One-Synth-Challenge #67: Digits by Extent of the Jam (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

J.Ruegg wrote:Today have passed exactly 365 days , from the day I have discovered the OSC :love: .
That day has changed my life...
Happy OSC-Day J :party: :hug: :tu: :clap: :phones: :party:

z.prime wrote:
IrregularDan wrote:Well, when I'm trying to create a kick patch, something random happens with the sound when I play the pattern. Sound becomes louder or more quiet from kick to kick. Is it a FL Studio problem or a synth?
This is a typical problem with OSC synths - like there's something free-running under the hood and the kick is not consistent. Try to eliminate any free-running oscillators if you can. Unfortunately, we have to deal with this limitation - e.g. the no sampling rule. :)

And yes, as bjp says, try to throw a limiter on top and boost into it to get a more consistent level.
Z I think that it was you that suggested Limiter No. 6? Probably the best single plugin out there for nailing your kicks down.

H-man wrote:
J.Ruegg wrote:Today have passed exactly 365 days , from the day I have discovered the OSC :love: .
That day has changed my life...
Happy OSC-Day J :party: :hug: :tu: :clap: :phones: :party:
Indeed Happy OSC-Day!! :harp: :harp: :party: :party: :party:

H-man wrote:
z.prime wrote:
IrregularDan wrote:Well, when I'm trying to create a kick patch, something random happens with the sound when I play the pattern. Sound becomes louder or more quiet from kick to kick. Is it a FL Studio problem or a synth?
This is a typical problem with OSC synths - like there's something free-running under the hood and the kick is not consistent. Try to eliminate any free-running oscillators if you can. Unfortunately, we have to deal with this limitation - e.g. the no sampling rule. :)

And yes, as bjp says, try to throw a limiter on top and boost into it to get a more consistent level.
Z I think that it was you that suggested Limiter No. 6? Probably the best single plugin out there for nailing your kicks down.
Yep, Limiter 6 is one of the best, definitely. Definitely works magic on a kick & snare. :)

z.prime wrote: Yep, Limiter 6 is one of the best, definitely. Definitely works magic on a kick & snare. :)
Bahhh i better get in the Limiter 6 club. Took a look at it and it was so many knobs, but will have another look soon!

This looks very interesting -- and there is a Mac version, so I'm looking forward to getting back into the mix this month!

Super!!! A challenge with possibilities for us Mac users. :)
One thing: I noticed the last entry date was set "before 1 September".. I take it that's just a typo, and it should read "before 1 October"?
/Peter
Changing handle to Subject36..

Ah - Bonkers!!
Cannot get this plugin to work on my Mac anyhow. AU-validation failed.. Will try some other DAW that supports VST instead of Logic..

Reaper gets it done. Now it works (with the VSTi version). Sorry for spamming. :oops:

bjporter wrote:
z.prime wrote: Yep, Limiter 6 is one of the best, definitely. Definitely works magic on a kick & snare. :)
Bahhh i better get in the Limiter 6 club. Took a look at it and it was so many knobs, but will have another look soon!
It has a bunch of sections: compressor, peak limiter, master limiter, others... i pretty much just use those first 3, so can ignore a couple other sections I think. Really pretty easy, once you get used to it.

bjporter wrote:
That happens a lot of times with pure synth percussion. Maybe someone else has a better patch - did you try the kick patches on page 1?

One of my tricks is to drive the volume really loud, then throw into a limiter - which should keep a more steady volume.
Thank you for the advice, but I prefer to make patches from scratch. :ud: I have come to solid kick patch (I don't even now how, I made another one with same settings, and it was with random sounding, maybe waves were different, idk)

When a synthesized kick varies at each beat, I compress and maximize it to death and use a separate patch to get my attack back. Then those two or three patches get compressed and eq'ed again through a group channel. The only thing to be aware of is that the patches don't enter the groupchannel at a level that is to high, so I adjust the inputvolume on the groupchannel.

Hey everyone, was hoping someone could help me with an issue I was having with this synth.

I have a sustain pedal that seems to be functioning correctly (the midi log in Reaper's ReaControlMidi shows the pedal is outputting 127 (on) when depressed and 0 (off) for when not depressed).
However, when I try to use it with Digits, the synth doesn't seem to respond to my sustain pedal. Is this synth not configured to accept a MIDI msg for sustain pedal on/off (cc:64)?
If so, is there a way I could setup Digits so it would accept a sustain pedal input?

Hope my question wasn't too confusing, I'm not very technical so not sure how to describe the issue better.

-Thanks everyone
-Tomas

Just had a little peek at this month's OSC. Gosh , a free synth available as AU !!
Digits, I dig It.

Cygnus86 wrote: Hope my question wasn't too confusing, I'm not very technical so not sure how to describe the issue better.

Arg wish I could help with this one - it's a good question. I'm sure some Reaper / Midi experts here can chime in

Return to “Instruments”