Imitone -- wow! Most embarassing post I ever started

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To clarify a little on my last answer: Depending on how this latest version turns out, I may switch gears to features development and complete most of imitone's core features toward the end of the year, with stretch goal and studio edition stuff to follow.

My primary goal is getting the software to a point where it could be useful to a total novice in combination with entry-level software like GarageBand. I don't believe any previous version has been nearly effective enough to qualify, which is why my focus has been on R&D these last months.
imitone: transform your voice into any instrument.

Just one question..WHY???
Why would you want to play midi notes with your voice live? You can just as easily play them with a keyboard.

It's easy to use a VST version in a DAW or virtual mixer type of app for live performance.
A plugin version will be well received by your funders, and SELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Standalone is wack.
I really can't fathom why you haven't released a plugin version yet. I know devs get ahead of themselves, but especially knowing you've had a $90,000 boost for a year or more, I'm a tad disappointed.

sqigls wrote:I know devs get ahead of themselves, but especially knowing you've had a $90,000 boost for a year or more, I'm a tad disappointed.
I already said the same. Funded over $90.000 this guy could work regulary on it for a year now. Isn't this the meaning of crowdfunding? To get the money to work on something? I'll see what 0.8 will bring (promised over a month now to coming yet). The whole progression is to slow anyway. It looks like he isn't motivated and search for reasons to explain the long breaks between updates. I would be glad not to hear that other things are more important for him then this project especially if you funded a 2-years-income or more for it.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Exactly. THIS is where the disappointment comes from. It's not the envisioned product once finished. It's the lack of progress while already funded a two years of income to work 9 to 5 each day on it.

murnau wrote:
sqigls wrote:I know devs get ahead of themselves, but especially knowing you've had a $90,000 boost for a year or more, I'm a tad disappointed.
I already said the same. Funded over $90.000 this guy could work regulary on it for a year now. Isn't this the meaning of crowdfunding? To get the money to work on something? I'll see what 0.8 will bring (promised over a month now to coming yet). The whole progression is to slow anyway. It looks like he isn't motivated and search for reasons to explain the long breaks between updates. I would be glad not to hear that other things are more important for him then this project especially if you funded a 2-years-income or more for it.
I can't be bothered to go look back over his previous updates for details, but if you do, you'll find that he was working on one or more other projects at the same time, and that those at times took priority over Imitone. That in itself was a little mind-boggling- the fact that he raised $90,000 in funding and then sends out updates telling his backers that he's been hard at work on some other project instead of the one they had funded.

Personally, I've all but given up on ever seeing a finished version of this with all the promised functionality. And I'm one of the suckers who paid for Imitone Prime, which was specifically sold as a VST version. I pretty much consider my money to have been thrown away at this point, and I'm just not going to spend any further time worrying about it. Maybe he'll surprise us with a fully functional version... someday. :roll:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

The VST was also promised for the normal Imitone if he reach $60.000. As much as i would like to have a VST version i'm personally more frustated about the slow update process in general. I was confident in the beginning of this thread that things may change now but reading the comments (or lack of comments for certain things) from Evan i don't think so anymore. I will decide to ask for a refund next year if another 0.1 update takes 6 month or longer.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

interactopia wrote:
But I'm sure everybody else (= most pro users) would much prefer a fully integrated VST.
As far as I understand, the majority of my users are not professionals. My primary agenda for imitone is expanding the accessibility of music software. (Hence the low price point.).
I also think a poll with all your backers could be interesting to find out if that really is the case.
One does not have to be a pro to prefer a VST actually. Most people using a DAW will probably prefer it integrated.

Why I think developing the VST in parallel would make sense is, that some things need some time to get into. You need to understand the frameworks you work with, solve the graphics issues etc. Usually it can be good for the human brain to switch tasks every now and then. When one is stuck in one area, work on a different one and then come back later - usually things have developed in the back of the mind in the meantime and solutions come easier with a bit of distance.

To me it looks as if you simply don't have much experience with DAWs in general, VSTs and the whole audio market so you put that aspect off into a distant future.
Not helpful.
I'd highly recommend embracing these things instead and cater to all your backers, not only the non-pro tribe.

Balance is important.

Or at one point you will get so many refund requests that the whole project can go belly up.

Cheers and best of luck.

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

maybe Apple got to him :P

BitDefender is blocking the beta 0.70 download for me as well. It says that the site is not safe.

G

I've been waiting a long time for the VST version before I buy. Won't even consider the standalone version, no matter how good it is.

well.. I don't feel so bad about not backing it now.

lingyai wrote:Last night, in response to a complaint on his project's page, he wrote

"If anyone else believes my progress so far constitutes a failure to deliver, I'm happy to issue refunds. That said, I would encourage you to hold out for a week..! I have put a lot into this next update, and I'm really excited to see what people can do with it."
Evan, six days after saying to hold out for a week, you wrote here

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ev ... 1#comments

"I'll be back to work on the update next week, targeting the end of the month or the beginning of November for release."

As it's the beginning of November, I was wondering, what's the deal?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

After all the delays and broken deadlines, I think Evan is either conning his backers or conning himself. Not sure which, really.

In the meantime, the latest version of JamOrigin's MIDIGuitar is rockin' my world. :party:

interactopia wrote:
But I'm sure everybody else (= most pro users) would much prefer a fully integrated VST.
As far as I understand, the majority of my users are not professionals. My primary agenda for imitone is expanding the accessibility of music software. (Hence the low price point.)
I'm not a "pro" by any means and a VST version would be the ONLY thing I care about. I just want to use my voice as a midi controller...

Return to “Instruments”