Ik's 1176 is killer - also some great T Racks stuff hey?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In my search of which few plugins to keep in my almost total shutdown/sellout,

i can't believe by having t racks grand how much AMAZING stuff that covers ALL my eq and dynamics needs is already in there. Easy. Done.

Except i have 2 licenses :hihi:

But anyway, i was comparing 1176 as i love them, and i really really gave them a workout, and even with look ahead enabled in the softube which was my previous favourite, it just can't get the attacks as consistent as the IK... also the IK is definitely doing something to the sound.. I am sure of it... I read somewhere that they didn't model the transformer etc but I swear i can hear the audio changing even without GR.

Anyway, i just LOVE the attack and release on this thing, and driving it hard sound wicked as well. It even sounds good on already compressed stuff.

10/10

In reason i have the softube, in logic the IK, best of all worlds :D

The next was the white.. i dunno if it's just me but i am not as convinced with this one, and don't shoot me, i think i may prefer the cakewalk!

I actually prefer the IK to softube's NI ones, and DEFINITELY compared to the waves one, but it's not quite right IMO at levelling the vocal out.

Still sounds good enough for most tasks.

But yeah, i think IK gets a lot of flack, sometimes justified but alot not, and we forget about amazing plugins like this that have really good sale prices all the time, no dongles, and compared favourable even with the uad rehash (i.e 1176 release 2). I am now convinced without a shadow of the doubt, the IK 1176 is the best native 1176 plugin around. The reason i was always so huge on the softube is because of the detection filter, the wet/dry and look ahead. But the IK just sounds better (even though the softube is still fab, don't get me wrong!)

IK, why don't you add arbitrary (to code) updates of an internal high pass and wet/dry? Who would it hurt?

I think it would make it just even more perfect!

IK 1176 10/10

LA2A 7/10

Pultec 7/10

opti Compressor 9/10

Fairchild 8/10

Brickwall (this one surprises me that it's actually very good) 8/10

Clipper 8/10

T Racks CS 10/10

British Channel 10/10

White Channel 8/10

Bus Comp - another absolute corker 9/10

EQ432 - 10/10 (my goodness where did this come from? it's amazing! What does it model?)

73/81 - 9/10 (finally decent native neve EQ's)

Quad processors 5/10 (awful crossovers)

Deesser 5/10 (simply outclassed by Pro DS, Tonebooster and Nectar)

T racks overall 9/10

Some really good stuff there.

REALLY good stuff.

I'd like to see a refresh of the pultec/fairchild to make them a bit better

And also the quad stuff improved with clean crossovers which are CRITICAL for multiband stuff

There's a couple processors i still have to try

I keep looking for a way to kick the UAD habit. Started day one with the first UAD-1 card and purchased almost all UAD-1 plugins. Didn't really care for what I considered slightly hyped and misleading advertising from UA concerning the usage of these cards although I did upgrade to PCIe cards about 7 years ago.

I've avoided UAD-2 and really wanted native equivalents to take over but then I saw this video comparing several of the leading LA-2A software contenders including the IK. Now I'm hating myself for considering a UAD-2 purchase, and I do have the IK White 2A although I do prefer the NI/Softube 2A and the Cakewalk CA-2A over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mV52vxXmc4

Thanks for that video! Quite funny how superior to the waves the IK sounds. Wow. What a shame he didn't put in the cakewalk.

Interesting about the NI.. it seems to be the most transparent of the three but i still prefer the Ik.. but yeah as i said the IK isn't my favourite 2A.

Do you know if the UAD are the new revisions?

I bet you in any *1176* comparo the Ik will hold up :)

I tested the hell out of it and it can do so much before falling apart and it's attack is wicked fast but without distorting in an ugly way :)

BTW with the UAD, i easily prefer the middle one, whatever that is, out of the 3 UAD ones in that video.

Hmm on second listen the Ni does have an edge in that song if only for overall smoothness, but that's what an LA2A is all about right, smooth levelling.

OK i think i will ditch my separate license i have of the white and investigate cake or NI.. and i still have the white in grand if need be :D

Leaving aside the, um, "unique" way in which IK markets and sells their products, they certainly do have talented developers when it comes to emulations of analog gear. I agree with Theo that many of the T-RackS plugins, especially the newer stuff, are among the best native processors available.

The latest Black 76 does model the transformers ... they added that feature to both this and the White 2A a year or two ago. Both are killer -- only UAD beats them, IMHO, although that NI VC2A is silky-smooth.

The 432 Mastering EQ models a Sontec hardware unit, IIRC. Great sound, but oh my poor CPU. :o

The Neve emulations are my favorites in native-land. Again, only UAD, with their new 1073, does a better Neve EQ ... the IK 33609 is at least as good as UAD's. Looking forward to trying the new API models.

When cost is a factor, the IK stuff is a great deal, especially if you know how to work the IK shopping experience to get the best prices. Not that they make it easy, but it is possible to get the good stuff for cheap, a small fraction of what you'll pay for UAD equivalents.

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

Hey Eddie cheers! I must admit it must be the vocal cause on the more "undulating" one i tested it on, the NI 2a just didn't cope at all.

But you are so right, it is the best in that video, it is just so silky smooth as if it has glued the vocal together.

I have run out of demo time in reason for the cakewalk one so will see if there is a demo for the AU and try it again, looking forward to it.

I picked up IK T-Racks Grand when it was on offer a while back and also couldn't be happier. I ditched the NI/Softube vintage equivalents as I wasn't feeling them at all, but instantly hit it off with IK when I heard the 76. I also have a soft spot for the Cakewalk 2A.

Wish that T-racks had a good DBX 160 emulation.

waltercruz wrote:Wish that T-racks had a good DBX 160 emulation.
I use the NI/softube one on my bass recordings. Seems to work magic. Yes, it would be great if there was an IK one

@topic: I love my 76 black :shrug:

And again nobody has mentioned the Classic Multiband Limiter. Please, do yourself a favour and put it on your drumbus. If you have no clue how to use it track down a copy of a Aphex Dominator manual...

Here is how I use it: x-over @ 80Hz & 1.7kHz, set overload to max (5dB or 6dB...dunno right now), and shortest release. Don´t use the EQs and thresholds so leave them @ 0dB. Now crank up drive and watch GR :)

If the sound starts to distort adjust release time...overload gives you some nice control over your transients: the more counterclockwise the more "soft/squashed" it sounds. And lower output. It´s not a true limiter.

Anyways, this is one of the most underrated plug ins ever. :!:

Cheers,
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

My favorite 1176 “inspired” compressor is Stillwell The Rocket (though not a true emulation, it's still my favorite). I have The Rocket, IK's 1176 and NI's 1176 and the Rocket still wins in my book (though it’s much older than the others).

The IK Precision Comp/limiter and Bus Comp are my favorite IK compressors. TheoM, you did not mention the Precision Comp in your thread. Do yourself a big favor and try out the demo… (or not, if you are afraid that you will spend money and buy it.. because you probably will).
Play it by ear

Thanks for the tip Sebastian! very cool!

I have been doing the classic 1176/la2a combo and i am just not feeling the Ik white.. it actually starts creating too much variation in a vocal that has already had the peaks caught by the 1176.. in other words the white puts them BACK :lol:

I am feeling this combo: Ik Black with Cakewalk LA2A. I was happy to see i had never demoed the AU so i have 30 days to enjoy that now.

pheeleep wrote:My favorite 1176 “inspired” compressor is Stillwell The Rocket (though not a true emulation, it's still my favorite). I have The Rocket, IK's 1176 and NI's 1176 and the Rocket still wins in my book (though it’s much older than the others).

The IK Precision Comp/limiter and Bus Comp are my favorite IK compressors. TheoM, you did not mention the Precision Comp in your thread. Do yourself a big favor and try out the demo… (or not, if you are afraid that you will spend money and buy it.. because you probably will).

I haven't tried it yet.. it's blue..looks like the UAD neve one.. is it based on a neve bus comp or anything? Anyway will try it tonight FOR SURE:) I think that's the only one i missed demoing.

That 432 EQ has got me blown away. Like, it's REALLY sweet and smooth. I mean it seems ideal to master with as it's just so delicate and could really enhance in a lovely manner.

Edit, that's the thing, i already have enough credits to buy 2 plugins, i had the credits for over a year. I won't be buying more.

So the EQ is a no brainer. That leaves me with what to choose for the second one, but i don't know whether to wait if t racks go half price like amplitube is now, then i may be able to use the credits to get 4!

Regarding the IK coloring the sound without compression, do you think you're hearing the oversampling low pass filter? That has a huge impact on the sound. :)

-Sam

The Fairchild is my absolute favorite. :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “Effects”