Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

BTW.:

I did a PC program that lists all patches in a directory full of cartridge files, sorts them, deletes duplicates (data, not names), renames duplicate names and shows them in a way that you can copy / paste it.

If anybody wants to have it, please let me know.

Sampel-output (in brackets ptach no and file name):

searching i:\DELPHI\syx...
601 Files Found
reading 601 files ....
601 Files read
19232 Sounds found
deleting Dublicates ....
deleted: 8320 / 19232
remaining: 10912
Sorting
Sorted
renaming ...
renamed: 1479
0: (27 bass_14 )
1: a (28 bass_14 )
2: b (26 Bells )
3: c (21 harpsi_2 )
4: d (30 Mallets2 )
5: e (09 Mallets2 )
6: f (06 Mallets2 )
7: g (24 Mallets2 )
8: h (03 Mallets2 )
9: i (27 Mallets2 )
10: j (21 Mallets2 )
11: k (12 Mallets2 )
12: l (15 Mallets2 )
13: m (18 Mallets2 )
14: TAP (24 Ethnic )
15: VERA (04 Plucked )
16: WORRY (24 spangler )
17: MONO M (10 Weird1 )
18: MONO Z (11 Weird1 )
19: MONO-1 (12 Weird1 )
20: MONO-2 (13 Weird1 )
21: PIC 2 (01 Steph4 )
22: SPOOKY (05 effects3 )
23: ECHO (06 SynprezFM_28 )
24: KOTO XX (05 Plucked )

10904: »AMBA TRIO (16 Ortega5 )
10905: »ARM PAD»1 (16 Ray-20 )
10906: »AUSIMON A (14 effects7 )
10907: »HRISTMA» (23 Ortega8 )
10908: »IND ENS 2 (23 Ortega19 )
10909: »I»ESTE»H» (21 Solange0 )
10910: »OOG - 1» (16 Ortega3 )
10911: »T Bend> 1 (24 Ortega12 )
Last edited by mschnell on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dexed is by far my favorite Software FM synth. But I don't think it responds to aftertouch? If it does, how do I set it up?

Very important feature request otherwise.

mschnell wrote:BTW.:
I did a PC program that lists all patches in a directory full of cartridge files, sorts them deletes duplicates (data, not names), renames duplicate names and shows them in a way that you can copy / paste it.
If anybody wants to have it, please let me know.
As long as it is for Windows, me want! :)
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

Yep it's windows.

I put it here: http://www.schnellphoto.de/syx.exe

It's a very simple program: no installation.

You just put the exe where the syx files are and start it (doubleclick). Press the start button to start :)

BTW I plan to enhance the program so that you can move single patches to a target cartridge.

-Michael

<gulp>

....i was hoping in a bit more of interaction :) At least a resume of what it want to do and a question to abort/continue BEFORE actually DOING it.
Anyway, seems to work.
I wish you could have time to build a "patch mover" (moving single sounds from one side to another and (re)create the new, sorted syx file. (As a programmer myself,i know what ut requires, that's why i "hope" and don't "ask" ;) ).

What are the numbers after the patch names?

Good job :)
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

As the program does not write anyting on the disk you can do a hard abort at any time :D .

The output is

<enumerator>: <patch name> ( <patch number within syx-file aka "cartridge"> <syx file name> )

If there are multiple identical patch names they are renamed by modifying the last character to "a", "b", "c", ...

Currently, that name is not written back to the file (should it ? ). It will be used for the move action (when implemented).

I hole today I can add some kind of move feature...

-Michael

I had the oportunity of testing this synth today. Congrats, I never had a DX7 but in all the vst's I tried there were problems and the usual FM patches you find on the web never sounded correct, but it looks like Dexed sounds so well :D

I understand basic FM (sytrus for the most part) and this will make another synth to my arsenal and the possibility of making sounds for the good old Dx7 but without the hardware :D

Cheers.

Updated: http://www.schnellphoto.de/syx.exe

I updated the program and now it shows up to four "target cartridges".

You need to provide these cartridges as *.syx files named Dexed_Cart_1.syx, Dexed_Cart_2.syx, ...

You can simply copy an existing cartridge syx file to such a file name.

The program shows zero, one, two, three or four of them, as many as it finds

Theses syx files are not included in the list of patches shown in the list at the left side of the program but handles separately.

Each of the target cartridges is shown as a dual list of 32 patch names.

The right name is the one that is found at the cartridge. It should not be changed by the user with the current version of the program unless it's empty.

The left name field is empty and can accept any patch name that appears in the list at the left site (use copy/paste). When writing to that field, the filed right of same is cleared.

You can write a new name for the patch to be copied in the empty right name field. Same will be used on the target cartridge. If the right field is empty the (semi-) original left name is used when copying.

When you press the "copy" button, the patches that are to be handled are moved into the target cartridge file(s). (Log and error message at the bottom of the list on the left.) After that, the target cartridge files are read again, so that you can continue the process without re-reading all the "source" cartridge files.

(To rename or re-order files on a cartage you need to copy the appropriate files to a dedicated target cartridge file, copy the patches, and rename the target file afterwards.)

Have fun !

-Michael

Hi There,

Not sure if this is a bug in 0.8.0 (since I don’t have access to a hardware DX7 to compare) but thought it was worth reporting. I have been reading through the Chowning book and working on some of the examples and on page 133 he mentions algorithm 32 which has operator six acting as a carrier which is fedback into itself. According to the book a feedback value of 7 should produce a saw wave however on dexed this produces mostly (white) noise with audible traces of the fundamental. That said a feedback value of 5 gives a reasonable approximation of a saw.

Anyway, am looking forward to the next version of Dexed being with aftertouch etc. since Dexed has some interesting features that are not available in the other FM synths I have access to (mostly freebies/magware and z3ta+).

DAW Reaper x32 4.77, OS Windows 8.1 x64

Regards,

provoc

Is DEXED still on development ? last update was last year and still no au version.

dupont wrote:Is DEXED still on development ? last update was last year and still no au version.
+1

Looking for the AU is the main reason I check this thread when new posts are made.

Yes, I'm still working (here and there) on the next version.

Meanwhile, people with AU host can use this build : http://le-son666.com/software/dexed/dex ... u_test.zip

Is it just stupid me ? I don't find the parameters allowing to use midi CC messages (such as Expression foot paddle or Breath controller) to modify the volume of an operator (I remember that I did this with the DX7 and TX216).

-Michael

Thanks for the AU version! I'm now using DEXED successfully in Logix Pro X.

In addition to working through the original DX7 manual PDF, I went through this DX7 video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r8WfV8qpXM

I followed along using DEXED and finally understand the DX7 after first experiencing it so many years ago. I feel like I've reached a serious milestone in my life but my family seems absolutely unimpressed. :/

Thanks for the AU version, asb2m10! Also using it in LPX. Seems to be working well. I crashed the host when I (stupidly) tried to load a zipped cart via LOAD. My fault.
Last edited by nominil on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”