Peak Rider: Sample-accurate, zero latency dynamic peak matching plugin. v1.10 released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well I really like the sound example with compression.

But you are right, it is just an expander with external sidechain, nothing magic.

Parallel compression leads to completely different results though. That is rather the opposite. By mixing the compressed signal you raise the quiet sounds (while maintaining the peaks), so the peaks get better connected. The peak rider, or expander, lowers the quiet sounds so the peaks get better separated.

True, the expander can use different level detector & shape settings, so the results will be different than using parallel compression (or rather dry/wet, I still don't understand why people have such pompous names for something so simple :D ).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:I still don't understand why people have such pompous names for something so simple :D ).
I guess it's the same reason why MDs say you have the cervical syndrome when you have neck pain :D

:D :D :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Anyway, over-compressing something and then reducing the compression with Peak Rider is bad practice, IMHO... There should rather be examples how Peak Rider can be used for all kind of rhythmic/dynamic effects (by feeding it with a different sidechain)...

MeldaProduction wrote:True, the expander can use different level detector & shape settings, so the results will be different than using parallel compression (or rather dry/wet, I still don't understand why people have such pompous names for something so simple :D ).
Well, Peak Rider sounds much better than MMultiChainExpander... :P

True :D but the name doesn't imply what it actually does - expansion :D. This leads to confusion... Why we have like 100 different electric cable plugs? Why americans still use the middle-aged units such as feet?... This could all be avoided if people started to make things "obvious". On the other hand, in that case we would probably have an artificial intelligence already and probably got extinct, so it's probably good that we are kind of "artistic" :D
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:True :D but the name doesn't imply what it actually does - expansion :D. This leads to confusion... Why we have like 100 different electric cable plugs? Why americans still use the middle-aged units such as feet?... This could all be avoided if people started to make things "obvious". On the other hand, in that case we would probably have an artificial intelligence already and probably got extinct, so it's probably good that we are kind of "artistic" :D
The most shocking thing for me as European is when US people write: "We have 85 today!" I always think they would be dead if it were in Celsius... :o

Tricky-Loops wrote:Anyway, over-compressing something and then reducing the compression with Peak Rider is bad practice, IMHO... There should rather be examples how Peak Rider can be used for all kind of rhythmic/dynamic effects (by feeding it with a different sidechain)...
Not necessarily, because you can use different sidechain signals or different processing curves and attack/release times for the two processes, and that opens up many interesting possibilities. You can do all of this with MDynamics though, so it is nothing really new to it.
Last edited by CableChannel on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Construction kits have the most hair-rising names...for example "Red Lips Vocals 2" - I mean, what do red lips have to do with vocals? :nutter:

The name "Peak Rider" at least gives a hint about what it does...

We should help Mr. Melda to find better names for his plugs. I mean..."MDynamics" - how uninspiring! What about "Super Dynamo Rider", for example? :party:

And "MTransient" - WTF? What about "Peak Boy"? :wheee:

:D well, everyone likes something different ;). I like when it is obvious what a plugin does. After all, check the preset names, there is quite creativity involved :D. Anyway it's out of topic really ;).
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote::D well, everyone likes something different ;). I like when it is obvious what a plugin does. After all, check the preset names, there is quite creativity involved :D. Anyway it's out of topic really ;).
If you had "MDrummer" called "Drum Turbo", you could be rich now, and all Hip Hop mice would be dancing around you! :hihi:

Now back to peak-riding...
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:D :D :D
Vojtech

You could just found a second company, muff a slightly different GUI over your plugs and sell them under cooler names like "Peak Governor" and "Drums From Hell".

Serious producers would buy MDrummer, and the Hip Hop kids would buy the Drums From Hell :D

Many companies do it like this in reality. Same product, just a little different boxing (and pricing, actually) for each respective clientele.

Return to “Effects”