Which Arturia VSTi is still worth to get?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cool, thanks.

That would have been quite disappointing, if that wasn't possible.

So a little post-mortem advice request: I got the V Collection and I've got a few observations and questions to share. This is all on a PC W7-64 install.

- For one thing, the install was a little messy; not all dll's ended up where they were supposed to but a little detective work and some file shuffling got that sorted out.

- Most synths are within the latest point releases except for the SEM which is verison 1.1.7. Its latest is 1.2: with a V-Collection license, can I just use the separate SEM 1.2 installer to update? For that matter is that true for all synths in the V-Collection or do you wait for a new V-Collection updater? This the current list:

Synth / V-Collection version / Single version
  • ARP 2600 : 2.5.3 / 2.5.3
    CS-80 : 2.5.3 / 2.5.4
    Jupiter-8 : 2.5.3 / 2.5.5
    Mini : 2.5.4 / 2.5.5
    Modular : 2.6.3 / 2.6.3
    SEM : 1.1.7 / 1.2
    Prophet : 2.5.3 / 2.5.3
    Wurlitzer : 1.0.6 / 1.0.6
    Spark Vintage : 1.7 / 1.7.2
- Even though installation was on W7-64, all standalones are 32-bit. Is this normal?

- All Arturia VSTi's take about 10 seconds to instantiate. And when hosts first scan the Arturia dlls, it can take up to 20 seconds per dll for the scan. These long times are unusual.

- I opted for elicenser's computer-based registration instead of key registration; could this be the reason for the long instantiation and first-scans?

Overall I have to agree that apart from the SEM, the Prophet and Spark, the single-pixel graphics of the other VIs are really tiny on today's higher res screens. The Modular V and CS-80 are real problems in this department. The CS-80 could just be bigger, but the Modular would also need a serious graphic reconfiguration too, like docking windows or at least a more horizontal spread.

Breeze wrote: Overall I have to agree that apart from the SEM, the Prophet and Spark, the single-pixel graphics of the other VIs are really tiny on today's higher res screens. The Modular V and CS-80 are real problems in this department. The CS-80 could just be bigger, but the Modular would also need a serious graphic reconfiguration too, like docking windows or at least a more horizontal spread.
This is why I'm thinking of buying just the SEM and/or Prophet instead of the entire v-collection...I already have Analog Lab and Spark2...so I might as well save $100 since I probably wouldn't ever create my own presets with the other synths, and if I'm not creating my own presets I'd rather save the money for other things.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

Breeze wrote:- Most synths are within the latest point releases except for the SEM which is verison 1.1.7. Its latest is 1.2: with a V-Collection license, can I just use the separate SEM 1.2 installer to update? For that matter is that true for all synths in the V-Collection or do you wait for a new V-Collection updater?
I just bought SEM V and located the 1.2 installer here:
http://www.arturia.com/downloads/obsemv ... mv_1.2.exe
~ good luck ~

SoundGoddess wrote:I just bought SEM V and located the 1.2 installer here:
http://www.arturia.com/downloads/obsemv ... mv_1.2.exe
Thanks, but this and every other download for the SEM always says "1.1.7" when you launch it.

If you click on the Oberheim logo on the SEM, what version and date do you see? Mine says:

Oberheim SEM V version 1.1.7 build 37932...
Build date June 12, 2013...

... for both 32 and 64-bit versions.

Breeze wrote: Thanks, but this and every other download for the SEM always says "1.1.7" when you launch it.
It does erroneously say 1.1.7 on the installer but if you actually install it you'll find it's 1.2 build 38212 September 17, 2013.
~ good luck ~

SoundGoddess wrote:It does erroneously say 1.1.7 on the installer but if you actually install it you'll find it's 1.2 build 38212 September 17, 2013.
Hah! You are a Goddess! Thanks for following up and pointing that out. Appreciated!

BTW, for the record, it appears to be registered so updates from single installers seems to work.

Breeze wrote:
SoundGoddess wrote:It does erroneously say 1.1.7 on the installer but if you actually install it you'll find it's 1.2 build 38212 September 17, 2013.
Hah! You are a Goddess! Thanks for following up and pointing that out. Appreciated!
Glad I could help! :D

If you're interested, I found some good tutorials here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... GL6CDz9aQs

I'm going thru them myself today, SEM V seems like a great synth to get started with for sound design and I'm glad I got it while it's still on sale. Still on the fence for Prophet V, I really like it but I'm not sure if I can fit that into my music budget this month.
~ good luck ~

Last day of the sale today :wink:

Return to “Instruments”