Which Arturia VSTi is still worth to get?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:
HydrogenHuman wrote:I own the V-Collection Version 3, and I wanted to point out that any reviews you read about the CS-80V, Prophet-V, Moog Modular you have to take with a grain of salt.

The reason why I say that is because some of those reviews are in regards to the original 1.0 versions of the "V" instruments.

Arturia updated almost all of their V collection to Version 2.0 several years ago, and then updated most of them to 2.5 with there "TAE" technology.

The "TAE" is just Arturia's method of modelling analog circuitry.
They have been using "TAE" since version 1, it wasn't part of the updates. The improvements like soundmap though are very useful - I would love to see that used in other synths, it's very powerful and innovative.
My mistake then.

I do know they improved the oscillators and filters in Version 2 and beyond.

aMUSEd wrote: They have been using "TAE" since version 1, it wasn't part of the updates. The improvements like soundmap though are very useful - I would love to see that used in other synths, it's very powerful and innovative.
Are you claiming that if you have an older version of one of their synths, then any updates you install do NOT update the TAE version? That makes absolutely no sense. I'll look into it, but I don't believe it. :?

In other words, only a newly purchased V-series synth has the updated TAE? No way. :\

I still like the CS-80.

There are not so many options for the CS-80 and this one does a reasonable job.

Also a bit lighter then the 300LB hardware. :)

artao wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: They have been using "TAE" since version 1, it wasn't part of the updates. The improvements like soundmap though are very useful - I would love to see that used in other synths, it's very powerful and innovative.
Are you claiming that if you have an older version of one of their synths, then any updates you install do NOT update the TAE version? That makes absolutely no sense. I'll look into it, but I don't believe it. :?

In other words, only a newly purchased V-series synth has the updated TAE? No way. :\
I'm pretty sure you've completely misunderstood what aMUSEd was saying.

jsp1979 wrote:
artao wrote:

Yep, fact is that TAE causes Arturia as a company years ago. After they got it working they founded Arturia so TAE was there since 1.0 version.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

naaah... they were here already before the TAE thingy...
remember storm??
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

HydrogenHuman wrote:
Not for the most part. CS-80 V2 had some changes to the filter and ring mod I think. I don't think any of the others had any changes to the sound at V2. Minimoog was older and I think had some improvements at 1.5 which was before most of the others.

And yes TAE is the term they used from V1 of all of them. I had the manuals.

Chopper wrote:naaah... they were here already before the TAE thingy...
remember storm??
Thats true, i mean as VST instrument developers only. They discontinued Storm very fast because TAE was groundbreaking back then.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

hrmmmm... as much as i love their real analogue stuff ( the microbrute loves my modular equipment, and is good for the price on its own...), their plugins never had anything convincing, as far as I am concerned... weak OSCs, and so on.... crappy filters too... as for Storm, well, Reason and other DAWs seemed more groundbreaking when they came out... it's not that storm was bad, it's just that a few new tools were more ergonomic, and took over as the crowd's favourite....

I wish they would be better at what they do... I really wish!!! when you advertise your company for years as the leader in analogue emulation, you should at list release products that are nearly up there with the sound/characteristics of the original. sadly, this is not the case... TAL got his stuff in a level of realism that Arturia can only dream of. let's not talk about U-HE... there is enough Diva fanboys here. but you get my point..
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

jsp1979 wrote:
artao wrote:

Yep

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
HydrogenHuman wrote:
Not for the most part. CS-80 V2 had some changes to the filter and ring mod I think. I don't think any of the others had any changes to the sound at V2. Minimoog was older and I think had some improvements at 1.5 which was before most of the others.

And yes TAE is the term they used from V1 of all of them. I had the manuals.
The Moog Modular got some very nice new modules at v2 though

I'm thinking about getting the Prophet V and maybe the SEM V or Mini V...those are the only ones I'm interested in because I want to be able to learn the synths and come up with my own patches instead of just using presets. The GUIs on those seem navigable and something I can learn

Some of the others in V collection sound good but I don't want to work with really tiny screens or virtual patch cables. Plus I already have the Spark with the VDM patches so I don't need a separate VDM app.

I'm a bit on the fence because I'm not overly fond of eLicenser, I had to get a new license for Analog Lab when I reinstalled my operating system and although that went smoothly I'm thinking I really should spend another $25 on the dongle if I'm going to buy some of their soft synths, that way it's not tied to a specific install. But then that adds another $25 expense and eats up a USB port so I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

I do love Arturia's hardware, I have MiniLab, SparkLE, and Beatstep. Prophet V sounds good and got endorsed by Trent Reznor who is one of my musical inspirations.
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Just get Poly-Ana instead. It's like all the Arturia synths wrapped into one with a better sound. And I think it's on sale during the current beta period.
Poly-Ana sounds good but that GUI is an eyesore! :o
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

Sound on Sound have reviewed practically all of the synths over the years, heres a lini to all the articles.

http://www.soundonsound.com/search?url= ... esults=yes
Amazon: why not use an alternative

SoundGoddess wrote:I'm thinking about getting the Prophet V and maybe the SEM V or Mini V...
SEM V. One of the best sounding softsynths available from anywhere.......totally my own opinion of course though.

Anyone else install Analog Lab and find all the prophet and mini presets silent?

Return to “Instruments”