Overtone DSP releases RVB500 - Plate reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RVB500

I think if it were a theoretical brickwall filter, before or after would be the same.

However, depending on the filter slope and reverb time, there can be a noticeable difference.

I generally prefer pre-filtering, but sometimes post is less thin and has more "foundation."

EDIT: Try other types of EQ before and after, too: resonant HP, low shelf, etc.
Last edited by antithesist on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

wesleyt wrote:I put a HP before it. Why do you all think it's better after? Thanks!
Not necessarily better ... it may very well sound better with a filter before, depending on the source. Whichever works for you!

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

Cool, thanks all!

I figured there was no real rule. My thinking was cut what's going in (I think I used a Pro-Q -12 or -18 HPF) to slim the build-up, and any LF that comes out is incidental. Seemed more natural that way to me for the drum bus I was playing with.

I could see the other way with, say, a pad you wanted to closely control.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Sorry, but I've never even thought of that :oops:

Will try here shortly......

A really really quick test moving saton HP'ed at about 400 (which might be a little steep for some) yeilded nothing I can really hear difference wise. I'm not in the mood to plug in my guitar and try it right now (very push/drumrack/ED mooded currently) but will later.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Overtone, are you listening?
Give us the HPF!
It's easy if you know how

We'll have to go over to their site section.......I've resisted posting over there because I don't see the point in multiple threads, but........he doesn't even mention it over there so unless someone else wants to do the honors........

I'll let you do it :)
It's easy if you know how

I bought it. I'm a ho :hihi:

Yay! (about the buying part... you're on your own, otherwise)

I'll probably get it before the sale is over... that and some IK credits are at the top of the list.

Good to know people are liking the reverb, we're always working on product updates / improvements and new features, so it's good to get suggestions.

In answer to a few of the points in the thread so far:

The reverb isn't modelled on a specific unit, it's a plate reverb emulation, which we kind of tuned until we felt it sounded 'right' - not to get too scientific about it...

RVB500 - the 500 just refers to the fact that it's part of the series of plug-ins styled as 'lunch box' virtual 500-series modules - everyone seems to be crazy for hardware 500 series format modules - so why not follow the fashion with virtual 500 format plug-ins too? :) (and they don't take up too much screen space - though the VST3 versions can be resized to suit different resolutions etc)

HPF - this seems to be the most popular request - it certainly could be added on a future update - normally reverb is used on a buss, so different feeds to the reverb might be filtered according to their individual needs, rather than 'globally' by the reverb but it would do not harm to add an optional HPF.

Latency - the plugin reports no latency - it doesn't add any of its own, other than the pre-delay, but if we compensated for that it wouldn't be a delay...

Known issues - it has been noticed that the VST3 version can sometimes cut reverb tails in Cubase if cubase is set to suspend VST3 processing on slience. This doesn't appear to be an issue in other hosts, and can be worked around by unchecking the option to suspend VST3 processing in the cubase prefs. It shouldn't be an issue with the VST2 version, and we have a fix for it which we are testing at the moment and will release as a free update for existing users as soon as its done.

Glad you chimed in!

This is a great 'verb to have on the drum buss, and I demoed and bought the DYN4000 at the same time.
Both quality, and both bargains.

RVB500 V2.1.1 is now available - this bug-fix update addresses an issue with the VST3 plug-in which could silence or corrupt the output in some situations / host applications, and an unrelated problem which could sometimes cause reverb tails to become cut off in Cubase if the option to 'suspend VST3 processing when silent' was selected.
This is a free update for existing users, available for download from:
http://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/download/download_rvb500/

Boughtened.

Return to “Effects”