Aphex Twin - Syro

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

spaceman wrote:The impression I get from this album (as with most of his stuff) is that you have this guy with a million ideas and a million more bits of gear and, unfortunately, he's decided to use them all at once. And I fecking hate random bleep chopped up glitch crap.

But I do think he's good because somehow he still manages to get me to keep listening.
give it a few more listens, soon it will start to grow on you. In Richards words there is a method there, its not just bleep glitch!

I gave it a few listens, and can honestly say, its the worst vinyl buy this year. A couple of tracks are 'ok' but it really didnt grow on me. I have to revert to my original thought.

Drivel

Let down by AFX, get Dubnobasswithmyheadman instead: http://www.discogs.com/Underworld-Dubno ... se/6162132

Kriminal wrote:I gave it a few listens, and can honestly say, its the worst vinyl buy this year. A couple of tracks are 'ok' but it really didnt grow on me. I have to revert to my original thought.

Drivel
That's where I am still. Circlont6a[somecrapbetweenbrackets] jumped out a bit, but the rest is growing on me as much as grass grows on the outside of the international space station.

I'll keep listening to give it a chance.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

That crap between brackets in the track names, is that the radio frequency of the static noise that inspired that particular track?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:The impression I get from this album (as with most of his stuff) is that you have this guy with a million ideas and a million more bits of gear and, unfortunately, he's decided to use them all at once.
For 'Syro', I totally agree. But not for the rest of his work.

Numanoid wrote:...get Dubnobasswithmyheadman instead: http://www.discogs.com/Underworld-Dubno ... se/6162132
You posted the wrong link. :wink:

This is the proper one:
http://www.discogs.com/Underworld-Dubno ... se/5939352
:tu:

e@rs wrote:
metamorphosis wrote:
deathwish wrote:I never listened to this guy but from what I've heard of this album, it's just bunch of non-hooky nonsense. Not danceable in the least bit and that's what people look for in electronic music otherwise it's just boring.
Omigod. What an idiot.
Like comparing jazz with rock.
Hilarious.
Ouch! Maybe a little too harsh?
harsh? no. it was probably one of the most musically ignorant things i've ever read here!

'Like comparing jazz with rock' Never heard of jazz rock?

The jazz reference might not be too far off the mark... After listening to this album I thought "Mmm! This is kind of what free jazz musicians do when they play."
It seems like an electronic (mostly) flow of consciousness which gets stuck together in a kind of free form way, and (sticking with the free jazz metaphor) requires understanding the performance in a kind of non linear context... it has a definite form, even though at first it seems abstract. It's kind of dadaist electronic (mostly) noodling or DEN!
Yeah! It's kind of like jazz!

i like some jazz stuff, this doesnt sound jazz to me...it has a more cut/copy/paste feel...

deathwish wrote:I never listened to this guy but from what I've heard of this album, it's just bunch of non-hooky nonsense. Not danceable in the least bit and that's what people look for in electronic music otherwise it's just boring.
This is the reason why Coldcut's publishing company is called "Just isn't music" :lol:

When they started out in the 80's and tried to get their music signed, they were constantly told: Sorry, but this just isn't music

Kriminal wrote:i like some jazz stuff, this doesnt sound jazz to me...it has a more cut/copy/paste feel...
I wasn't actually saying that it sounded like jazz just that it had a certain conceptual affinity to free jazz and dada...

kelvyn wrote:
Kriminal wrote:i like some jazz stuff, this doesnt sound jazz to me...it has a more cut/copy/paste feel...
I wasn't actually saying that it sounded like jazz just that it had a certain conceptual affinity to free jazz and dada...
Yes, i know what you meant. To me if feels much more contrived and not free flowing at all.

spaceman wrote:
Kriminal wrote:I gave it a few listens, and can honestly say, its the worst vinyl buy this year. A couple of tracks are 'ok' but it really didnt grow on me. I have to revert to my original thought.

Drivel
That's where I am still. Circlont6a[somecrapbetweenbrackets] jumped out a bit, but the rest is growing on me as much as grass grows on the outside of the international space station.

I'll keep listening to give it a chance.
I like the following review of the record. I don't agree with everything that he says about specific tracks, but, for me, he pretty much gets the general vibe. I actually like the piano track at the end, especially played through my midrangey TV speakers. I'd listen to that along with selected ambient works. I also think that the wonkiness of produk 29, that it's trying to sound like "futuristic elevator music", also works, after a fashion, but I'm not sure that it will grow on me in a positive way. In a sense, the album reminds me of the Orb's Pomme Fritz, strange in places, some bits are earworms, but ultimately, not satisfying enough to drive regular listening. Back then it just meant that I tossed the CD into the "B" case, these days it means that I won't bother buying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7-5Ct4eQho

I think it's just an odd lovely happy messy but sometimes very slick thing that sounds like a very focused non-competitive human being who has been put on a pedestal getting their kicks doing something they really love and is totally thrilled that others may get something out of it too. Not the most pleasurable hour of listening for some, i mean how will some cope with not being able to dance to it, the poor things, but IMO I think it's a piece of work made by an artist that has helped shaped modern music in a very dynamic way, bringing hope to anyone who has a desire to create the sounds in their head and therefore it's worth a listen, at least. 20/10.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”