Dance of the Djinns (Imitone-based, frantic, polyrythmic experimentation)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This song primarily based on real-time Pitch-to-MIDI (Imitone) datas applied to a sequenced, stacked preset of LUSH-101 Synthesizer ("Double Slit Experiment")

The datas where the applied to many different sound sources, and modified consequently...Also some initial drum grooves where cut to fill a different signature, resulting very easily in complex and rather unpredictable polyrythmic phrases

This work is still in progress...

https://soundcloud.com/perbuatan1883/da ... the-djinns

...Needed to be said that the main interest is the use, as structural foundations of composed tunes, of arpegiated and sequenced phrases in alienated context of different time signatures , through this composition you very likely WON'T recognize :hihi: :

LuSH 101 : " Double Slit Experiment "
Zeta+2 : " Aliased String Quartet "
Monopoly : " Luminescent "
Gladiator : " TG Heavymetal "
Kontakt 5 : "Action Strings" (...this one is more obvious, though the decorrelation between arpeggiated accents of the preset and time signature gave me a excessively rewarding, polyrythmic result !)

I'm usually very reluctant in using unmodified factory presets, but in such an alienated context the game has drastically changed IMO

You're opinion are all welcome !!

P.S. off-topic ...you might appreciate as well my work as graphic artist with a snapshot of one of my artwork as illustration !
Last edited by Krakatau on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

To add a few relevant comments a good trick i've learned here is related to the inherent specification of an instrument or another
Using Imitone pitch-to-midi,( itself bounded to a chosen scale) works quite like working with a paintbrush and it's highly creative IMO, when slaving a complex, arpeggiated or sequence patch and shall give you unpredictable results (i'd say even some complex virtual brushes like the ones in Painter or Studio Artist, both Graphic Synthesizers)

Other useful and basically elaborates patches are for instance, steel-band or cimbalom pianoteq add ons using "mallet bounce" feature that ,based on the same resulting midi-file,might need a very view adjustment to give convincing results...

P.S. at least perhaps this topic might better have been post in the (yet unimproved, in the case) production techniques subforum ?

anyone ?

I like it :tu:

thanks a lot !

a bit laconic though... but rewarding !

What is the audio material that you sent through Imitone ?
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote:What is the audio material that you sent through Imitone ?
As described in my first post: in real-time i first made a part played by an arpeggiated preset of LuSH-101

Then the same part duplicated to other instrument, among them the fula flute (western afrika from KU9), also factory presets from Zeta+2 and Korg monopoly, two Pianoteq add ons (steel-band and cimbalom) and finally Action strings (KU9)

All with few adjustment, considering the need of realism of each chosen instruments (but not much, it stood a quite spontaneous at the current degree of elaboration)

It was also interesting, using a very simple trick, to elaborate an ambiguous rhythmic groove/signature (shifting sides between binary and complex) as background that blends very well with these spontaneous phrases based a primary imitone-made midi-file

Return to “Music Cafe”