Nobody appreciates small time electronic music makers/electronic musician for most is a lonely life

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

But most of the recognized bods now started out as small producers to begin with.

You've really got to have that 'sound' (which I don't like), and be able to sell yourself as well. Then there's the luck factor too...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I'm happy with the few likes and comments I get on soundcloud

I do wish my friends were more interested, it's like they've decided my music is bad/weird and don't want to bother with it :lol:

Being a musician by definition defeats loneliness and sustains you. If you don't like doing it, you aren't capable of it.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

dayjob wrote:
Frantz wrote:Image

Congratulations! :party:

Can we stop now? :help:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Never. Now to begin, again. Different story. 8)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

The internet has so many free plugins, and when/if preferences vary you can download free demos of low cost software. No one has anything to complain about choice-wise or cost-wise.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com

I only care about feeling appreciated by people I appreciate (a very select few).

if you arent getting at least 4 chicks a night youre doing it all wrong!

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maths never lies!

T-CM11 wrote:I only care about feeling appreciated by people I appreciate (a very select few).
I hear you there. If I feel that someone has a sense of music that I respect, and I'm unable to move them, I feel that perhaps I'm not doing my job as a musician. I don't care at all if I impress the masses, or those who I don't connect with musically, but if I say that I'm trying to accomplish X, and that other people say that they really like X, and by that I mean, if I like X={x1,x2,x3} and they say "yes, I like those tracks/artists/labels for reasons Y", and I agree with their reasons Y, then if I can't move them with my variant of X, there might be something that I can work on.

Now, to be clear, I don't mean anything more than I can get them to comment, dance, turn their head, smile in appreciation, etc. I'm not talking about selling records because I've never given two shits about that. Nobody is downloading my music today, mostly because I make virtually no effort to make anything available, but in the past, I've experienced appreciation, and criticism, from others. What I take from that and whether or not I pay any attention to it at all, is very dependent on who the feedback is coming from.

This is why I'm challenging the OP to define what he means by appreciation and who he's trying to reach. If he's asking "why don't I have a gold record", well, I'm not sure that question can be answered purely in musical terms. On the other hand, if he's asking "why don't my friends like my music", well, even that question has potentially more to do with their tastes than it does with his music. But, if he's asking something to the effect of "Why haven't the dozen or so people who I talked to at some GENRE event listened to or commented on my track that's in the style of GENRE", then feedback about music might be really helpful in increasing appreciation of his music from that narrow point of view.

Chapelle wrote:So, Tiësto is doing it right?
Lol, no, girls don't like not being your only focus(there's more than one girl in that pic).

You can't disregard feeding your garden and still get edible fruit from it.

Chapelle wrote:
vurt wrote:if you arent getting at least 4 chicks a night youre doing it all wrong!
So, Tiësto is doing it right?

Yes, he is. Now, let's be clear, I think that he creates shit and is a shit DJ who is liked by people with no musical taste whatsoever. Ok, I'm a little judgmental, but whatever. The point is, if that's the appreciation that he's looking for and he is "musically happy", then who are we to judge that he's doing it wrong? He certainly knows who his audience is and he plays what they want to hear and, thus, is appreciated.

Again, I'm not saying that you should play what people want to hear, I'm saying that you should find your audience for the music that you want to create. Sometimes that involves looking for people that like what you are doing, but it can also involve looking to do something for the people that you like.

4damind wrote:It depends of the music. Listeners are not stupid and hearing the difference between an artist and copy & paste musician.
Playing an instrument get's more respect because people know the time and learning curve behind this.
Well, I have bad news for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNFAjJMmXTU

it's mostly bad because these are the songs that you hear in Tomorrowland, which represents the biggest EDM festival in the world, if I'm correct. Most of that, if I remember correctly, has been produced by one ghostproducer. But regardless, these "artists" get plenty of respect from people.

EDIT: What is said below actually doesn't have to do much with what 4damind wrote, apart from that it brought the topic in my mind. It seems to be somewhat "general atmosphere" in terms of how other musicians see electronic musicians.

Also, there is a time and learning curve behind electronic music production. I'm seriously uncertain why people think that producing electronic music requires no time or effort in terms of learning. It took me around two years before I could reliably get around a DAW, before I knew how to actually use synths (sure, using presets is one way and I use them — but it's rare that they would not require a lot of tweaking). It took me even longer to start understanding musical structure. It took me that long to understand how to apply the very basics of music theory. It took me that long to understand how I can a sense of space with reverb, delays and panning.

It took me even longer to understand that why I would not want to do X or Y (they can literally be anything) despite the fact that the number of channels does not limit me. It took me even longer to understand why I would want to use algorithmic reverb for something and convolution reverb for something else.

I can literally continue this for days to come up with all the things I've learned during these few years and I still feel like there's an universe of things waiting for me to pick up on. And the largest issue is, that a lot of us actually do play instruments or otherwise can appreciate them by, for example, knowing their specific intricacies and following them (think about chord voicings for a guitar).

Yes, if you want, you can use construction kits to "create" songs and so forth. Their very existence implies that there's actually a market for that kind of stuff. But do not, even implicitly, make these sweeping generalizations how the whole generation is like that.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”