New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

Photo_G wrote:How does this compare with Padshop Pro?

Thanks in advance,
G
Please read page 36 of this thread, so I don't have to write it again.

Catching up with this thread has re-inspired me to give this granular another look. I bought it very early on but have been using other synths in my arsenal.

Last update I got from the dev was in November but he seems to have gone underground since then. Brilliant little tool he got here...hopefully this bit of hype will push him to keep working on it.
S1gns Of L1fe
Ambient Music Producer | Content Creator

Well, I read a few random pages of this long thread. I can't believe that folks are going off about a plug this flexable and so incredibly inexpensive. The web site is straight forward about it being a beta. The interface is resizeable. Some people love it. For me, it sounds like a no-brainer for the cost of a couple of trips to the local burger joint. I'm going to buy it right now and support the dev. Likewise, I don't care if he ever responds. I'm not gonna ask in the first place. I know I'll get $30 worth of entertainment out of it, and there's a very strong chance that it will be a long lasting tool for me. Mark me down as stoked. :party:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

rustman wrote:Well, I read a few random pages of this long thread. I can't believe that folks are going off about a plug this flexable and so incredibly inexpensive. The web site is straight forward about it being a beta. The interface is resizeable. Some people love it. For me, it sounds like a no-brainer for the cost of a couple of trips to the local burger joint. I'm going to buy it right now and support the dev. Likewise, I don't care if he ever responds. I'm not gonna ask in the first place. I know I'll get $30 worth of entertainment out of it, and there's a very strong chance that it will be a long lasting tool for me. Mark me down as stoked. :party:
If you have, or can make the raw material to use with this synth, the possibilities are endless. It is truly one of the few unique sound production tools that I have in my arsenal. Once it's more stable, I will be using it in production a lot.

I just bought it and completed the download. I'll be installing it and checking it out in the next few minutes. My expectations are managed. This hasn't always been the case in the past. :D Looking forward to checking it out.

Awesome...thanks!

G

can anyone compare this to m-rgt plugs?

i really like grain tools...and i know the mangle is on the cheap, but still cash is cash and while i dont mind spending for something good...i also dont like spending on something that i already have covered.

i have all 3 m-rgt plugs (and LOVE them), but if this adds something new/different...id be very interested.

thnx.
ImageImageImage

wagtunes wrote:
rustman wrote:Well, I read a few random pages of this long thread. I can't believe that folks are going off about a plug this flexable and so incredibly inexpensive. The web site is straight forward about it being a beta. The interface is resizeable. Some people love it. For me, it sounds like a no-brainer for the cost of a couple of trips to the local burger joint. I'm going to buy it right now and support the dev. Likewise, I don't care if he ever responds. I'm not gonna ask in the first place. I know I'll get $30 worth of entertainment out of it, and there's a very strong chance that it will be a long lasting tool for me. Mark me down as stoked. :party:
If you have, or can make the raw material to use with this synth, the possibilities are endless. It is truly one of the few unique sound production tools that I have in my arsenal. Once it's more stable, I will be using it in production a lot.
I just got around to spending a little time with this. Once I got a handle on a few concepts, I started getting some nice sound washes. I have one droning right now with the pitch mapped to mod wheel. I set the scale to Some of the various modes and experimented. I've still got a few things to figure out, but I've already gotten my moneys worth. Looking forward to see what the future brings.

does anyone of you know if the mangle works in logic after the latest 10.1 update? i read in the u-he forum that apple dropped the support for some legacy dev kits and since there is no demo version of the mangle available i don't want to risk it not running in my setup

The Mangle, still alive with an update!

Received this from the dev in my mailbox. So check yours....

Changes:

- The Mangle now also comes in Pro Tools AAX format for Windows & Mac!
- Improved waveform display load times.
- Improved smoothness & accuracy of grain display.
- Fixed bug where very quiet audio files displayed blocky waveforms.
- New feature: Embed audio in preset files (for sharing presets more easily).
- If you recieve a patch with embedded audio, you can extract the audio into a folder.
- New feature: Grain length/pitch compensation allows you to make higher pitched grains shorter automatically, since they play audio faster (in Position tab)
- Added settings allowing choice of max grains displayed & size of display grains.
- Added settings allowing choice of number of voices (shared between all slots) & max grains per voice.
- Added ability to change colours of waveform frequency bands for a little customization.
- Improved feel of mouse interactions with waveform zoom/scroll control.
- You can now see modulation amount previews for a modulator just by mousing over its 'handle' button.
- Fixed bug where triplet and dotted rate quantisation couldn't be selected at the same time.
- Loop amount & speed now correctly saves and loads from presets.
- Reduced memory usage when using the same audio on different slots.
- Minor optimisations to sound engine, especially in the case where grains aren't repitched.
- Fixed Macro knobs 3 & 4.
- Added 2 extra sequencers per slot. I kept finding myself wanting more!
- Made sequencers more robust - in particular, eliminated a couple of initialization bugs.
The future:

The next release will be a 'release candidate' for version 1.0. These are the features I hop to incorporate in that release:

- Write a manual (this will be online in HTML format)
- Implement simple serial number system to allow trial downloads (this will be easily crackable... ooh er!)
- Input your own pitch lock scales
- Swing on tempo synced grain creation rate.
- Ability to switch modulations to be bipolar - useful for e.g. assigning pitch bend.
- Modulation matrix - in-place modulation won't go away, but could be useful to see all modulations in one place too.

Neon Breath wrote:The Mangle, still alive with an update!

Received this from the dev in my mailbox. So check yours....

Changes:

- The Mangle now also comes in Pro Tools AAX format for Windows & Mac!
- Improved waveform display load times.
- Improved smoothness & accuracy of grain display.
- Fixed bug where very quiet audio files displayed blocky waveforms.
- New feature: Embed audio in preset files (for sharing presets more easily).
- If you recieve a patch with embedded audio, you can extract the audio into a folder.
- New feature: Grain length/pitch compensation allows you to make higher pitched grains shorter automatically, since they play audio faster (in Position tab)
- Added settings allowing choice of max grains displayed & size of display grains.
- Added settings allowing choice of number of voices (shared between all slots) & max grains per voice.
- Added ability to change colours of waveform frequency bands for a little customization.
- Improved feel of mouse interactions with waveform zoom/scroll control.
- You can now see modulation amount previews for a modulator just by mousing over its 'handle' button.
- Fixed bug where triplet and dotted rate quantisation couldn't be selected at the same time.
- Loop amount & speed now correctly saves and loads from presets.
- Reduced memory usage when using the same audio on different slots.
- Minor optimisations to sound engine, especially in the case where grains aren't repitched.
- Fixed Macro knobs 3 & 4.
- Added 2 extra sequencers per slot. I kept finding myself wanting more!
- Made sequencers more robust - in particular, eliminated a couple of initialization bugs.
The future:

The next release will be a 'release candidate' for version 1.0. These are the features I hop to incorporate in that release:

- Write a manual (this will be online in HTML format)
- Implement simple serial number system to allow trial downloads (this will be easily crackable... ooh er!)
- Input your own pitch lock scales
- Swing on tempo synced grain creation rate.
- Ability to switch modulations to be bipolar - useful for e.g. assigning pitch bend.
- Modulation matrix - in-place modulation won't go away, but could be useful to see all modulations in one place too.
Been helping Tom test this but some of these even I'm not familiar with so there must be an even newer version coming soon.

Should be interesting and keep me plenty busy. LOL

Anyone know what the price will rise to when v1 gets released? Not sure if i really need/want this right now but it does seem a bargain.

Super excited to receive this email in my inbox this morning.

Have already asked the dev to be a guest on the AO podcast and he said yes...so if I can pull him away from his busy schedule we should get some interview action soon!

Off to go download the new version...

Cheers,
-S1gns
S1gns Of L1fe
Ambient Music Producer | Content Creator

S1gnsOfL1fe wrote:
Super excited to receive this email in my inbox this morning.

Have already asked the dev to be a guest on the AO podcast and he said yes...so if I can pull him away from his busy schedule we should get some interview action soon!

Off to go download the new version...

Cheers,
-S1gns
Did he send out download links because there's no members area to download.

Yes, there are links. Check your spam folder maybe?

Return to “Instruments”