Open Source DSP based hardware synth

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ZenPunkHippy wrote:And FWIW, it reminds me of the misplaced consumer rage some people have against companies like Native Instruments / U-he / Camel Audio / etc. because they have a nice looking website and sell products that cost more than 100 bucks.
I can't help but think we've been troll free for two pages, top of page four please read. Ignore my idealism, I am wrong in thinking.

Misguided thoughts, I've apologised profusely on many different pages and posts, just seems like you're trolling this thread now. Especially after the two pages of decent progressive dialogue where an answer has been found for my problem. There's literally no reason for your post. Next time you post ask yourself "am I on topic"? I think I really have to spell this one out for you: "is my post about an open source synth, or how to build one"? If not then go talk road rage somewhere else.
whyterabbyt wrote:
b&t wrote:Actually hands down you are the absolute boss. Thank you so damn much. £63: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte ... ata-ii-3gb
Yeah, that's exactly where I found them. There might be other options out there, but that price point kinda screams out for a mention.
Keep your eye on the Intel NUC systems as well. A bit more expensive, but more compact still and running all the way up to modern i5 spec. Still cheaper than an iPad though.
You just made me so happy happy! Swear they've even got dev written subtly (or not so) in the title, D3V mini!! Brilliant, that is cheaper than those boards and just about ever damn thing you mentioned just really makes sense, standard I/O's and preexisting toolkits etc. FLIP you could run max or whatever. Best route thank you soooo much.
Glad it makes sense to you. Ive got no specific aversion to DSP routes, FWIW, I just think that because regular old 'consumer' systems get produced in such vast quantities that they compete incredibly well on price, they evolve (get more powerful) faster, and they also leverage the largest preexisting body of code and information around. I kinda think Arduinos have been so successful in their space for exactly the same reason...

Also consider the way its going with something like the new Roland System-1 and its Plug-out feature. You can run direct from the hardware via a plugin in your DAW, like some other existing hardware. But you can also run it as a plugin, entirely separately. And then you can 'send' it from the plugin to the hardware and take the hardware away.
That sort of thing's going to be possible for a lot more people to implement if both systems are running the same engine code on the same basic underlying platform.
No it makes so much sense, and the potential scope of the project is much larger if you have a whole computer. Seems a perfect way to do a mixed media art installation, with audio/video, and some sensors gathering data to allow audience participation/feedback. Great way to allow that and not be limited by a just a micro processor.

Plus if you look at that Neuron, it was running on a PC motherboard with 256kb of ram and gentoo linux! Also with a big ass PC exhaust fan too, so the PC based route for DSP has been done before even for commercial projects!! That D3V mini is a bonus as it's fanless as well, so really great choice.

And PC's are just all around easier to develop for, especially after stubbornly trying to use Xcode and obj C for the last year, it'll be breath of fresh air!

"compete incredibly well on price, they evolve (get more powerful) faster, and they also leverage the largest preexisting body of code and information around. "

Damn right about that about that £63, mind boggling! And I saw the one just below it, around £55 or something! It did go down to around £38: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-j180 ... i-mini-itx

But not sure if that's just a big ass heat sink or fan in the middle! Half looks like a microphone from the 60's!

A Military grade motherboard would probably be enough for any standalone glitch machine!

It does make me laugh that the answer to the question on building an open source synth has actually turned out to be "get a PC" :)

b&t wrote:It does make me laugh that the answer to the question on building an open source synth has actually turned out to be "get a PC" :)
Re the Virus sound on PC :

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=414605

b&t wrote:It does make me laugh that the answer to the question on building an open source synth has actually turned out to be "get a PC" :)
I think the issue is one of definition/goals?
Its unclear (to me at least) what you are trying to achieve (especially once we get rid of 'a virus for peanuts').

Theres alot of talk of hardware, but not what its solving... this is the wrong way around, problem first, solution second :)

remember DSPs, FPGA, PC's they are all programmable, come from different sources,
so what is less 'open source' about using a PC (unbranded parts) running Linux, C++ etc, than a DSP using their own SDK etc?

if the goal is small footprint, low power consumption, low heat dissipation etc, then thats one thing.
if its just smallish footprint, mains power, then thats another.

of course, if you just say I want to write a synth, then of course this can be done on anything from a DSP, arduino, <fill this space with N other options> , PC... without the other criteria you will just go in circles,
they will all work for different things.

you find it funny that we suggested taking the easiest/fastest route?
well, if you like it hard, i can suggest you make your own PCBs then, and your own chips, even transistors! don't take off-the-shelf parts, make everything yourself
grow your own crystals.. etc..

or just get an IDE, compiler, and start coding a plugin, hear it produce sound in a matter of minutes/hours

it's all up to you
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

thetechnobear wrote:
I think the issue is one of definition/goals?
Its unclear (to me at least) what you are trying to achieve (especially once we get rid of 'a virus for peanuts').

Theres alot of talk of hardware, but not what its solving... this is the wrong way around, problem first, solution second :)
So I reckon i should clear the goals/definition of the project up. And not talk about Voldemort.
remember DSPs, FPGA, PC's they are all programmable, come from different sources,
so what is less 'open source' about using a PC (unbranded parts) running Linux, C++ etc, than a DSP using their own SDK etc?

if the goal is small footprint, low power consumption, low heat dissipation etc, then thats one thing.
if its just smallish footprint, mains power, then thats another.

of course, if you just say I want to write a synth, then of course this can be done on anything from a DSP, arduino, <fill this space with N other options> , PC... without the other criteria you will just go in circles,
they will all work for different things
Ideally it would be something small that would run off 5v, small footprint.

Cheap to access in terms of pre made parts, and dev kits, think something along the lines of what if the Arduino had decent enough resolution for audio.

8bit chips give a certain sound, what would say a 32 bit ARM chip give us? They are available cheap and pretty reliable, a lot of the smart phones run off them. And also a main feature in some of the dev boards I've found.

So the idea is if your iphone can do some pretty decent stuff like DSP already, for instance we've got synths on the iphone, so they're doing real time DSP with what they've got. So why can't we use the same chips as an exploratory platform to enable the creation of embedded musical devices?

It's accessing the availability and abundance of these chips and repurposing them for embedded musical devices. In the lowest cost, lowest power consumption and easiest to use manner possible.

The idea for open source on all levels is the ability to redesign per needs, so if we used lets say an open source board like the arduino/raspi/insert x open board here... not only do others have quick access to experimentation, but others could build a clone on a breadboad if they so wish to.

So simplicity of design is quite key. Pre-fab boards are great to get in and get dirty, especially if it's already available and quite cheap.

Personally after doing quite a bit of research over the last few days, I think the Parallella platform could be the best solution. It's like a raspi on crack.

Someone mentioned Altera a few posts ago, they are very expensive entry points, and the same with Sharc/Freescale DSP route. Especially for hobbyists.

I'd like to explore if we can get to make a standalone *whatever* through a different route. That's an open and accessible entry into creating embedded music devices. Be it an instrument, an interface, effect or all three combined.

The Parallella is £90, ARM A9, 16core Epiphany co-processor, it's insane. This guy is way more than you actually need: http://shop.adapteva.com/collections/fe ... p-computer

and runs on 5v. I know that bad boy can handle some DSP.

antto wrote: grow your own crystals.. etc..
Don't Mind Trying :P

The Parallella looks ok but no onboard audio I/O - also 16 core DSP will be minimal use for audio.

UltraJv wrote:The Parallella looks ok but no onboard audio I/O - also 16 core DSP will be minimal use for audio.
ahh good looking out thanks, I was looking more at that $30 synth kit, and it is hands down the most amazing thing in the world, he's used this 32bit ARM tiny little processor, it's the most genius thing I've seen:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1336

The is like an 8pin dip, it's insane, it just didn't even know they existed. I would love to find out more about how the hell that dude got to where he got. It's a chip like for $12, I have no idea 32bit ARM, that's pretty decent right?

EDIT: This looks decent, £63 entry level into actual DSP: http://www.elektor.com/adau1701-univers ... -130232-71

Halfway page 2:
BertKoor wrote:Can be done smaller & cheaper ;-)
(but not totally open source)
Seems a simular chip as you just found, but it;s a kit ready with a VA synth on it.
[edit] seems I didn't totally understood what you wrote, you referred to the same thing. Amazing indeed...

But creativity has no limit. Nothing stops you from writing a Java ME app (MIDP / CLDC) for old Nokia s40 devices and repurpose them to become midi synths!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Here's something interesting. ;-)

http://www.returninfinity.com/baremetal.html
BareMetal is a 64-bit OS for x86-64 based computers. The OS is written entirely in Assembly, while applications can be written in Assembly or C/C++. Development of the Operating System is guided by its 3 target segments...

What happened to the 48-Core Single-Chip Intel released 5 years ago?

http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-Unvei ... r/#!bIKN7x

Forget about 48 cores, check out The Machine

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-servers.html

Tesla K40 has a Kepler GK110B chip containing 2880 cores.

:hyper:

With this sort of power I can compute a neural matrix for a nematode C. elegans. Total world domination.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

we bought a cheap 780 ti, it features 2880 cores too

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”