posters here are here regularly and not just those springing out of nowhere for just this release.

That's fair enough mate... At least now I know you like Cycle and Kontakt. :)

Kontakt in itself was a hard enough sell to me. Every library I buy for it takes a chance. Some have paid off, some have not.
Last edited by BBFG# on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”