User examples using Iris Subscription series sounds

Official support for: patchpool.de
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets

I'm starting a dedicated thread for Iris subscription examples.

In this first track I'm using 4 instances playing Iris subscription sounds and 4 instances playing percussion from the Wood and Toys libraries.

https://soundcloud.com/twotoneshuzz/eyesintheskies

Regards

Wade
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Here's another track using Iris and Patchpool sounds with a few iZotope expansion sounds thrown into the mix, mostly in a percusive role

http://soundcloud.com/twotoneshuzz/deta ... ay/s-rJLmt

Yet another track. It's a struggle working the way I do, so even though I'm posting alot of tracks lately it doesn't seem to be getting any easier.

Thanks to Simons great sounds, I hope that you don't need to think about my sore ears and bloodied knuckles

http://soundcloud.com/twotoneshuzz/ratt ... ls/s-efLtt

I tried out some new sounds and made an arrangement. Among others of his Subsription sounds one from Simons recordings made on his travels to Korea, and some from iZotopes Expanions. There's some Trash2 on the long vocal notes, otherwise just a little reverb on some of the tracks using 2C B2, as well as a final mix down sweetening using ArtsAcoutic CL series compressor, Pro Q by Fab Filter and a master reverb. Everything is Composed and mixed using Numerology4 Pro Beta, and mastered using Fission and Audio Hijack Pro.

http://soundcloud.com/twotoneshuzz/stra ... gs/s-IILgP

Another track using the same setup as previous. I hope these demos illustrate the wealth of material and the high end sound quality of the Iris Subscrition series.

The iZotope expansions when you dig deeper have some very nice quality and interesting sounds as well, heard here mostly in a percussive role.

One track using the Waldorf Blofeld run through iZotope trash. The percussion sounds use some 2C B2.

Composed and mixed in Numerology4 Pro Beta

https://soundcloud.com/twotoneshuzz/dis ... plorations

Regards

Wade

My God, I was thinking time to move on til another synth, like Diversion, and revisit the Diversity Sound set, but only 5 examples using iZotope Iris, here and one on another patchpool thread. Ja I did some examples a year ago too, but this is now And there are around 300!!! :shock: sounds in the Iris Subsciption series... not any deadbeaters among them either, as I've checked them ALL...

Hmmmm..

I'll try and work out a track with a more conventional type of music, whatever that is.. Don't expect a miracle conventional is hard!! For me at least :hihi:

Iris Subscription example. I worked on this quite a bit but it got no where near to conventional. Maybe more cohesive rythmically and harmonically but it's well hidden..

http://soundcloud.com/twotoneshuzz/somesmalljoy/s-j5Lgw

Same setup as before, I acheived a kind of a seriously heavy dark and ominous track.

http://soundcloud.com/twotoneshuzz/ripp ... ea/s-QMOsh

Here I am again no track yet, but I'm restless when I'm not working on my little experiments with the Iris Suscription sounds. It's satisfying to search and sift through the various sound universes. Sometimes I throw things together that you or I would not normally consiously or seriously consider placing together in an arrangement, but with such a large library anything is worth a try, one thing leads to another, experience is gained, perhaps most from the things that don't work out as I planned.

I'm discovering lately that the sounds from the Iris subscription work very well with iZotopes own Iris expansion libraries , this pleases me greatly because it expands the possibilities exponentially. Also I have to admit it's comforting just working with one synth engine, for a while. I've done this with the Chromaphone and ChromaZone and Modelled Reality patches, Alchemy and mainly the MetaVox, but also Warped strings, Alchemy Beyond and the Vase. And Diversion for Diversity, and Padshop Pro with the Cosmic Sounds.

I was at the outset of my Patchpool journey of discovery curious to discover if Simon is just repurposing the same material for the different engines, but mostly I can say from experience now that no it's seems that each synth engines soundbanks get mostly their own original sound materiel..

Sound quality wise to my ears it seems at least that the Iris subscription sounds have an especielly "high end" feel to them, and I speculate that this might be because the Iris engine, encourages some experimentation, but also encourages the savy sound designer just to leave the original sound material as is if it's doing what's needed. Iris is a tool that has a one type of activity, masking and unmasking frequency, with very few additional tools, just the Lfo's, amp envelopes, some effects, so to me it seems like the idea is to bring in sounds aready processed or developed elsewhere as Simon does with crusherX, metasynth, or bring in living found sounds, and the Iris functions as an advanced player with spectral selection, as the main tool.

It all boils down for me at least that general output from these Patchpool Iris sounds is highend, and markedly so. Perhaps soundquality wise superior even in comparison with the other engines like Alchemy,Padshop Pro, Chromaphone being a special case as it's physically modelled can't really be compared though...Diversity too has so radically different way to get to it's soundoutput puts it in a league of it's own. Meaning it's kind of pointless to compare it to Iris Alchemy or Padshop Pro.

I note that the Scattered Reality sounds for Mach V also seem to have this "high end" sound quality, so perhaps the actually source materiel is being up optimised...

I look forward to working with Iris sounds and the Mach Five soundset and all the others I've gotten in the last year for the next many many years...

A new track using Patchpool Iris Subscrition series sounds, as well as Maschine sounds fed through the iZotope Trash 2 distortion plug in. Arranged/Composed using Numerology4 Pro Beta..Oh and the lead is a Blofeld sound,SalsaBrass by Rob Lee

http://soundcloud.com/twotoneshuzz/nerv ... wn/s-6NPqP

Another track, same as previous, but added Stutter Edit on the Blofeld, mastered using the ArtsAcoustic CL series compressor, 2c B2 reverb and Pro Q.

Kind of wild what you can find in the Iris Subscription sounds..

https://soundcloud.com/twotoneshuzz/las ... moderntime

TwoToneshuzz wrote: I'm discovering lately that the sounds from the Iris subscription work very well with iZotopes own Iris expansion libraries , this pleases me greatly because it expands the possibilities exponentially. Also I have to admit it's comforting just working with one synth engine, for a while. I've done this with the Chromaphone and ChromaZone and Modelled Reality patches, Alchemy and mainly the MetaVox, but also Warped strings, Alchemy Beyond and the Vase. And Diversion for Diversity, and Padshop Pro with the Cosmic Sounds.
I was at the outset of my Patchpool journey of discovery curious to discover if Simon is just repurposing the same material for the different engines, but mostly I can say from experience now that no it's seems that each synth engines soundbanks get mostly their own original sound materiel..
Sound quality wise to my ears it seems at least that the Iris subscription sounds have an especielly "high end" feel to them, and I speculate that this might be because the Iris engine, encourages some experimentation, but also encourages the savy sound designer just to leave the original sound material as is if it's doing what's needed. Iris is a tool that has a one type of activity, masking and unmasking frequency, with very few additional tools, just the Lfo's, amp envelopes, some effects, so to me it seems like the idea is to bring in sounds aready processed or developed elsewhere as Simon does with crusherX, metasynth, or bring in living found sounds, and the Iris functions as an advanced player with spectral selection, as the main tool.
It all boils down for me at least that general output from these Patchpool Iris sounds is highend, and markedly so. Perhaps soundquality wise superior even in comparison with the other engines like Alchemy,Padshop Pro, Chromaphone being a special case as it's physically modelled can't really be compared though... Meaning it's kind of pointless to compare it to Iris Alchemy or Padshop Pro.
I look forward to working with Iris sounds...
I've asked myself the same questions regarding repurposing certain banks or at least if Simon's perspective comes through the same way in the different engines.
I have his complete sets for Alchemy and Chromaphone and while there may be some similarity in patch personality, I do find them to be different enough to not really cause an overlap. I just picked up Iris and find it compliments Alchemy in a different way so that I really couldn't say one was better than the other. But since Alchemy has been my number one go-to (and still is) and Iris seems to have really grabbed my interest; I can see it becoming as Alchemy's partner in the mix.

Given that, Iris has made me interested in finding what sound designers have come up with for it and immediately who comes up has been Patchpool and Luftrum. Both have intriguing sound sets. Specifically for this thread, I have to say, much of the sample content Simon has here seems to add some completely different content than his other programming/sample for other engines he has done. Great work Simon! I'll be jumping on this subscription just as soon as I get my server connections sorted out.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

Darn, I totally missed this thread and I'm happy you started it, Wade. It's always a pleasure to see a new track coming up on Soundcloud in which you use some of my sounds and I'm always curious to hear how you compose with them.

The sample content for Iris is prepared in a way, that I have enough to choose from when using the spectral tools. It doesn't make sense to use over simplistic sounds and textures with hardly any harmonic content or movement, whereas in other libraries, multisampled "simple" sounds and instruments (e.g. Thai Gongs) can be very playable and expressive instruments. Then the Iris samples are usually more processed, filtered, compressed, finalized, often also using several reverbs or spectral effects on the source material, to create the kind of space I love which translates even within a narrow spectral selection in Iris..

I try not to recycle myself and so far I've succeeded, sometimes I will release a set of samples or single samples made for one virtual instrument within the context of a new release for another instrument, but that is the exception from the rule. Or when sampling a new acoustic instrument I will set a few samples/excerpts aside for the Iris subscription.
What I do is use existing samples and resynthesize them in Metasynth, then manipulating and playing back the resynthesized data with other samples and furtherly processing the result, this procedure creates totally unique material and quite a few Iris samples are created this way.

I'm working on Set 37 right now after some weeks of pausing due to the MachFive release, it's gonna be big and special.

BBFG# wrote:[Great work Simon! I'll be jumping on this subscription just as soon as I get my server connections sorted out.
Thank you :)

Return to “patchpool”