Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Yorrrrrr wrote:This is expected if using betas (Serum) over betas (FL Studio 12 Beta).
Actually, the beta of Serum is MORE stable, not less... just not stable enough. w/r/t FL 12 beta, that too has the latest version of the FL wrapper which has in theory more bugs fixed, not less. The problem is that I can't easily A/B with FL11 since the project I'm using Serum in is enormous and FL is not foward-compatible (i.e. can't load a beta FLP into an earlier version).

I realize this is not explicitly an issue with Serum per se, since (from limited testing) it seems to be fine in REAPER. However, no other plugins are currently crashing FL either.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

aMUSEd wrote:What is the latest non beta version, in my account it still just has the Serum 1.0 OS X Installer?
There you have it...

FL 11.5 (FL12 beta?) comes with some pretty big warnings that it may have issues.

I would recommend paring down to a simple project and see if you can make Serum crash in any manner. Similarly in FL11. Right now I don't have a single user complaining about crashes, so I do suspect the combination of FL 12 beta, Serum, and maybe your machine. Feel free to contact me with any info directly, you have my email.

Steve
Serum | Xfer Records

I know there are a lot of moving parts here, and believe me it's very frustrating... I've probably crashed upwards of 30 times today including multiple times during a livestream on Twitch.

I just had a crash with a 100% completely empty project in FL12 beta (32bit) using one bridged instance of the latest Serum (64bit) playing some random notes. I can reproduce this 100%.

* Instantiate Serum (32 or 64bit)
* Change to a certain preset I made - nothing special about it really, just ~8 voices
* Open piano roll
* Draw a note and drag it vertically
* Crash.

Can confirm it does not happen in FL11.

Edit: OK, for some reason my 'disable polyphonic aftertouch' setting didn't save. When I switch that off, I can't reproduce the above crash.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

What version do you see on the GLOBAL tab of Serum? I was under the impression that the poly aftertouch issue in FL was resolved today.

BTW, I'd prefer we take this to the Serum forum or email, because this thread is not really a good catchall for support issues (not to mention I'm more responsive on either of those).

Disregard, didn't read properly (too early). Sorry!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Sampleconstruct wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:What is the latest non beta version, in my account it still just has the Serum 1.0 OS X Installer?
There you have it...
Still!? That's ridiculous.

aMUSEd wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
There you have it...
Newer installers are available on Forums.

I agree, however, that they should be moved to Downloads tab for clarity.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
There you have it...
I know but it seems to be in permanent beta.

i think Steve needs to do a newsletter etc. so people get notified better, at the same time i appreciate Steve's hard work and also replying here and everywhere! i just got serum 1 week and already love this guy (no homo) and he got my full support!
and i dont say that often, u-He too!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Demo is on 1.017 (windows 64 bit). Is that the latest build?

aMUSEd wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
There you have it...
I know but it seems to be in permanent beta.
Somewhere in this epic thread Steve mentioned, that the guy updating the Xfer website should have updated the installer, but that post was months ago and I agree that the version 1.0 installer in the aacounts should be replaced asap, as that was by far the worst and most instable built and since then Serum has actually evolved into a different kind of synth with many more features, a doubled Modmatrix and so many improvements.

I rename all the Serum .dll files so I can use all versions in FL Studio.
So in FL studio I see something like: Serum_64bit_1_044 and Serum_32bit_1_011

The one I use most right now is Serum 1.016 the 32 bit version.

Once in a while I get a Serum patch that was made in a newer version.

My FL Studio is v 11.1 and really really stable (and of course I set FL studio to auto save every 5 minutes, that function is golden since they implemented it a number of years ago)

1.044 both the 32 bit and 64 bit have issues, like no info text on mouseover. Some crashes and sometimes the wavetable editor freezes up.

I wish people that make patches and spread them around (or sell them) would make and save those patches in Serum versions that are known to be relatively stable.

Then there are the following compatibility options in the VST wrapper in FL Studio.

- Process inactive inputs and outputs (off)
- Notify about rendering mode (off)
- Allow threaded processing (on, but don't see much difference in cpu usage , not even with process hacker directly on ilbridge.exe)
- send loop position (on, I wonder if I can fool Serum in to not restarting an LFO when the section looping in FL Studio is shorter then the LFO)

- Used fixed size buffers (off, can cause extra latency. I only have this one with some plugins that sometimes have trouble with the first note, and reverb plugins. Spectrasonics and RP-verb are the only ones where I switch this on once in a while when I have a problem.)

- Bridged (the benefit of bridging Serum even when you don't have it that when it crashes it does not crash FL Studio itself, it's easy to just kill the right ilbridge.exe ... procces hackers tells you which one is Serum. Then you can just reload Serum. At least that way all of FL studio does not freeze up.

So far all is good, but on my mobile i5, right now I am really hitting CPU limitations in my patches. Even without to much unison, if I fill half of the matrix with parameters moving around. And then a tidbit of release time and my system can't manage anymore. That 1.044 has a draft mode and it's great! But 1.044 is causing to much issues for me right now so I still prefer 1.016

Also I would like a way to separate patches that were made in 1.044 because once in a while I try open them in 1.016 and they don't work. I guess I should just make a folder and then I'll know those patches won't work in a older version.
Last edited by Kain on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Email your issues to Steve. His email is in the Serum beta thread on the Xfer Records forum.

Oh he is already aware, it actually already stated this on the xfer website when I downloaded that beta.
I should have another look and try out the latest version. Steve is really improving on the software every time, but it will take a while before we have a perfect build. :)

The draft option was very useful for me!

Return to “Instruments”