Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Kain wrote:I'm so in love with Serum. Like seriously ... will I ever get sleeeeeeep?
Probably not. :phones:

Did you like the sound? Since Serum I am finally making my own patches from scratch. Before Serum I think I made maybe 3 or 4 patches in Omnisphere from scratch and everything else was just tweaking and modifying existing patches in mainly Omnisphere, Trilian, Sylenth1 and Massive (and then a bit of 3XOSC and Sytrus). Not that I can have a sound in my head and then make it but while playing around in Serum I just hear idea's and with Serum I can actually implement those idea's pretty decent. Omnisphere was also fairly straight forward. But Massive and Sylenth1? Compared to Serum they are unnecessarily difficult and complex to work with.
And I am starting to watch video's like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

And then follow along in Serum + Wave Candy (oscillator with the right settings) in FL Studio that can show you how different waveforms form a superposition in real time. Really interesting! I wonder if I would make a video of Wave Candy in a high enough framerate ... would it contain all the information that the sound does? Can one make a video of a visual oscillator that has a high enough update rate and use that video to turn it back in to sound? I would say yes, but it's a weird idea that a chord with different notes played at the same time is al just one new wave (superposition) that hits my ears.

Kain wrote:Did you like the sound?
You haven't posted anything that I haven't enjoyed, Kain. :phones: = like
Kain wrote:And then follow along in Serum + Wave Candy (oscillator with the right settings) in FL Studio that can show you how different waveforms form a superposition in real time. Really interesting! I wonder if I would make a video of Wave Candy in a high enough framerate ... would it contain all the information that the sound does? Can one make a video of a visual oscillator that has a high enough update rate and use that video to turn it back in to sound?
The only thing I've used an oscilloscope for so far with Serum was when writing the formula for that VOSIM wavetable in the other thread. I can't imagine trying to replicate a complex evolving sound one frame/cycle at a time that way, but for general insight and troubleshooting an oscilloscope is definitely handy.

im a bit sad that there are so many EDM sets and stuff but not a Droney, FX, Soundtrack pack, with all the modulations etc. i can imagine awesome wicked sounds instead of typial Saw leads etc. which you can do in nearly all other synths as well ;).
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Greg Houston wrote: You haven't posted anything that I haven't enjoyed, Kain. :phones: = like
Hey thx man, that's a really nice compliment! I hope you will like this next one to:

https://soundcloud.com/matthijsbos/nostalgia-not-found

I reused that bass I made in that ooh no Kain_niak Hell Yeah track

And another patch I made that I call: "Sad German Saw Pluck"

And then loaded some more copies of those two , so I can make changes without getting lost in automation.
9 in total.

I could not record it, had to render it because my CPU was maxing out. But worth it!

Anybody that knows what the last minute of Nostalgia Not Found reminds me of? Some computer game or something, like Skyroads? Maybe Airwolf theme ... no that can't be it. It sounds so familiar.

Yeah it's not finished, I want to hear more just like anybody that likes this style. But for now; fire and forget and finally time for sleep! I did 50 hours straight :scared:

Hope to wake up with some people that dig these sounds. :tu:

Kain wrote:
Greg Houston wrote: You haven't posted anything that I haven't enjoyed, Kain. :phones: = like
Hey thx man, that's a really nice compliment! I hope you will like this next one to:

https://soundcloud.com/matthijsbos/nostalgia-not-found

I reused that bass I made in that ooh no Kain_niak Hell Yeah track

And another patch I made that I call: "Sad German Saw Pluck"

And then loaded some more copies of those two , so I can make changes without getting lost in automation.
9 in total.

I could not record it, had to render it because my CPU was maxing out. But worth it!

Anybody that knows what the last minute of Nostalgia Not Found reminds me of? Some computer game or something, like Skyroads? Maybe Airwolf theme ... no that can't be it. It sounds so familiar.

Yeah it's not finished, I want to hear more just like anybody that likes this style. But for now; fire and forget and finally time for sleep! I did 50 hours straight :scared:

Hope to wake up with some people that dig these sounds. :tu:
i love the hypnotizing sound you made in the 2nd demo, can you let me know how you made it or share it ? :)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:im a bit sad that there are so many EDM sets and stuff but not a Droney, FX, Soundtrack pack, with all the modulations etc. i can imagine awesome wicked sounds instead of typial Saw leads etc. which you can do in nearly all other synths as well ;).
What? please have a look here:
http://www.patchpool.de/serum.html

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Caine123 wrote:im a bit sad that there are so many EDM sets and stuff but not a Droney, FX, Soundtrack pack, with all the modulations etc. i can imagine awesome wicked sounds instead of typial Saw leads etc. which you can do in nearly all other synths as well ;).
What? please have a look here:
http://www.patchpool.de/serum.html
oh thanks! i will check it out asap, i didnt read the whole topic :D

why are there 5 related products in the Official Serum thread! there should one: serum no? just got confused for a second :ud:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:why are there 5 related products in the Official Serum thread! there should one: serum no? just got confused for a second :ud:
Only 5? There must be 20+ by now.

Caine123 wrote:
i love the hypnotizing sound you made in the 2nd demo, can you let me know how you made it or share it ? :)

Sure, it's mainly automation with Serum. Image

I have put the three Serum patches from that track in a zip file together with the FL Studio project file. It started as one bass patch and I named it "Nice smooth bass groove" but in the project there are three copies of that patch called Smooth Bass 1, Smooth Bass 2 and the HypnoToad (because of what you wrote) :D

Effect plugins needed are:

- Classic Phaser
- Rob Papen reverb
- Guitar Rig 3
- Maximus

And Stylus RMX for the drums. The rest is the three Serum patches.

I just had a listen without the effect plugins on and the hypnotic sound is still there!
:tu:

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Tjgoa wrote:why are there 5 related products in the Official Serum thread! there should one: serum no? just got confused for a second :ud:
Only 5? There must be 20+ by now.
In a year there will be 100+

Steve made all the other synths less valuable and set a new standard! :D

Kain wrote:
Nah, let's not get carried away here, for wavetable synthesis I think Serum is it, but that's it.

Kain wrote:
Caine123 wrote:

Sure, it's mainly automation with Serum. Image

I have put the three Serum patches from that track in a zip file together with the FL Studio project file. It started as one bass patch and I named it "Nice smooth bass groove" but in the project there are three copies of that patch called Smooth Bass 1, Smooth Bass 2 and the HypnoToad (because of what you wrote) :D

Effect plugins needed are:

- Classic Phaser
- Rob Papen reverb
- Guitar Rig 3
- Maximus

And Stylus RMX for the drums. The rest is the three Serum patches.

I just had a listen without the effect plugins on and the hypnotic sound is still there!
:tu:
man thanks so much :D i recently paid for Serum a member here on kvr just waiting to get it delivered and then i can checkout your project :), fl studio myself!

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Kain wrote:
Nah, let's not get carried away here, for wavetable synthesis I think Serum is it, but that's it.
i know i suck cause i got too many synths i dont know but i purchased Serum from a member here and wait for transfer, i think the new Waldorf plugin will be interesting too for wavetable stuff and modulations. but if you say that Serum is it then it means a lot and i think wavetable + those modulations = normally no other synth needed lol.

Return to “Instruments”