New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

This thing is a lot of fun, it really needs some better filters though they sound very weak. Also an output volume knob would be nice, unless I am missing it somewhere. On low volume audio files I barely get any sound.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

Unfortunately, already couple times get total hang of system, when tried import various wav's (usual length) during grains play (when triggered is On). Helped only hard reboot via button - frankly forgot when last time i did it, maybe on WinXP times. On Win7 not met yet a plugin which causing such a cruel hang, anyway usually helps ctrl+shift+escape - but in this case even it does not work.
(For any case - Win7 64bit\ Studio one 32bit\ The mangle vst 32bit v0.9b)
But of course for me it is not a reason to abandon it, wonderful tool. Just ask the developer to pay attention to the problem. This does not often, but happens. :bang:

EDIT BTW really liked the ability to save a sample within a preset, good work.

It seems if import custom samples in not-real time playing (during grains no play) then all ok, no crash (not yet get at least). That encouraging.

I kind of bought this before I realized how long it's been in beta, has anyone spoken to the developer recently?

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

etherdesign wrote:I kind of bought this before I realized how long it's been in beta, has anyone spoken to the developer recently?
I emailed him on the first. I still haven't heard back.

wagtunes wrote:
etherdesign wrote:I kind of bought this before I realized how long it's been in beta, has anyone spoken to the developer recently?
As far as i could understand he is a very skilled gui, but still a kid and on a lonely enterprise, so just perhaps be patient, me thinks...

Krakatau wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
As far as i could understand he is a very skilled gui, but still a kid and on a lonely enterprise, so just perhaps be patient, me thinks...
+1 I think you are correct, and patience is a "virtue" for a reason. ;)

Though I can empathize with anyone experiencing issues, I bought this on release as it is truly unique, and just work around any 'quirks' that crop up. I've certainly had more "major" {beta} issues with software from companies that are much much larger, and well funded. [2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Krakatau wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
The only reason I'm a little concerned is because he'll be using 50 of my patches for the next release incorporating embedded samples. It's not like him not to get back to me within at least a week. It's now been 14 days, so yeah, I'm a little concerned. I've been sitting on a patch library since March that I can't release because I don't know if anybody has the new version yet.

wagtunes wrote:
Krakatau wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
The only reason I'm a little concerned is because he'll be using 50 of my patches for the next release incorporating embedded samples. It's not like him not to get back to me within at least a week. It's now been 14 days, so yeah, I'm a little concerned. I've been sitting on a patch library since March that I can't release because I don't know if anybody has the new version yet.
Ah! sorry. :dog: yes, that's different. Hope it gets resolved soon.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Mangle is ALIVE! It is now a release candidate.

Reveived this email today:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So I think I'm close to releasing version 1.0. Please consider this a "release candidate" - barring any bad bugs it will form the 1.0 release, so please send in any you find!

The new features and bug fixes are detailed below but can I please draw your attention to this important information:

This release may break existing DAW projects which use automation on Mangle tracks. I've been trying to avoid this, but I had to do it in the end - it's a result of some poor design decisions early on in development and I didn't want those to persist into the final release. If you have existing projects with Mangle automation, you'll have to do a bit of legwork to update them. I have created a tool which makes this a bit simpler, but you'll still have to do some manual fiddling:

1) Update The Mangle.
2) Open each project which contains automation on the Mangle in turn.
3) Enter each automation target (e.g. "s3 Grain release time") into the tool provided. You may notice these targets aren't what you originally selected - this is the breaking change. The tool will tell you what to change each target to, which should restore your original automation targets. Resave your projects.

If the tool tells you "Automation not supported", either you were automating a target that didn't actually work properly (e.g. Grain env curve) or if you don't think that's the case, something has gone wrong. Let me know.

I'm sorry this has happened, but I couldn't get around it. It should never happen again.

You can grab the updates here:

(email link) Mac, 11.1Mb
(email link) Win, 3.8Mb

Changes:

- Rate options dropdown now has a swing slider. This works for both quantised and non-quantised rates, though it's a simple implementation (simply delays every other grain).
- Added a modulation matrix where you can see all of your modulations in one place. With longer sliders, you can also do finer adjustments to modulation. In-place modulation still exists, of course.
- You can now set any modulation to be unipolar (+, default) or bipolar (+-). Originally all modulations were unipolar, but lots of people think bipolar modulations make more sense (especially when assigning the pitch wheel and adding pan modulations) so I added the option.
- Fixed silly bug where turing off pitch lock didn't work.
- Some performance enhancements
- Improved stability when using of automation
- Greater accuracy in waveform & grain display. Grain length/position corresponds much more tightly to the sound you hear now.
- Added loop speed and amount as automation targets.
- There is now a knob to adjust grain envelope lengths automatically based on the grain creation rate. So for example, you can set it so that faster grain creation results in shorter grains and vice-versa, so the amount of overlap between grains remains consistent. It's on the Position tab.
- Added next/previous buttons for browsing presets.

The next release:

Before the final release comes, I'll be writing a manual, and possibly exploring multi-outputs for those plugin formats that support it.

I just saw that. I've got the update downloaded and ready to load. Nice. :tu:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

I didn't receive the e-mail, and the download link seems to have changed :(

Neon Breath oh thanks. Will try.

Downloaded, and running for 20 minutes. It seems stable.

Great updates, thank you! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”