Nobody appreciates small time electronic music makers/electronic musician for most is a lonely life

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: Oh cmon, Fernando's just pulling your leg, he loves EDM.

https://soundcloud.com/frommyreality
Just in case someone took this seriously, I AM NOT THAT GUY. Nothing personal against him, I just don't like to be taken for someone else.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:

Just in case someone took this seriously, I AM NOT THAT GUY. Nothing personal against him, I just don't like to be taken for someone else.
Hahaha. Duly noted.

AudioPhile2 wrote: She didn't say most EDM doesn't have artistic value. She said *some* of it is not art at all, because it's made for dancing, with no regard for music qua music. What could be more arrogant than this? That's quite a claim to be made about a genre from which many find joy. But then, maybe she is the God-like figure that can make such pronouncements.
I don't think Jancivil said "*some* of it is not art at all, because it's made for dancing". ALL EDM is made for dancing (I presume), therefore, there would be a lack of logic in that statement. Besides, I think we all already agreed that there can be music made for dancing (or for film, or for commercials) that can also be art. It's the meaning of ART that is separating us, I think. For some, ART has simply a so broader sense as to be vitually meaningless (and yes, you kind of "implied" that EDM is art because the audience vibrates while listening to it - a definition of art that I find quite strange, but that's probably because of my "narrow mind".
Fernando (FMR)

Functional wrote: Though I really wish term "EDM" would be clarified - does it cover mostly mainstage genres or does it cover stuff like chicago house, dubtechno, minimal techno etc. Think there is a fine line between Sandwell District and Tiesto or any other mainstage name.

Because honestly, even though I can't claim what is art or is not, I still think that most if not all of the stuff at Tomorrowland (for example) has very little to do with art as I see it
EDM has always been an umbrella term for those in the scene, it has come to mean "big room house", which is itself a nonsense term, by newcomers and the mainstream media.

When I use the term, I mean "electronic dance music", I'm not sure what other people mean. I wish people would refer to even "mainroom house" as something else. I would call it "nuprogressive", for example, as that is essentially what it is.

fmr wrote:

Riiiiigghhhhtttt, cmon, tell the twoooooth, you know you luvs teh EDM.

ghettosynth wrote: When I use the term, I mean "electronic dance music", I'm not sure what other people mean.
For me it's what it means, nothing more, nothing less.
Fernando (FMR)

ghettosynth wrote:
fmr wrote:

Riiiiigghhhhtttt, cmon, tell the twoooooth, you know you luvs teh EDM.
:lol: I have to agree it would be funny (and a great marketing coup) :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
AudioPhile2 wrote: She didn't say most EDM doesn't have artistic value. She said *some* of it is not art at all, because it's made for dancing, with no regard for music qua music. What could be more arrogant than this? That's quite a claim to be made about a genre from which many find joy. But then, maybe she is the God-like figure that can make such pronouncements.
I don't think Jancivil said "*some* of it is not art at all, because it's made for dancing". ALL EDM is made for dancing (I presume), therefore, there would be a lack of logic in that statement.
"If your graphics are directly suited to a bubblegum wrapper, the content and form of that follow that restriction. It isn't like 'art' in a certain sense. But we can claim anything as art, here after the fact; as I said before that is 'framing'. I don't know how you're going to frame some of dance music as musical art for me."

Call me crazy. But she said she can't "frame some dance music as musical art," because it is restricted to the "bubble gum wrapper" of dance. Followed by a disclaimer about not wanting to control people's definition of art, either way--as if that was something anyone was capable of--and as if she didn't call my opinion of what is art "Bullshit" soon after her brief moment of humbleness.

ntom wrote:
This actually makes sense, although when applied to the mainstream EDM scene, it's sort of a cynical view on it all - justifiably of course.

Per fmr;
At this point I feel like your scrutinizing music under some sort of academic levels. Just because it doesn't have X, or it doesn't have Y it is no longer considered art? My question is; who are you to say it isn't art?
You're welcome to have your own dictionary to define your own rules, but when you change the meaning of wanker to a greeting and you start going around calling people wankers, you may find your dictionary to be causing people to get rather annoyed with you.
In contrast to what I mentioned in quoting janicivil, while it's a cynical view, indeed, on the mainstream EDM scene (such as Garrix, Deadmau5, Avicii) and I whole heartedly would not doubt for a second their isn't a glimmer of heart put into their music, they just churn it out to make a buck and get the girls -and guys (we're not sexist here) to scream over them, but, that doesn't mean we have the right to say it, and all forms of it that crop up in the mainstream EDM scene, are not valid forms of art. Perhaps the art of it comes down to how generic it can sound while still churning the cash/bum machine.
ghettosynth wrote: EDM has always been an umbrella term for those in the scene, it has come to mean "big room house", which is itself a nonsense term, by newcomers and the mainstream media.

When I use the term, I mean "electronic dance music", I'm not sure what other people mean. I wish people would refer to even "mainroom house" as something else. I would call it "nuprogressive", for example, as that is essentially what it is.
just to clarify.

EDIT /unrelated
Okay, how come everyone knows Jancivil is a she? Seriously, I have been attending this forum for quite a while (granted no where near as long as the "classic" KVR group) and I didn't know this.
You may now return to your regularly scheduled debate.

fmr wrote:
For some, ART has simply a so broader sense as to be vitually meaningless (and yes, you kind of "implied" that EDM is art because the audience vibrates while listening to it - a definition of art that I find quite strange, but that's probably because of my "narrow mind".
I didn't say anything about vibration. I said it's created to evoke emotion, and does. That's one thing that things we call art do.
Last edited by AudioPhile2 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ntom wrote:
ntom wrote:
just to clarify.

EDIT /unrelated
Okay, how come everyone knows Jancivil is a she? Seriously, I have been attending this forum for quite a while (granted no where near as long as the "classic" KVR group) and I didn't know this.
You may now return to your regularly scheduled debate.
I don't personally. Someone referred to Jancivil as a she.

Guys seriously. We could go on all year about this. I'll let the next wave of retorts come in, read them, and that's it for me.

Jancivil and fmr are smart people. We just can't agree on this one thing, in principle, it seems. I would love to talk with them about other stuff.

I want to get more out of this forum, as I am new, and can't devote all my energy to this argument while holding other discussions. I'm not clever enough.

AudioPhile2 wrote:
fmr wrote:

Hahaha. Duly noted.
He's just being modest, I met him personally once and he even has his own dance moves. Dance music is in his blood, he's just trying to get you guys to think a little bit, you slackers.

If true, it worked ;)

AudioPhile2 wrote:If true, it worked ;)

This is pretty much the signature f.m.r. track, I think the title tells it all.

https://soundcloud.com/frommyreality/f- ... -finger-ep

Fernando has been on the mailing lists for years, he was writing about Fatboy Slim in the early 2000s, the guy knows EDM.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”