Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

This is getting better :tu: Thank you for the update and fixes. I hope the AMS issue will be fixed in the future updates. :D

I just tried this, and have to say I'm really seriously impressed.. it sounds great!

Thank you asb2m10!

PAK wrote:I just tried this, and have to say I'm really seriously impressed.. it sounds great!
Thank you asb2m10!
If you scroll through the pages of this thread, you will also find some links to DX7 sysex patches, also keep visiting here, BlackWinny is creating an ultimate zip of DX7 sounds :hyper: :tu:
Dexed is a true candidate for free vst of the year (up there with OBXD) :D
:tu: All is good

Now that I am messing more and more with DeXed, I found a detail that can make a huge difference. Last Saturday, I lost an entire afternoon of editing because of a newbie mistake - I decided to load a new bank to compare sounds, and forgot I didn't save the bank I was working on :oops:

I was very frustrated, as you can imagine, and I thought to myself: Why didn't I get a message warning me the bank had changes not saved? This is kind of standard behaviour in any piece of software, and it would be great to have that.

BTW: Did I already say THANKS? :)
Last edited by fmr on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

asb2m10 wrote:
electro wrote:Dexed has only 32 .fxp preset slots. Can that be expanded to the .fxp limit (128 I believe)?
Humm... no, it will break to compatibility with the real DX7. Once the cartridge manager is done, it will be very easy to switch individual programs between the large banks of cartridges; so that need won't be "that" necessary. We will 'think about it' once we get there.
The first 32 presets will still get overwritten upon DX7.syx import. The extra presets #37 through #127 will remain unchanged without breaking anything.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I noticed that theres a lot of folks wanting the gui to look good, but really if this is an emulation, things such as realtime parameter modification with a slider, and the AMS function should be a few tiers above in priority.

as long as you're emulating, why not adhere to the original? Image

getting crazy with a gui is great and everything, but i am rooting for the development of a complete emulation, which is the stated goal. and well, sound and function is first and foremost. as long as we're being sticklers about the 32 patch limit and all.

I don't see how the data entry slider is relevant for a GUI displaying all 6 Operators. VSTHost and protocols like Novation Automap can achieve any tactile control scheme you want.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

overhishead wrote:I noticed that theres a lot of folks wanting the gui to look good, but really if this is an emulation, things such as realtime parameter modification with a slider, and the AMS function should be a few tiers above in priority.

getting crazy with a gui is great and everything, but i am rooting for the development of a complete emulation, which is the stated goal. and well, sound and function is first and foremost. as long as we're being sticklers about the 32 patch limit and all.
Do you REALLY want THAT? :-o Have you ever wondered why there were so many software editors for the DX7? And why more than 90% of the DX7s that went to service to Yamaha had the initial sounds untouched?
Fernando (FMR)

asb2m10 wrote:For the 'ticks' problem; I've did found out that the mono switch got switched randomly; even if the UI was still indicating poly (e.g. mono off)... Sorry for this; but this is beta software... :( That would explain why some people got very noisy problems and others not.

Anyway it is now fixed; and the mono transfer is now more smooth, but we still need more job if I compare to my DX7.

The mono stuff is probably the cause of the past ticks...
I can confirm that the ticks/clicks in Poly mode are gone. Mono mode has much less ticks than before, but still quite a lot - needs further improvement.

Thanks for the fix and for the update :clap: :!:

fmr wrote:I was very frustrated, as you can imagine, and I thought to myself: Why didn't I get a message warning me the bank had changes not saved? This is kind of standard behaviour in any piece of software, and it would be great to have that.
Dexed should also notify the host that the patch/cart has changed, i.e. that the project state has changed, so that the host can then ask to save the project on exit.

As I wrote in a previous post some time ago.

And yes, this is standard behaviour. Hopefully, it will be implemented soon.

Another request (sorry). Please, make the synth aware of the names, especially of the current loaded cartridge. This is conveniente for quick saving, and also for when we want to load a new, know which one is currently loaded. For exemple, I still didn't manage to listen to all the cartridges that come pre-loaded, since I am always loosing track of what I already load, and end passing over something, or reload something that was already listened - this is annoying as hell.

And having to always pointing to the bank that is currently loaded to save it because the synth isn't aware of its name is also annoying. These are small details that make a huge difference in workflow.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
overhishead wrote:I noticed that theres a lot of folks wanting the gui to look good, but really if this is an emulation, things such as realtime parameter modification with a slider, and the AMS function should be a few tiers above in priority.

Do you REALLY want THAT? :-o Have you ever wondered why there were so many software editors for the DX7? And why more than 90% of the DX7s that went to service to Yamaha had the initial sounds untouched?
my point is that dexed isn't a functional emulation of the dx7 yet, and going nuts creating a gui right now is a waste of time for the moment.

my other point is why again do the developers want to keep to the 32 patch compatibility for nostalgia's sake, yet explode into the GUI creativity when the sound engine is lacking at least two major and central features of the dx7, namely the AMS (modwheel changes amount of individual voices) and the realtime single parameter awesomeness slider?

if i were working on an emulation, i would try to nail the important parts (key word: emulation) before i start inventing new parts, which are not emulating things.

overhishead wrote:if i were working on an emulation, i would try to nail the important parts (key word: emulation) before i start inventing new parts, which are not emulating things.
Since you're obviously experienced and know how to go about these things, judging from your comments – where is your own emulation(s)?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

overhishead wrote: my point is that dexed isn't a functional emulation of the dx7 yet, and going nuts creating a gui right now is a waste of time for the moment.

my other point is why again do the developers want to keep to the 32 patch compatibility for nostalgia's sake, yet explode into the GUI creativity when the sound engine is lacking at least two major and central features of the dx7, namely the AMS (modwheel changes amount of individual voices) and the realtime single parameter awesomeness slider?

if i were working on an emulation, i would try to nail the important parts (key word: emulation) before i start inventing new parts, which are not emulating things.
I agree with you regarding the 32 patch limit, but that is because the author wants to keep compatibility with the DX7 sys-x definition (he is using the same format) therefore, he has to comply with that limit in order to properly save and load banks which are truly compatible with the DX7 - I understood and accepted.

Besides, he promised that he is working on a "cartridge" manager that will workaround the theoretical limit.

Regarding the AMS - that is, AFAIK, scheduled for sometime before version 1.0 - remember this is version 0.8

The GUI was (is) a must for anyone to start working with what is already there, which is already good enough to work and good to test and make some suggestions (as I have been doing).

A GUI like the original DX7 was already very bad in 1982 (take notice that the interface of the DX1 was much better, for example), and would be totally unacceptable in 2014, especially in a computer environment.
Fernando (FMR)

Another suggestion. When we are working in a patch that we opened in a bank, when we choose to save it (STORE), DeXed should place itself in the slot location of the patch opened, NOT in the first location of the bank. If we are not aware, we can accidentally delete the first patch from the bank.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”