Aphex Twin - Syro

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

late to this thread... but ya, this was a 'meh' release. which as a long-time aphex fan amounts to being a big disappointment.
also wasn't happy with him publishing the gearlist like that, nice trolling Richard! what were once some slept-on treasures now get the ole value-inflation-by-endorsement effect.

'danceable' was mentioned earlier in the thread... Aphex Twin stuff has never really been about dance (you can if you want of course), he has other monikers for his dance orientated stuff. btw I've been to some Aphex Twin gigs and it's funny to see a handful of bell-ends slip a few discs trying to dance to the insane racket he plays, while the vast majority simply stand and listen with slack jaws. Or, at least, that's the kind of material he played at those gigs - under the Aphex Twin moniker.

back to Syro though... it's funny because that huge cache of unreleased tracks, demos and works-in-process that he dumped on soundcloud a few months ago contained far 'superior' gems than what was in Syro (not talking about the modular trax stuff). Then again I recall he said in some of the media appearances around the time of the Syro release that it was made up of stuff he wanted to release to 'put a line under it'. I dunno, makes me wonder if he was just trying to fulfill some contractual obligations with Warp or something and gave them the dregs of his tune folder... but then again I'm under the impression that he's happy enough with Warp as they're a huge publishing machine.

what really drilled the disappointment home was listening to other music released around the same time, delivering the same 'flavour'... just much 'better' imo.

anyway, still a big fan of course. but this release doesn't get much play in my gaff.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”