Well, another iLok drama unfolding

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compyfox wrote:Again, a thing that only happened to some people. Not all of them.

Those that instantly updated the minute the new software manager was out, shouldn't be surprised if there pops up a problem. Personally I found the transition time too short, so I waited like half a week to update. I was even beta testing a license update during that time. And what do you know - my iLok didn't "crash".

Not saying that there weren't issues still.
Haha gimme a break. Your legendary Cubase whoes and issues does happen only to some people?! Not to all. So? Is issue less valid? No it isn't.

I can easily imagine absurd amount of your tyranny at KVR server and whole forum place actually if something similar happened to you. :hihi: I don't know while this response started as a joke i see that it turned to something different. Oh well.. :dog:

Gamma-UT wrote:So I wonder if PACE has refunded any sellers their $25 fee for licences that have now been rescinded? If they try to transfer the licence they still have to the unlucky buyer will they get charged twice? If PACE keeps the money, are they guilty of handling stolen goods or accessory to fraud?
I'll believe that when pigs fly......wait........

kmonkey wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Again, a thing that only happened to some people. Not all of them.

Those that instantly updated the minute the new software manager was out, shouldn't be surprised if there pops up a problem. Personally I found the transition time too short, so I waited like half a week to update. I was even beta testing a license update during that time. And what do you know - my iLok didn't "crash".

Not saying that there weren't issues still.
Haha gimme a break. Your legendary Cubase whoes and issues does happen only to some people?! Not to all. So? Is issue less valid? No it isn't.

I can easily imagine absurd amount of your tyranny at KVR server and whole forum place actually if something similar happened to you. :hihi: I don't know while this response started as a joke i see that it turned to something different. Oh well.. :dog:
I was going to say, weren't you (compy) the same guy who went OFF on people charging for plugins w/o a refund/transfer/demo?

audientronic wrote:So, has everyone who has had a license deleted received an e-mail from iLok telling them that? Or is it just a random discovery for some?
It appears to be random and it appears to be even from much greater past. It just seems that individual people where under impression that it's their own fault somehow but now when someone pointed it loudly people are coming out of nowhere with their merging and similar stories.

And yes it seems that even legit users experienced it. Users which ordered and paid licenses through authorized dealers such as Avid and Waves. Even people using licenses for more then 5 years suddenly can't use them anymore.

Totally weird and absurd.

audientronic wrote:So, has everyone who has had a license deleted received an e-mail from iLok telling them that? Or is it just a random discovery for some?
From what I can substantiate all users sent the invalid licenses were emailed and warned.

The unfortunate parties who wouldn't be aware are those who bought the licenses during the embargo and post license deletion.

kmonkey wrote:Haha gimme a break. Your legendary Cubase whoes and issues does happen only to some people?! Not to all. So? Is issue less valid? No it isn't.
If you aim at my critism and bug findings towards the ASIO engine with Steinberg - no, I am not the only one that has this, but I was among the first (and the loudest it seems) to make people aware of that. Up until this day, it's still considered as "not existing" and that I "made sh*t up", which results until this day to the comment "you're on a vendetta - drop it or switch hosts".

As you should know by now - Steinberg admitted that there is something wonky, but won't be able to fix it until C8 at bar minimum (I think more like C9). Some of the support there took the time to work with me and actually find(!) the issue, sort it out. In the process I even found a bug which got finally ironed out with C7.07 and C7.5.20 - an excessive use of processing power of Steinberg's host bundled plugins. Every user benefits from that - nobody gave a sh*t how this bug was found.

Doesn't matter - I'm beta testing for a lot of companies (half of them use iLok). So I'm used to run into issues, but I know how to work around it if sh*t hits the fan.

FOR THE RECORD:
This time, it wasn't me who started to point out similarities with Steinberg.

kmonkey wrote:I can easily imagine absurd amount of your tyranny at KVR server and whole forum place actually if something similar happened to you. :hihi: I don't know while this response started as a joke i see that it turned to something different. Oh well.. :dog:
At least I didn't go completely mental and actually have contacted the developer in question. I only defended my rights as paying customer.

And I would do the same if I had an iLok glitch: get in touch with the developer - if that one can't help me, then iLok. If both refuse to help (which is rarely the case), then I go apesh*t. In this case, it's more than adjusted.

hibidy wrote:I was going to say, weren't you (compy) the same guy who went OFF on people charging for plugins w/o a refund/transfer/demo?
Yes - since this is just a stupid concept which open doors for abuse. But I think I made the pretty clear in the other thread.

And it's totally unrelated to this particular issue.

I mean, have anyone even READ and UNDERSTOOD what the Pace/iLok support wrote (see quote in here a couple of pages back)? It was a glitch, glitches can happen, they contacted the persons in question - and now people assume(!!!) that there is more to it and that iLok actively stole from them.

If that is the case - then these particular people should have gotten in touch with the developers in question, to sort this out. You are registered at their place - you can ask for support there. Everything else is just messed up.

For the last time - Pace/iLok only provides the system. The developers utilize that. If there is a hickup, there are more places to ask what's going on. If people don't do that, then the critism is unadjusted. If it doesn't take any fruit, that lies on a whole different ballpark alltogether.

Don't like it, don't buy it - but stick to it and stop convincing others that it's "still crap".

Also read this post:
kmonkey wrote:It appears to be random and it appears to be even from much greater past. It just seems that individual people where under impression that it's their own fault somehow but now when someone pointed it loudly people are coming out of nowhere with their merging and similar stories.
Same happened with the Steinberg issues btw.

But...
kmonkey wrote:And yes it seems that even legit users experienced it. Users which ordered and paid licenses through authorized dealers such as Avid and Waves. Even people using licenses for more then 5 years suddenly can't use them anymore.

Did any of these people actually care to ask at the developers place first? In case for Waves and Brainworx, I know that the company says "we dropped iLok years ago - please consider going the new update route" (I am an active Brainworx user). In terms of AVID... if you paid that much for ProTools - I'm sure they're glad to help unless they are total a-holes.

THIS COMMENT SUMS IT UP:

MFXxx wrote:From what I can substantiate all users sent the invalid licenses were emailed and warned.

The unfortunate parties who wouldn't be aware are those who bought the licenses during the embargo and post license deletion.

I'll ask the same which was asked to me in the other thread:
What's the big deal here?

It doesn't concern you. And/or if it never concerned you, why go all out on this?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

[Mod edit: Please keep HPC arguments in HPC.]

If you want to know what real suffering is, imagine Asio spikes on Cubase.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

n/m
Last edited by scintillator on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

standalone wrote:If you want to know what real suffering is, imagine Asio spikes on Cubase.
The horror, the horror.

But that's only if they're spikes on Compy's machine, right?

Actually they should be grateful that iLok isn't *billing* customers for 5 years "rental" use of the programs that were illegit. :hihi:

Seriously though, they *should* at least reimburse transfer fees for removed licenses.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Gamma-UT wrote:But that's only if they're spikes on Compy's machine, right?
I hope you are not implying that there is another computer in the world that matters.

But now seriously :hihi: , I remember that some weeks ago, when I registered the Nectar Elements that I got from XLN Audio, I noticed that there were some duplicates of old Waves demo licenses long time expired in the license manager on my computer.

I just forgot about this until some days ago when I received a mail from Pace telling something like 'you better remove that licenses soon, we will check your ilok again before the end of the month, don't reply to this mail, shut up and do what we say'.

I didn't like their tone, I found it rather insulting having in mind that it was solely their mistake and I am one of their customers.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

kmonkey wrote: It appears to be random...
And yes it seems that even legit users experienced it...Even people using licenses for more then 5 years suddenly can't use them anymore.

MFXxx wrote:
From what I can substantiate all users sent the invalid licenses were emailed and warned.

Thanks for the info...

Gamma-UT wrote:I just forgot about this until some days ago when I received a mail from Pace telling something like 'you better remove that licenses soon, we will check your ilok again before the end of the month, don't reply to this mail, shut up and do what we say'.

I didn't like their tone, I found it rather insulting having in mind that it was solely their mistake and I am one of their customers.
It is PACE. Everything is your fault, especially if it's a problem caused by their software. My upgrade to MicroShift went screwy (licence surrender went through but failed to update at their end). They fixed it but blamed the problem on an old software install rather than their database getting confused. So I dutifully downloaded the 'new' version of the software. Guess what? Identical build.

standalone wrote:...
Okay - that's it. I'm using the new mute function on you from now on. Let's see how this is working out.

Go flame somewhere else. Don't need to take every sh*t from you.

scintillator wrote:The server glitch is their mistake, they authorized the transfers took the fees, why should a user have to contact anyone to use a paid-for product AND HAVE NO WAY TO CONTACT SUPPORT, deleting licenses from people's computers is hacking and theft, will they reimburse the transfer fees for the illegit licenses, will they compensate the affected users with actual money for causing them trouble, what about the legit licenses that've disappeared, etc., etc.?
Yes, they funked up. Yes, they took the fees in order to "move" the licenses from one account to another. This fee is for their transition work. The companies in question could have also asked for the fees and only forwarded them to Pace/iLok (read: they'd be the middleman - iLok would still get the money but the user wouldn't be invoved to contact iLok). In other words: The fees you invested was for maintenance of the license in question - no matter if the software dev took it (and then forwarded it) or Pace/iLok directly.

The difference is pretty much nill. You should only care if the license is working at this point.

The main thing - and this is important - you are registered(!) to the company that belongs to the corresponding license. Example: you buy a used CraneSong plugin, you're now a Crane Song user. No matter if it turned NFR or it stays a regular license.

If you bought a legit license - you're entitled to get it back. But iLok can't reissue that, only the developers of this plugin. No matter if you broke the iLok, the iLok got damaged or the licenses got somehow erased (server glitch). When does the coin fall down so that people finally understand that?

If it was really a legit license, with transfer fees involved (second hand) or directly bought, but suddenly your licenses glitched and are either duplicated (and you got the warning) and/or are gone (and you got the warning)... again, only the companies you are registered to are entitled to give you back your licenses. But in the same time, they can put the gun to the chest of iLok.

Everything else should be covered through iLok's ZDT - still you need to contact the software developers.

What happened is not okay - and yes we all know by now that iLok gives a sh*t about all of this (at least to a certain extend). But since day 1, this is the way to do it. Not(!!!) the other way around. I even remember that this is written in the FAQ's of the iLok page (unless they changed that). So the only argument we can all agree on, and where the anger is adjusted, is that they funked up.

Apparently, nobody gives a sh*t otherwise.

"It doesn't concern me, you are wrong - stop your vendetta"
"Yes, it should concern you because that company is sh*t, they are liars and thieves".

See what I did there?
This can apply to pretty much every so called "hate thread".

scintillator wrote:This has nothing to do with 'communication' on the user's part!
Yes it does.

And with that said - I'm out.
Apparently I know jack about all this, my mind is so funked up that I don't see the "reality".

To quote one infamous white hedgehog from a very controversal video game of the mid 00's: "It's no use!!!"
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

so let me get this straight, this thread is turning into attack compyfox because he sees it different than some of you? I have actually been in compyfox's shoes, the lynch mob comes after anyone who does not agree that dongles are bad. He's right, there is a whole lot of "see we were right about dongles" going on here because I guess that's what people need to do to push their agenda. When Samplitude dropped their dongle they gave users a choice...you know why? Some people like them...sorry to burst your bubbles, I am sure that everyone here will explain how stupid those people are.

Let's switch this around for a second, some ilok users experienced issues because of this...yup, that's a fact. I read here about "what if you're in the middle of something and you're being paid?" HELLO, that's part of the risks one takes in any profession. I would say that right at this moment there are far more people making money using iloks and other dongles (with monster cable too) amking lot's of money right now at this very second doing fine without any issues. But everyone feeds off of one person being sympathetic with Pace because they need someone to blast.

Well I for one do not blame compyfox for this, I wont judge him because he disagrees with the masses, in fact I respect the hell out of him for having a different opinion and standing up for what he believes.

Hell I am willing to bet that really more people have lost work time arguing in this stupid thread and others like it than there has been lost work hours from dongle issues. (I actually started a thread about that once, I made it clear it was not a thread about liking or disliking dongles but it was about how many real issues are there and how many people really lost time....but no matter how many times I tried to steer it on course the dongle haters kept coming and ruined the intent of the thread)

Let me ask you, is this what you folk want KvR to be..."someone disagrees with us...let get him"...what the hell his thread about fx not coming with a demo has to do with this thread but let's dig into his past to find more things to jump on him for. Oh look he has dared say something negative about the almighty Cubase too. More stuff to drag him through the mud to prove what? That some people hate dongles, some people like dongles and some people do not care one way or the other. Or is it that fact that dongle haters hate so much they will take their hate out on anyone that does not agree with them.

Give it a rest already, and Roland...I suggest you do the same because it's a no win situation, let ilok handle their on damage control. To those on the other side, we all know you hate dongles so simply do not use them...nothing good comes from puffing out your chest saying "see, dongles are evil". If you would rather not buy software because it has a dongle no one is going to make you buy that software.

I feel bad for those who have down time because of this issue, I wonder where they were when I have had downtime due to gear that failed, software that had bugs. I know that there are going to be many things that will go wrong in my studio, I know that sometimes I am going to be in the groove and some little gremlin will come along and mess things up...or worse it will be the result of a total brain fart on my end...that's the nature of the beast, that's the ground rules...things will go wrong.

I totally get the fact that people who do not trust dongles would want to not use dongles to keep issues to a minimum...that makes sense, priorities are priorities...but they may be different for each person. LIve and let live.

Either side of the dongle argument comes down to an old saying "never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig"
:wink:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”