Reason 8 - Official

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

+1

Though Im sure this will follow with many 'thats not the reason paradigm, blah blah blah' type of comments, any time I start using reason I just start longing to go back to live and wishing I had much better integration with reason. So many times I wish I could just drop a reason vst on a track and route audio in to it and then through gator or whatever other effect I want. Or just drop a thor on a track and use it. With rewire your hopping between programs and having to keep save files in sync, limited to single core usage, treating it like a piece of hardware when its just another piece of software on your box, etc etc etc.

I really wish they would just make a reason rack vst ala reaktor that allowed audio in/out midi in/out. I would start using it 100x more than I do today and actually be compelled to purchase RE's, as of now I have no yearning or want to really buy any RE because of 1) constantly changing and in need of an update sdk , 2) No resale, 3) Nothing that compelling compared to what I already have (maybe partly because of 1)

Even having a reason combinator vst would be badass, not even a full rack, actually a combinator would probably work a lot better :)

anyways all that aside. Maybe one of these days Ill fire up the beta, but from what Ive seen on the beta forums Im not that compelled to really try it as i have a feeling Im going to be greatly underwhelmed as most have been

Exactly!!

It's actually time, and many of you will hate this, but it's time Props give it up!

A Reason VST is the ultimate answer. And would sell more copies than their stand alone version. Am I saying Propellerheads have lost?

Yes. Mostly. Hell, they lost a long time ago but have too big of an ego to admit it. So what'd they do? Started a mini-smear campaign against VST and started their own plug-in format.

Which is a total joke.

But that's why they market their product to teenagers. If you think real studios look at that program and don't see a toy, you're wrong. Every single DAW out there has better editing. Literally every single one.

For every 100 people using Reason....

There's at LEAST 1000 people using a VST capable DAW. Like I said, they're a completely arrogant company.
Last edited by Mr. Fister on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sorry, double post

Wow. I wonder, sometimes, about this whole thing.

Look, did it ever occur to anyone who fights the fight for vst support that you end up sounding like a whiner?? Never mind the closed mindedness towards anything different.

I have Reason here as well as a number of other daws and rewire works fine for my needs.

The drive for vst support seems more like the cry...everything must be the same!! Whaaaaa!!!
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:Wow. I wonder, sometimes, about this whole thing.

Look, did it ever occur to anyone who fights the fight for vst support that you end up sounding like a whiner?? Never mind the closed mindedness towards anything different.

I have Reason here as well as a number of other daws and rewire works fine for my needs.

The drive for vst support seems more like the cry...everything must be the same!! Whaaaaa!!!
No, its far from being a matter of wanting everything the same. It's a matter of not wanting to get robbed from a company with ego problems.

And no one's whining. Experienced people are letting their opinions be known.

You shouldn't let it bother you.

Mr. Fister wrote:

No, its far from being a matter of wanting everything the same. It's a matter of not wanting to get robbed from a company with ego problems.

And you shouldn't let it bother you that others might have a different opinion about this matter either. 8)

You think Reason is ripping you off you should check Pro Tools sometimes. :wink:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Before I comment, let me say that I LOVE Reason.

Ok. Props, OTOH, is like Apple... without all the goods. They THINK they have the best thing since sliced DAW, but in reality are lagging. I do not want them to be another DAW in a line of DAWs. I get that. And I understand REs to some extent.

Where I get hung up are the lame upgrades that offer nothing other than some eye candy. There are some requests that go back five or six years and have never been addressed. I agree that EVERY DAW has this issue to some extent. But not every DAW is asking $130 for the current offering either.

8 feels like 7.2 (not even 7.5).

Jon

Mr. Fister wrote:

Troll:

you have 22 posts on this forum.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM are negative posts on one subject only: Propellerheads Reason

This disqualifies you from claiming any sort of neutrality. perhaps your opinions have some merit, but it doesn't matter. you haven't given any indication that you are anything other than a troll with a specific target. the only "experience" that you have, apparently, is in trolling propeller heads.

And for the record, I'm a Reason user contemplating selling my license due to this rip-off of an upgrade. but I'm not here bitching about it. Propellerheads have always done their own thing, when I was a fan, it was due to that fact. when I have raged, it was due to that fact. either way, though, I'm glad they exist.

ShawnG wrote:
Mr. Fister wrote:

Troll:

you have 22 posts on this forum.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM are negative posts on one subject only: Propellerheads Reason

This disqualifies you from claiming any sort of neutrality. perhaps your opinions have some merit, but it doesn't matter. you haven't given any indication that you are anything other than a troll with a specific target. the only "experience" that you have, apparently, is in trolling propeller heads.

And for the record, I'm a Reason user contemplating selling my license due to this rip-off of an upgrade. but I'm not here bitching about it. Propellerheads have always done their own thing, when I was a fan, it was due to that fact. when I have raged, it was due to that fact. either way, though, I'm glad they exist.
Typical.

You'd say troll just because my opinions don't line up with yours. I'm sorry if some of my posts have been REBUTTALS......

Read that again. Most all of my posts have been rebuttals. I don't start threads.

Not everyone is going to agree with you, and that doesn't make them trolls.

Also, Mr. Detective, I've posted well over 500 times here in years past. I just have a new account.

VST in Reason will not happen, despite what you think its demise may be in the future. People can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that Propellerhead's answer to getting VST in Reason is Rack Extensions.

I've quoted Tronam recently in the past before, but his opinion on this was made eloquently so I'll quote him again here:
Propellerhead is historically known for having very strong, independent ideas about software development, especially when it comes to design, workflow, stability and efficiency. Adopting VST would make them beholden to another company's plugin format and restricted by whatever Steinberg chooses to do or not do with it. PH instead prefer to develop their own technology so that they aren't bound by someone's else's development timeline. This affords them the freedom to create a plugin format that seamlessly meshes with Reason's design ethos including, among other things, the front/back panel rack metaphor, superior CV/audio routing flexibility, robust longterm backwards compatibility and tighter QA for more consistent stability.

Whether we all agree with it or not, this is their style and Rack Extensions make perfect sense from that point of view.
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/sho ... ost1438159
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:VST in Reason will not happen, despite what you think its demise may be in the future. People can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that Propellerhead's answer to getting VST in Reason is Rack Extensions.
That's adorable !

EnochLight wrote:VST in Reason will not happen, despite what you think its demise may be in the future. People can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that Propellerhead's answer to getting VST in Reason is Rack Extensions.

I've quoted Tronam recently in the past before, but his opinion on this was made eloquently so I'll quote him again here:
Propellerhead is historically known for having very strong, independent ideas about software development, especially when it comes to design, workflow, stability and efficiency. Adopting VST would make them beholden to another company's plugin format and restricted by whatever Steinberg chooses to do or not do with it. PH instead prefer to develop their own technology so that they aren't bound by someone's else's development timeline. This affords them the freedom to create a plugin format that seamlessly meshes with Reason's design ethos including, among other things, the front/back panel rack metaphor, superior CV/audio routing flexibility, robust longterm backwards compatibility and tighter QA for more consistent stability.

Whether we all agree with it or not, this is their style and Rack Extensions make perfect sense from that point of view.
All this makes sense, but then, Propellerheads have to acknowledge that, since RE are only available for Reason, therefore, limited in their utility, and that even users that already have the very same product for other platforms (like Uhbik, for example) are not eligible to get an RE for free (which is not the case with any other platform specific format, like AAX, for example), they have to price REs accordingly, not treating them like regular plug-ins that we can use everywhere.

If they do that, I can see a future in Reason as a DAW, provided they improve the support of sequencing (especially MIDI), since REs give, in fact, much more extended functionality. But Reason aiming to be a DAW without REs will fall very short, and telling users they will have to buy again everything they have already is unthinkable.
Last edited by fmr on Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

KarmaShaman wrote: That's adorable !
I expect a 30%-40% cut for use of that patented response. :hihi:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Phew, lucky it isn't SDK2, or you would be demanding 50% !

So who's got a discount code from the NY fair ? Me wants cheapo Polar.

You know what would be cool ? If you could drop WAV's directly into OctoRex slots, and have them convert to REX format.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”