Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

mschnell-

the programmer says those will be coming in version 8.02, if I remember correctly.

I see :(

-Michael

mschnell wrote:Yep it's windows.

I put it here: http://www.schnellphoto.de/syx.exe

It's a very simple program: no installation.

You just put the exe where the syx files are and start it (doubleclick). Press the start button to start :)

BTW I plan to enhance the program so that you can move single patches to a target cartridge.

-Michael
Thank you for the program, Michael! It's very handy :) .
I saved output as a .txt, opened it with Excel and sorted by cartridge.

Slava

mschnell wrote:I see :(
BTW.: I found some syx files with some patches with some or all operators being mute for a reason I can't see in DEXED's gui. Are there some hidden parameters ?

-Michael

sfiks wrote:I saved output as a .txt, opened it with Excel and sorted by cartridge.
Nice. :)
I supposed sorting by patch name would be mist appropriate. So you can compare multiple patches with similar purpose.

I could easily add a display-sort select option.

-Michael

mschnell wrote:I did a PC program that lists all patches in a directory full of cartridge files, sorts them, deletes duplicates (data, not names), renames duplicate names and shows them in a way that you can copy / paste it.
Thanks! This tool is really handy for finding back in which .syx file certain presets are stored as long as you remember the preset name or a part of it.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Breakpoint Values do not correspond to DX7 parameters. Why?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

asb2m10 wrote:Yes, I'm still working (here and there) on the next version.

Meanwhile, people with AU host can use this build : http://le-son666.com/software/dexed/dex ... u_test.zip
Thanks.

Requesting a real time mirror mode where every parameter change on Dexed is auto-transmitted to the DX7 (including Dexed patch browsing).

Also a toggle Dexed/DX7 playback switch on the GUI muting the MIDI output to either.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

provoc wrote:Hi There,

Not sure if this is a bug in 0.8.0 (since I don’t have access to a hardware DX7 to compare) but thought it was worth reporting. I have been reading through the Chowning book and working on some of the examples and on page 133 he mentions algorithm 32 which has operator six acting as a carrier which is fedback into itself. According to the book a feedback value of 7 should produce a saw wave however on dexed this produces mostly (white) noise with audible traces of the fundamental. That said a feedback value of 5 gives a reasonable approximation of a saw.

Anyway, am looking forward to the next version of Dexed being with aftertouch etc. since Dexed has some interesting features that are not available in the other FM synths I have access to (mostly freebies/magware and z3ta+).

DAW Reaper x32 4.77, OS Windows 8.1 x64

Regards,

provoc
Checked it with my DX7ii, and OP6 indeed produces a saw wave (or near enough) in Algo 32 with FBL 7. The white noise approximation the DX gets is by using the feedback Op as a modulator with feedback set at max and an output value in the 90s (near max).

I'll check it again and see about posting some audio comparisons.
Still stoked to see this one eventually hit the near 1:1 mark! :hyper:

Update of the patch handling software -> http://www.schnellphoto.de/syx.exe

You now can sort according to the cartridge file name.

-Michael

Hi!

Anyone know if there is any difference between these two versions of dexed?

dexed-0.8.1-au_test.zip 2.6 MB 11 Jan 2015 05:06
dexed-0.8.OSC-osx.zip 5.2 MB 09 Apr 2015 06:04

-Fred

Thanks Michael for this Software !
It´s a real timesaver !
My Recording Studio http://www.echopark.at

bstageboss wrote:
provoc wrote:Hi There,

Not sure if this is a bug in 0.8.0 (since I don’t have access to a hardware DX7 to compare) but thought it was worth reporting. I have been reading through the Chowning book and working on some of the examples and on page 133 he mentions algorithm 32 which has operator six acting as a carrier which is fedback into itself. According to the book a feedback value of 7 should produce a saw wave however on dexed this produces mostly (white) noise with audible traces of the fundamental. That said a feedback value of 5 gives a reasonable approximation of a saw.

Anyway, am looking forward to the next version of Dexed being with aftertouch etc. since Dexed has some interesting features that are not available in the other FM synths I have access to (mostly freebies/magware and z3ta+).

DAW Reaper x32 4.77, OS Windows 8.1 x64

Regards,

provoc
Checked it with my DX7ii, and OP6 indeed produces a saw wave (or near enough) in Algo 32 with FBL 7. The white noise approximation the DX gets is by using the feedback Op as a modulator with feedback set at max and an output value in the 90s (near max).

I'll check it again and see about posting some audio comparisons.
Still stoked to see this one eventually hit the near 1:1 mark! :hyper:
Thanks for checking! It am not sure if this will particularly important in practice but given that modulators can have a significant impact on carriers even with small changes, I imagine that patches designed for the original DX using higher levels of feedback could end up sounding different on DEXED?

Hi all,

I'm using Dexed on a Mac 10.8. and it works fine with "Ugly VST Interface" and Apple's own "AU Lab". Thanks for the amazing work!

I have a few questions:

1) Out of curiosity: is Dexed and hexter (http://dssi.sourceforge.net/hexter.html) somewhat related to each other?

2) Fine Frequency: The display goes up to 2.98, although soundwise it goes up only until 1.99 (as does the DX7). That's quite irritating, because it displays the frequency wrong.

3) This might be a stupid one: how do I disable an operator (like on the DX7)?

4) Is there a master tuning function (like on the DX7)?

5) The original DX7 had a curious thing in that it would not always stop all sounds when changing between programs. One would most likely call it a bug, however, some people used the very curious sounds that were coming out of the machine because they _were_ just very curious. I realize that this amounts very much to the point where one might want to decide if that's something useful to have, but if Dexed is really supposed to be "the same" machine it should have an option for this. I, for one, really would need it and have to mimick it with FM8's morph function. But it's not working very well, I'm afraid.

Some more remarks:
- File information on Dexed.vst shows its version 1.0 (instead of 0.8, I suppose)
- Rates and Levels: I can't set them to 59. It always jumps from 58 to 60 and back.

Yes, sorry, long post. Dexed is a great project and I would love to see it coming full on!

All the best
Sebastian

Return to “Instruments”